U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-03-2010, 07:06 PM

399 posts, read 583,603 times

Advertisements

I'm am going to be shopping for a ground floor condo built in the last 5 years in Las Vegas and I read Las Vegas has poor water that is best if softened and filtered.
I want softening for the washing machine, shower and dishwasher and filtration to remove the softener sodium as well as all the regular contaminants from a kitchen water spigot (and to the water line for the refrigerator).
So, do condos generally have space and access to install a water softener that will simultaneously treat all incoming water (hot and cold)? When I'm touring condos, where should I look in the unit to verify this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 03:00 PM

101 posts, read 368,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdreloc View Post
I'm am going to be shopping for a ground floor condo built in the last 5 years in Las Vegas and I read Las Vegas has poor water that is best if softened and filtered.
I want softening for the washing machine, shower and dishwasher and filtration to remove the softener sodium as well as all the regular contaminants from a kitchen water spigot (and to the water line for the refrigerator).
So, do condos generally have space and access to install a water softener that will simultaneously treat all incoming water (hot and cold)? When I'm touring condos, where should I look in the unit to verify this?

In general, YES. Look for the water meter or the whole house shut off valve--often found near the water heater. However, Las Vegas is infamous for water quality, so builders normally put in a water treatment system loop for easy connection...may even include a by pass.

To determine if the valve shuts off all the water, shut the valve and then attempt to run water at all faucets and outside taps.

Filtering out the chlorine (before the softener) may be recommended for a number of good reasons.

An RO will remove sodium for drinking water purposes and can be (with some limitations) connected to the fridge. There are a few ROs that can connect to fridge without loss of pressure. Ice makers now have shut off solenoids that prevent many ROs from filling traysf ast enough.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 09-04-2010, 03:17 PM

399 posts, read 583,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy CWS View Post
In general, YES. Look for the water meter or the whole house shut off valve--often found near the water heater. However, Las Vegas is infamous for water quality, so builders normally put in a water treatment system loop for easy connection...may even include a by pass.

To determine if the valve shuts off all the water, shut the valve and then attempt to run water at all faucets and outside taps.

Filtering out the chlorine (before the softener) may be recommended for a number of good reasons.

An RO will remove sodium for drinking water purposes and can be (with some limitations) connected to the fridge. There are a few ROs that can connect to fridge without loss of pressure. Ice makers now have shut off solenoids that prevent many ROs from filling traysf ast enough.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
If the connection point is at the meter outside, then it would not be practical to have a water softener exposed outside due to weather exposure and being an eyesore. I think most condos have the hot water heater accessible behind a door on the patio/balcony, but I don't know if both hot a cold water intakes are accessible from there.

I'd like to have the fridge waterline connected to RO, but it is not a deal killer since the I can get a fridge with built-in filtering or else just buy a cheaper fridge and fill ice manually from the sink and use a water pitcher for water.
I absolutely do want whole house water softening and RO at the kitchen sink though.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:05 PM

101 posts, read 368,731 times
Keep us updated and someone can help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House