U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 09:03 PM

450 posts, read 4,897,579 times

Advertisements

I'm in the market for some nice furniture. I really don't like the idea of particleboard/veneers (have been looking at some furniture like this and it just looks so cheap, not to mention the off-gassing issues). I'd really like solid wood furniture. I've been looking into Kincaid and Gat Creek brands. What are others' experiences with these brands, as well as other top quality furniture brands?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 09:48 PM

12,330 posts, read 20,725,747 times
For solid wood and largely American made, we've had really good luck with Room and Board:

Modern Furniture - Room & Board

Very good quality at the price point, and excellent customer service.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:09 PM

450 posts, read 4,897,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
For solid wood and largely American made, we've had really good luck with Room and Board:

Modern Furniture - Room & Board

Very good quality at the price point, and excellent customer service.
Thanks for your response--I do really like Room and Board, but I find their look is too modern for my style. I prefer more traditional. Really good quality though.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:07 PM

29,984 posts, read 41,466,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
Thanks for your response--I do really like Room and Board, but I find their look is too modern for my style. I prefer more traditional. Really good quality though.
Pennsylvania House Furniture Collection

Henredon Furniture Industries

Hickory White - home

http://www.sligh.com/

Old 09-05-2010, 09:23 AM

12,330 posts, read 20,725,747 times
Do you live close to any Amish or Mennonite communities? Some of them do really lovely work to bring cash into the farm.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:52 AM

5,605 posts, read 23,911,369 times
Although I really like Henrendon and Thomasville furniture I found that I simply could not afford those brands. I wound up buying furniture imported from Asia.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:01 AM

29,984 posts, read 41,466,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Do you live close to any Amish or Mennonite communities? Some of them do really lovely work to bring cash into the farm.
Amish Furniture | Quality Amish made Furniture Available online

Old 09-05-2010, 11:39 AM

407 posts, read 1,511,596 times
I bought a beautiful Kinkaid dining room set (pedestal oval table with leaves, table pad, hutch, and 6 chairs) more than 15 years ago, and it has withstood 3 moves and looks as beautiful now as when I bought it... I looked long and hard to find the style I wanted, and it appeals to me just as much today... I found a really nice sofa (not a sleeper or recliner) from La-Z-Boy that is also holding up very well... I've spent many a night crashed on that in front of the fire, because it was just as comfortable as going up to bed.

No matter what people tell you, in many cases you DO get what you pay for... if you go too cheap, you'll be buying again fairly soon. Save up and get something solid and classic that you won't want/need to replace anytime soon. When you find what you want, take a step back, look some more, and then go back to see if it still is what you really want... either wait for the sales or try to bargain with the sales person... offering cash can get you a nice discount even in the chain stores... or sometimes they'll throw in some extras.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:45 AM

23,410 posts, read 35,498,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
try to bargain with the sales person... offering cash can get you a nice discount even in the chain stores... or sometimes they'll throw in some extras.
The big furniture companies have rules about how much you can discount, go below that price, and your franchise can get yanked. Its to prevent competition between stores selling the same product.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:53 PM

28,460 posts, read 81,422,282 times
Default Go for US based manufacturing firms...

Harden, Baker, Stickley and Thos Moser are about the only ones left with national distribution. Be prepared to pay eye poping prices...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House