U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 12:08 PM

119 posts, read 421,594 times
Question Wood floors and a Sound-proofing question

We are planning to install wood floors on the 2nd floor and are worried about noise. The 2nd floor has kids bedrooms & a game-room.

1. Which underlayment offers best sound proofing capability if installed below the wood floor? Can you mention specific brands/stores where I can buy such material?

2. What would be better from a sound-proofing perspective: low-cost hardwood floor or high-cost laminate? My budget permits a max of $3/sqfoot or thereabouts for material.

Thanks
Carol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 12:19 PM

9,125 posts, read 22,341,024 times
At $3/sf, you haven't even covered the cost of a decent flooring material, so you'll have to take what you can get with regard to soundproofing.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:35 PM

20,736 posts, read 32,507,164 times
Default Need to be more specific...

I assume currently the second floor is carpeted. Carpet is veery very effective in both preventing sound from being transmitted AND keeping the carpeted room quiet / free from echoes.

If you are considering a true hardwood floor that is mechanically fastened to the subfloor (generally with flooring staples that effectively nail it in place...) you must understand that the room will NEVER be as quiet as carpet. There is also a good possibility that more "impact noise" will be transmitted through the structure to rooms below / adjacent. Underlayment is generally not done for that sound control in that kind of application. Neither roofing felt nore rosin paper are very effective in isolating noises.

If you are contemplating a floating floor of engineered hardwood or laminate you would need to use an underlayment. Even with the highest quality underlayment the room it self can still be VERY echo prone / hollow sounding. To some folks that hollow sound is worse than any benefit that comes from isolating the transmission of impact sounds and frankly that isolating is generally just a bit betteer than typical mechanically fastened hardwood anyhow... Not a good solution.

Suggestion? If want hardwood that is a nice upgrade. If you are worried about noise invest in thick / heavy area rugs and get the kids involved in selecting them so they sit on them and do not rumble around the rooms.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:41 PM

Chet, thanks for the detailed reply. Frankly the only reason I am replacing the 2nd floor carpet is because my kids have Asthma. I am told that nailed/glued hardwood offers better sound proofing than a floating type hardwood floor. Nailed/glued hardwood hence do not even need underlayment. Is that correct?
Carol

Old 09-10-2010, 12:57 PM

20,736 posts, read 32,507,164 times
Default Like I said,depends on what sounds you mean...

The nailed down will transmitt the sounds of impact through the subfloor so if the kids are tap dancing or dribbling a ball are jumping around you are going to now about it. The standard practice among most wood floor manufacturers and installers is to have a layer of rosin impregnated paper or roofing felt but that is not for sound control.

In cases where the decision is made for asthma or other air quality issues hardwood wins out. Even the best manufactured type floating floor may have high levels of VOCs and that is exactly what you want to avoid for air quality issues.

You can get the materials for a bargain floor at less than $3 sq ft, but installation and a finish that has good air quality ratings (either when cured or through installation...) might be impossible to do on that budget.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:42 PM

15,820 posts, read 28,597,550 times
Take off your shoes. Problem solved.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:07 PM

40,871 posts, read 42,001,653 times
When i had a second floor home ;even with good insulation there is no stopping the noise really. So we had bound area rugs put in.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:24 AM

29,990 posts, read 18,675,335 times
Laminate has a loud, hollow sound, IMO.

It is important that the sub-floor be secured to the joists well rather than the very sloppy way most contractors use their nail guns today.

As has already been mentioned, rugs, shoes off, will help. Actually I think the sound of noise upstairs is comforting (to a degree). It is when kids are silent one has to wonder what mischief is afoot.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:36 PM

Thanks for the tips. I went to the local Home Depot & here is what I found:
- Prego Laminate (10 mm) was less than $3/sq foot & within my budget. 8 mm was even cheaper
- The only hardwood I could afford was bamboo at $1.7 / sq foot
At Home Depot, I was told that Laminate with an Underlayment (red carpet like stuff) which sells at $0.60/sq foot will help reduce noise.
Now I am not sure if I should go with Prego Laminate or the Bamboo hardwood.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:57 PM

40,871 posts, read 42,001,653 times
I will just tell you that the quality of laminate flooring vareies alot mostly with price form waht i learned from a friend who owns a flooring business. he unlike amny think that a good liminate makes perfect sense for some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House