Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 12:23 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times

Advertisements

Does anyone has any idea how much per sq. ft. it is to refinish/restain hardwood? I have Bruce prefinished hardwood (NOT engineered) and would like to refinish a darker color. Is it priced per sq. ft? I don't know how much I have, but if I had to give a rough estimate, I'd say approx. 550 sq ft....

I live in high COL area, so if you could let me know where you are I can add/subtract accordingly.

tia

eta: i forgot the most important part - 14 steps and a small landing (2.5ft square) after step 6 (the staircase turns to the right at that point ), plus railings.

Last edited by tahiti; 07-01-2007 at 12:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 03:27 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Does anyone has any idea how much per sq. ft. it is to refinish/restain hardwood? I have Bruce prefinished hardwood (NOT engineered) and would like to refinish a darker color. Is it priced per sq. ft? I don't know how much I have, but if I had to give a rough estimate, I'd say approx. 550 sq ft....

I live in high COL area, so if you could let me know where you are I can add/subtract accordingly.

tia

eta: i forgot the most important part - 14 steps and a small landing (2.5ft square) after step 6 (the staircase turns to the right at that point ), plus railings.
I'm in Florida, and I've refinished my hardwood floors:

There are different types of refinishing, but I think it usually falls into the range of $2-$4 per square foot.

New hardwood installation usually starts at $8 per square foot.

If you need sanding - it is so dusty, you may not want to be in the house while they do it.

I did it at a time when the house was vacant, so no furniture was in the way. It took about 4-5 days because it is an old home and I was doing the floors old style (wax...it takes 3 days to dry).

Old 07-02-2007, 06:04 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
We had some red oak floors refinished in our old house (and added some more). One room we originally thought we would carpet we ended up refinishing the floors. It was a 12x14 room and to sand and refinish that room it was about $600. Stairs are going to cost more because of the detail work involved.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:04 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
For your area of NJ, you can figure on anywhere from $3-5/SF. For that small of an area, I'd err toward the higher side. The stairs and rails will be a PITA- especially the rails, as it's difficult to sand them down enough to get the stain out and get to bare unstained wood. I'd say you'd be adding an easy $1,000+ to the price just with the stairs/rails. Can you perhaps paint the balusters and just refinish the rails? That may save you some $$$.

Bob

Old 07-03-2007, 07:36 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
If they have to move furniture around, it will cost more. We had to stay in a motel while our refinishing was done. The furniture was moved from one side of the house, that side was done and all the furniture moved while the other side was done. It was a mess and took about four days for the finish to dry properly in our humid climate. The motel and eating out for about a week added a good bit to the cost.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:53 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
thanks everyone. i think if we ever decide to do it, we'd go away for those few days, since it's my foyer, kitchen, hall, powder room that would be done, along with all the stairs - we'd have no way to get upstairs to the bedrooms.

thanks for the price estimates, i'm not surprised that doing the balusters and stairs would add about 50% to the cost. painting is a good idea, i'd have to look and see what colors would look nice.

bob, do you happen to know anyone in this area? morris/somerset/hunterdon cnty? you can PM me - thanks.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:22 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post

bob, do you happen to know anyone in this area? morris/somerset/hunterdon cnty? you can PM me - thanks.
There's a company called Extreme Hardwood that has done a few homes in my neighborhood, and they've done a nice job. I think they're based down in Monmouth County, so I don't know if they travel up that far.

Bob

Old 05-25-2010, 02:18 PM
bay

425 posts, read 2,926,009 times
Came across this old post. I am looking to refinish my stairs as well. We have 18 steps and 9 of them are brand new unfinished oak thread. However, as remodeling job going on, there are some dirts and paint on it so they will still need some light sanding/cleaning as well. I search the internet and it said that approx. $45 per stair. Is it a realisrtic number? We also have 2 unfinish handrail (brand new) need to match the stain.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:14 AM

11 posts, read 190,080 times
My advice: do it yourself. Rent a sander from home depot, buy some pads (total will be $300-$400) and take a weekend to sand, and a week to finish. Main point: MAKE SURE THE WOOD IS 100% CLEAN BEFORE FINISHING. After 7 thin coats of finishing, each extremely thin, it'll look fantastic.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:21 PM
bay

425 posts, read 2,926,009 times
I have 2 set of people come to quote the job. It came out around $1000 to refinish 20 steps thread, 4 handrails and 3 posts. We do have hand sander at home and my husband is thinking to DIY to save this $1000. However, he has been talking about it since last month and no work has been done........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House