Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 09:50 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times

Advertisements

We are remodeling a kitchen. The cabinets and appliances are in. I am a little confused where to put the handles on the cabinets and pantry that are next to the refrigerator. Usually I would put the handles so you open "away" from the refrigerator but it seems tight. Anyway here are a couple of pictures. What side would you put the handles on the 2 pantry doors? The upper and lower cabinet to the right of the refrigerator> And the upper corner cabinet?

Thanks for your help.

Closed-

Open-

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 09:54 AM

792 posts, read 4,488,147 times
I don't understand the question. The doors only open 1 way, so you put the handle on the side opposite the hinge. Putting the handle on the hinge side doesn't make sense.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:25 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
The uppers to the right of the fridge are the way I would want them.
The base to the right I would swing the other way.
And I'd reverse the swing on the pantry.

dedratermi- The doors can be easily reversed by flipping them around, since the hardware hasn't been installed. European hidden hinges mount to the face frame. Un-mount from face frame, flip door 180 degrees and remount.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:52 AM

44 posts, read 189,710 times
I think you meant to ask where to put the hinges on the door. Always put knobs / handles on opposite side as the hinge.

For the pantry doors, I would put the hinges on left side so that the doors don’t swing toward the path of traffic. We can't tell what is to the left of the pantry or the camera. If there is some sort of eating area, then the decision becomes harder as you may then would to go around the doors to get to the table / other room. If this is the case, I would leave as right hinge as it would be less of an obstacle.

The others I would leave the hinges as is.
bottom to right of fridge: a left hinge would box you in, but handle wouldn’t hit the other door. Could go either way.
upper to right of fridge: I would prefer a left hinge so door would be out of path of hands for counter to cabinet.
upper corner: a right hinge would box you in and would have to walk around the door to access inside.
The cabinets closest to the stove are probably singles with double doors. If so, their swing is fixed (one each way).

Old 09-24-2010, 11:56 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The uppers to the right of the fridge are the way I would want them.
The base to the right I would swing the other way.
And I'd reverse the swing on the pantry.

dedratermi- The doors can be easily reversed by flipping them around, since the hardware hasn't been installed. European hidden hinges mount to the face frame. Un-mount from face frame, flip door 180 degrees and remount.
I agree. The pantry looks weird opening that way. As far as the lower cabinet to the right of the fridge, I can see that you might not have enough room to have the door swing the other way.

Nice kitchen

Old 09-24-2010, 02:31 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Thank you all. Sorry if I wasn't clear...working on too little rest, lol. Yes we have to change the hinges and the handles would be opposite the hinges. The pantry is about a foot off of a door opening(no door) just open.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:44 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
I have similar cabinets and all the doors are routed on the bottom or top so handles are not required. We have none and I like it better that way.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:56 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
On handles
I would go center/center on the drawers.
Bottom doors three inches down from top, and center of the side style
Uppers three inches from bottom, center of side style
that large door next to the refrigerator I would drill center of side style, and center it up on the middle style.
I am not sure I would even install handles on the two doors over the refrigerator.

The doors almost look to be the type with finger grooves to be used without handles.
Often there is a small indent (inside or outside) where the manufacter suggest mounting pulls.
I tend to use fender washers on the inside to keep the screws from sinking into the wood.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
I'd have the pantry doors open the opposite to how you have them now. When you want things out of the pantry, you will already be standing IN the kitchen. You wont' want to walk around to the other side of the pantry to get stuff out of it.

The corner cabinet doesn't matter. It will bump into other doors no matter how it opens. That's just an area where you can only open one cabinet at a time.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:06 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,051,675 times
I agree with Hopes, most of what you do in the kitchen involves the counter. Having the pantry doors open the other way will allow easier access to the countertops.
Lovely kitchen BTW!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House