U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-03-2007, 03:36 AM

52 posts, read 152,963 times
Default Help Me Cover Up Water Heater

I really need help. I have my home on the market, and in my laundry room I have a small area that has the water heater in it. I need to cover it up. The woman before us, had a tension rod there with some awful country blue curtain. It did serve the purpose of covering the area up but I hated the color. I know I can do that again with a diffrent color of course, but I was thinking of a blind or something. The area I need covered is 96X52. Does anyone have any suggestions? I looked at JcPennys and Home Depot and unless I want to special order it (which I am not interested in spending that much money) they didn't have anything in that size.

HELP PLEASE!!

Amy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 05:52 AM

3,021 posts, read 16,125,522 times
Default Use a bifold door

Lot of those applications cover it up with a bifold door. Or you can get a folding closet door. These fold up like an accordian bellows. Might need a bit of wood / drywall to get it in. They do make some long vertical hanging blinds. To avoid special sizes you need to be able to reduce the opening size with some framing / drywall. Next guy that has to work on the water heater will love you.

Starting to sound like that tension rod and curtain will be back in action. Go for pink or mauve with stripes. One idea might be to get some fancy carpet runner and hang that and make it look like a musem piece.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:26 AM

52 posts, read 152,963 times
Yea I can do the bifold door, but my husband would have to make a header becuase they don't make a door that tall. It would just be too much work and he is not here to do it. So I don't know what to do now....

Old 07-03-2007, 08:16 AM

24,838 posts, read 30,109,705 times
How about hanging one of those stick bamboo shades from the ceiling or floor joists? I blocked off my basement work area with those, and they looked great. Or a white vinyl room divider, the kind that you see outdoors camoflauging garbage cans and the like.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:03 AM

54 posts, read 328,288 times
If your water heater is gas, your individual building codes just might not allow you to hang a very flammable curtain 2 inches from it.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:24 AM

7,334 posts, read 11,283,030 times
If you want to sell your house, don't Mickey Mouse it up, spend a few bucks and do it correctly. Hire a handy man and go with the bi fold doors. It won't be that expensive. A couple hundred bucks to sell a house is chicken feed.
Cut corners and watch the house sit there....!

Old 10-23-2008, 10:28 AM

1,079 posts, read 997,093 times
Get some flame retardant safety orange material. with a thick black indelible marker write 'DO NOT LOOK BEHIND THIS CURTAIN' or 'THIS IS A PRETTY WAY TO COVER THIS MESS'. Prospective buyers love that.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:57 AM

3,191 posts, read 5,484,969 times
get some standard bifold closet doors and hinge them together to make a standing room divider. Paint the same as your walls or match other doors and trim.see this for concept-http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cr_furniture/article/0,2025,DIY_13756_5053825,00.html

or google 'cheap room divider screens' and get stuff like-
Room Dividers Screens & Partitions

Old 10-23-2008, 12:38 PM

3,273 posts, read 10,192,068 times
crazyma has got it right. I see many homes that have a screen made out of free standing bi-fold doors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House