U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 07:31 PM

851 posts, read 2,007,540 times

Advertisements

Somehow there's some gas smell from my outside porch lantern.

This is a natural gas lantern and I haven't touched it since I bought the house (10 year old) a year and half ago.

The gas is properly burning as far as I can see. I noticed the old gas mantles were damaged, so I replaced them with new ones but can still smell some gas.

any idea before I call the gas company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 08:39 AM

3,328 posts, read 10,707,347 times
If you can smell gas, there is a leak. Call the gas company - NOW!

Old 10-10-2010, 08:48 AM

15,779 posts, read 14,021,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
If you can smell gas, there is a leak. Call the gas company - NOW!
If the gas smell is constant, definitely call the gas company AND a plumber! If the gas smell is only present when the lantern is turned on, the OP should only need a plumber.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:14 AM

The gas smell, though very little, is coming from the lantern. When I put my nose close the lantern, i can smell it. Over the time, the smell may accumulate some other parts of the front porch.

I do not have a separate shut off for the lantern.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:38 AM

6,773 posts, read 21,441,188 times
All gas appliances are required to have a shut-off. You need to find it pronto!
You say this lantern is on the porch- is it mounted to the wall of the house? If so, there should be an access panel on the inside or, if the house has a crawl-space or basement- there should be a shut-off directly below the area of the lantern.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:47 AM

It's mounted on a pole 10 feet away from the house. I only find the main gas shut off and a separate shut off for hot water.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:57 AM

8,310 posts, read 21,453,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
It's mounted on a pole 10 feet away from the house. I only find the main gas shut off and a separate shut off for hot water.
You shouldn't ever smell gas.

Centerpoint is all-in-all a pretty good company to deal with and, conservatively, they should be called first. Understand that they will come to your property with a sniffer and try to identify where the leak is coming from. If there is a leak on Centerpoint's side of the gas meter, they will fix it at no cost to you. If it is on your side of the gas meter, which a gas lantern is certainly going to be, they will probably shut off the lantern and tell you to call a plumber, but they may shut the gas off to your house until you get a plumber out to fix it.

I've sent you a PM with a recommendation for an extremely good, very professional plumber in your area.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:25 AM

6,773 posts, read 21,441,188 times
Yard gas lanterns are usually hooked up to the meter next to the house. You should see a small shut-off with a 1/4" copper line attached going into the ground. That should be the line.
And yes, they are known to get leaks- depending on the soil, it can deteriorate the copper. Or, if it didn't get buried deep enough, it got nicked by a shovel or maybe an aerator.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:20 PM

It seems the smell is coming from where the burners are.

I can't find the shut off valve. I only have 1 valve for the entire gas line.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:26 PM

14,393 posts, read 13,516,876 times
There could be a shut off valve under the burner, with a square or hex head rather than a handle or wheel on the valve, requiring a key of sorts to operate it (pliers work in a pinch).

Call a plumber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House