Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 06:37 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,564,719 times

Advertisements

Is there any restriction on what colour I can paint my mailbox - when I get one? The ones that look like this.....
Attached Thumbnails
US Mailboxes-mailbox.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 07:25 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Not unless there is a homeowner's association that wants all mailboxes to be uniform.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:40 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
depends on where you live. Some neighborhoods (HOAs) have rules. I personally like the brick surrounds. I miss having my own box. Now I have to walk to the corner to a community one.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:44 PM

I LOVE these mailboxes and the idea to leave your outgoing mail in it is brilliant !!
My husband has his list of requirements for whatever home we rent.... I just want one of these mailboxes and a big fridge !!

Old 10-13-2010, 08:10 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,980,794 times
If you are going to be renting I would daresay the owner of the house would frown on you replacing the mailbox, or painting it.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:25 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,339,457 times
That box appears to be exactly the one I have in Texas, i.e., black with a red flag and your appears to also be the large-sized one or C3 which is what I have. I painted my stand post white just this afternoon.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:53 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
You can paint them any color or shape in most places as long as they meet the post office height requriements. You can fnd some that are shaped like fish, boats, animals, houses, all kind of neat things.

Brick surrounds are generally illegal even though thousands of people have them. Your mailbox is supposed to be made of something that will break off in the event of a car accident. This is so it will not kill people if a car loses control and hits the mailbox. However in many places, kids will break them off on purpose, so many homeowners opt for illegal mailbox structures that will not break away.

You cna have a lot of fun with your mailbox. There are hundreds of shapes, sizes, colors configurations available. Or you can come up with your own creative idea. I have seen some that were carved from a tree stump. One was a lifesized bear and you put the mail in itsmouth.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:42 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,167,243 times
Yep, people do lots of things with mail boxes as long as they don't live where they might be restricted to conformity. Like HOA's, apartments, etc.
I know where there is a mailbox on a 15 foot pole. If you look close you can see "Airmail" written on it. LOL But there is a regular box beside it.
You can get plastic pre-made surrounds at most home improvement stores that will break off if a car hits it but still protect it from vandalizm such as kids throwing stuff at it or maybe swinging a baseball bat at it.
You can also get a box with a door on each end so you don't have to walk to the street side to retrieve your mail. And then there is the jumbo box. Almost as big as a 5 gallon can but with a flat bottom.
Almost anything goes as long as it is the right height and proper distance to the side of the road. (If your mailbox is along a road).
People get very creative. Especialy in the rural areas.
The best one I ever saw was in W.va. on RT 47 below Parkersburg. The house was up on a hill and the box was down at the road. Someone had built a track like apparatus on posts and mounted wheels on the box to ride on top and below the track. I guess sort of like a roller coaster setup.
A rope was attached to the box and to a home made wooden spool with a crank handle on the porch of the house. They cranked the handle and pulled the box up to the house to get the mail and then uncranked it to let the box roll back down to the road.
I was amazed. I should have took a picture.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:29 AM

ooh I'm gonna have great fun finding the right mailbox now !!

Old 10-15-2010, 12:11 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,537,386 times
Here are some ideas to get you started:

mailbox pictures - Google Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House