Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 10:14 AM

841 posts, read 552,712 times

Advertisements

OMG - have you smelled some people's feet?? I would rather have the shoes than the moist funk smell on their socks getting spread everywhere!

I normally do not wear shoes much inside, but that is just because I kick them off to be more comfortable. Exception is when I am cooking or washing dishes or something that will have me standing up on a hard surface for a bit. I put my shoes back on to have some cushion and support. Tried those mats, but I move around quite a bit in my kitchen and would have to have a ton of them!

At other peoples houses, I have had both the request not to wear shoes and also been where taking your shoes off is a sign of disrepect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 08:23 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Occasionally, I'll tell folks to leave their shoes on when coming into my house if the dogs have been tracking mud inside and I haven't mopped lately. Otherwise it is considered the height of rudeness to wear shoes into other people's houses. Of course, here in Hawaii, we don't generally wear shoes which are difficult to take off and on, either, so it is easy enough to leave "flip flops" at the door. Watching folks walk into other peoples' houses wearing shoes and not feeling embarrassed by it is a sure sign of them being someone "not from around here".

Old 04-03-2012, 04:54 AM

27,335 posts, read 27,387,014 times
We dont wear shoes in the house and dont have a lot of company but those who do come over usually take of their shoes anyway, we dont make them do so.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:34 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noshoesstacy View Post
I leave my shoes at the door all the time. It doesn't mater who's house I am at. I love being barefoot and it is cleaner. Everyone takes their shoes off when they come to my house. I think they see me barefoot and my shoes at the front door and they just remove theirs. I recently had my windows washed. When the window cleaner was done with the windows outside, he came in to clean the windows inside. He came in, saw my shoes at the door and that I was barefoot and removed his shoes. He said "I guess I should leave these here." It was awesome. So if you need a window cleaner in the Phoenix area, I suggest you use We provide Window Washing, Pool Cleaning and Pressure Washing in Phoenix They do a great job. Especially if you like people to remove their shoes in your home.
The company that we use for heating, AC and plumbing always has the guys put on disposable shoe covers every time they enter the house. I think this is very considerate, and I highly recommend this company.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:08 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
I read somewhere that 80-90% of the dirt in a home's floor is from shoes/outside.

Personally, if I had a lot of carpet, I'd think about asking. But I have hardwood floors which are fairly easy to clean. Also, I am a big fan of doormats and carpets for the foyer. I like the thick, bristly doormats (a really big demi-lune one) to scrape against shoes and I prefer wool carpets in the foyer.

Two points to think about:

1.) Not so bad with full leather shoes, but take a look at the bottom of something like sneakers with all those little tread lines in them. In those 'treads' are usually lots of little stones which scratch hardwood floor finishes. Lord only knows what else dwells on the soles of shoes, but you definitely don't want it in your house.

and,

2.) The solution is really simple. You certainly wouldn't wear outisde shoes in your own home. It is just a filthy habit that Americans have not broken...yet. So, at your door, you keep inside shoes, and when you take off the outside shoes, you put on the inside shoes and go on your way. When you visit somone, you take appropriate inside shoes--perfect for ladies who enjoy wearing tall heels which don't do well outside, anyhow--and you slip them on when you get where you are going. In urban areas, you see it all the time in a slightly different form: boots or sneakers for the commute; heels or flats when you get to your destination.

Really, quite simple once you get in the habit. And much better for everyone involved...not to mention that it is really bad for your feet to wear the same shoes for the entire day.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:10 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,763,762 times
I find it very off-putting when someone requires I remove my shoes upon entering their home. By doing so, their unspoken message is "my carpet & sparkling hardwood floors are much more important to me than your presence and feeling welcomed."

It's hard for me to see it in any other light.

So no, I would never require or even ask guests to do so.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:47 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
I find it very off-putting when someone requires I remove my shoes upon entering their home. By doing so, their unspoken message is "my carpet & sparkling hardwood floors are much more important to me than your presence and feeling welcomed."

The message that they are actually conveying is probably more like "I so enjoy your company in my house and am trying to keep it clean so that you and others will feel comfortable and welcomed to visit here often".

Just because somebody doesn't want mud and feces (and the airborne dust it creates) being tracked in their house is in no way off-putting to me, more like the height of hospitality to allow me to relax in a clean and comfortable environment.

I don't require it, but it sure says something about a person's respect for my house and hospitality when they instantly offer as I do when visiting or am invited as a guest.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:57 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,501,202 times
I don't tell our guests to remove their shoes but I ask at the door whenever I visit someone.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:07 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post

I kinda feel the same way..... I would never make/require someone to take their shows off. If someone asks, I tell them to do whatever is most comfortable for them. However, we've always had hard flooring (wood/tile/laminate) in the main part of the home. Our "bedroom floor" here is the ony one that has carpet and there's really no reason a casual guest would go up the stairs.

That being said - I take my shoes off when we're places where it is expected - ie we lived in Japan for several years, and we have friend here that are Thai, and friends that are from India.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:02 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,173 times
Personally, I never wear shoes around the house (except when out in the machine shop, as metal cuttings would really hurt).

As for guests, since most of them are asian, there is no need to ask them to take of their shoes, as it is considered impolite to wear them. But even still, virtually every one that comes here either asks or takes them off. Don't think this is a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House