U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 09:08 AM

1,492 posts, read 4,431,727 times
Default Do you make guests remove shoes?

Did a search on "remove shoes" and couldn't find a thread....

Do you make guests remove their shoes when they enter your home?

I've lived abroad and shoes ALWAYS came off at the door. But now that I'm back in the USA, it's weird to have people walk in my home with their shoes....tracking dirt, mud- you name it.

While I want my guests to feel comfortable, I also want my guests to offer respect to my home (like many other societies do) by removing their shoes.

What is a happy medium?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 09:54 AM

272 posts, read 580,706 times
My son and his new wife just bought a new house, and we take our shoes off at the front door.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:54 AM

820 posts, read 1,202,075 times
I went to someone's house during my house hunting days and they asked us if we would please put on a "booties" over our shoes. Like the ones that Dr's use. it was fine easy to do not uncomfortable. I personally would want to walk around someone elses house without my shoes on but had not problem putting the "booties" on

Old 10-14-2010, 10:11 AM

5,126 posts, read 6,898,344 times
I do but it's optional. It depends on who it is. A home improvement/repair person, no but a friend, yes.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:04 PM

41,867 posts, read 46,792,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Did a search on "remove shoes" and couldn't find a thread....
Try a search on "shoes guests" and you'll find MANY threads on this topic!

Do you wear shoes in the house?

Do you wear your shoes in the house?

Your House: Shoes on or Off??

Quote:
Do you make guests remove their shoes when they enter your home?
No. I prefer they keep their athlete's foot inside their shoes.

Quote:
But now that I'm back in the USA, it's weird to have people walk in my home with their shoes....tracking dirt, mud- you name it.
Don't you have a door mat for people to wipe off their shoes?

Quote:
While I want my guests to feel comfortable, I also want my guests to offer respect to my home (like many other societies do) by removing their shoes.
You're not living in many other societies. You are living in the United States.

Quote:
What is a happy medium?
I doubt it. You can ask, but do you really want people to feel uncomfortable in your home? If you're having a dinner party and guests arrive all dressed up, do you really want to make the women kick off their high heels and walk around in bare feet?

Old 10-14-2010, 12:07 PM

41,867 posts, read 46,792,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
I do but it's optional. It depends on who it is. A home improvement/repair person, no but a friend, yes.
This is backwards. I'd ask a repairman before I'd dare ask a friend. Contruction and repair workers should take off their shoes and boots. Many come to the house with booties or lay plastic or paper down to protet floors because these workers are the most likely to damage property. Companies know this and take precautions so they won't have to pay a carpet cleaning service.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:10 PM

1,492 posts, read 4,431,727 times
Wow- didn't know service people had plastic in their trucks...will definitely make this request.
And the booties are a great idea!

While I wish I had an official mud room, I don't. But what I do have is a sitting area at the front door complete with rug, chair, and shoe rack. And I often meet the Avon lady at the front door to pay her. So it's not like EVERYONE has to remove their shoes. It's just if someone is going to come in, walk around- I don't want shoes. Will definitely add booties to the shoe rack so I can just have people slip them on.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This is backwards. I'd ask a repairman before I'd dare ask a friend. Contruction and repair workers should take off their shoes and boots. Many come to the house with booties or lay plastic or paper down to protet floors because these workers are the most likely to damage property. Companies know this and take precautions so they won't have to pay a carpet cleaning service.
I would want a repairman to wear shoes because what happens if something falls on their feet?
The most likely repairman in my home would be a delivery: appliance or what not and they are not wearing booties or laying plastic or paper down.
My dad is from the old school camp and he has a point: don't hire someone to fix/repair the house that is dressed to the nines and needs booties to walk around the house! He's right; I got an estimate for some insulation installed and I got quoted $7k from a guy in nice slacks and I got a $1,500 quote from a guy who came by who was in steel toe boots, dirty jeans and a t-shirt. Same insulation. The casually dressed guy was more knowledgeable about insulation than the business casual guy. I have many other instances such as the electrician for our home, the plumber, and roofer.
Overall, I'd rather that an installer/repairman dirty for my floors temporarily to get the job done right than have to worry about getting dirt on my floors. It's a one time deal. Having my friends over is a almost every weekend event, different friends at times so I'd constantly clean my floors at least every 2 or 3 days.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If you're having a dinner party and guests arrive all dressed up, do you really want to make the women kick off their high heels and walk around in bare feet?
I don't have dinner parties but I'm thinking about instances where folks were visiting and the gals did take off their heels because they didn't like the sound on the laminate floors.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:10 PM

21,387 posts, read 11,937,632 times
Only if they're city folk who don't look down when they're walkin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House