U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-15-2010, 04:48 PM

10,436 posts, read 10,173,161 times

Advertisements

My son is replacing the carpet in a bedroom. The old carpet, pad, and tack strips have been removed. There is a crack in the slab that extends across the room. There is no evidence of any structural problem such as cracks in the walls. The crack is only a couple of millimeters wide. The house is about 10 years old.

Is there any reason to do anything to seal the crack before laying new pad and carpet? The pad and carpet are better quality. What is the likelihood the crack will eventually be visible under the carpet?

Thanks to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 06:01 PM

5,291 posts, read 10,364,793 times
There are two possible repairs that I am aware of.

Home Depot has a Concrete sealer in a Caulking tube.

Another way would be to get some dry concrete cement...pour over crack and brush/broom into the crack...add some water to make a paste that will fill/desolve into the crack thus sealing any future water up into the padding and new carpet.

Slabs are prone to crack due to soil underneath settling etc. Same could be said with slabs in a car garage.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
There are two possible repairs that I am aware of.

Home Depot has a Concrete sealer in a Caulking tube.

Another way would be to get some dry concrete cement...pour over crack and brush/broom into the crack...add some water to make a paste that will fill/desolve into the crack thus sealing any future water up into the padding and new carpet.

Slabs are prone to crack due to soil underneath settling etc. Same could be said with slabs in a car garage.

Many thanks. I'll pass the word on.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:56 PM

31,385 posts, read 18,539,137 times
How to Evaluate Cracks in Poured Concrete Slabs

Old 10-15-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Wow, that's a lot of info! Thanks!

This is just a spec house in a large subdivision in Georgia. No way to know what's actually in the slab. He'll be taking up the carpet in another room, too. We'll see what that one looks like.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:04 AM

1,227 posts, read 2,842,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
My son is replacing the carpet in a bedroom. The old carpet, pad, and tack strips have been removed. There is a crack in the slab that extends across the room. There is no evidence of any structural problem such as cracks in the walls. The crack is only a couple of millimeters wide. The house is about 10 years old.

Is there any reason to do anything to seal the crack before laying new pad and carpet? The pad and carpet are better quality. What is the likelihood the crack will eventually be visible under the carpet?

Thanks to all.
The crack could be either normal shrinkage or potentially very minor sign of foundation movement. Either way it does not appear to be anything significant at this point. However since you have the carpet up I would recommend spending a few extra dollars and using an expoxy injection repair method that is very easy to do. Most of the crack fillers and repair materials in the home stores are more for aesthetic and water seepage prevention. Unfortunately quite a few of those do not last as long as carpets can last. An epoxy injection would not only fill the void but also will bond the two sides of the crack together and add some measure of reinforcement to the crack. Here are some descriptions of epoxy injection, what it is and how to perform it:

http://www.curee.org/projects/EDA/do...A01-public.pdf
EPOXY-TIE® Injection Guide ~ Simpson Strong-Tie Anchor Systems®
Concrete & Waterproofing Solutions | Repair Types
http://www.sikacorp.com/con-prod-app-crir.htm

Home Depot sells the Sika "Sikadur" epoxy injection product in a self filling/leveling tube that is dispensed with a standard caulking gun. There are other products available as well and if you Google "Epoxy Injection" you will see them advertised. The Sika product is one of the easier ones on a horizontal surface, and actually easy on vertical wall cracks as well. Just keep in mind that it is a liquid and will penetrate the crack so it could potentially use much more than you expect.

The urethane based crack sealers are think and will not necessarily penetrate down into the crack and they are just for water protection so you would use considerably less of it. My own personal opinion is to spend the extra money now to help prevent additional issues later.

Good luck and let us know how it works whichever method you choose.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:17 AM

15,819 posts, read 32,425,087 times
All concrete cracks. 100% of it. That is the nature of concrete. It cracks as it cures. You just have to figure out if it is structural or just a shrinkage crack.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:02 AM

3,351 posts, read 10,920,412 times
If the crack is small (less than 1/8" wide) and there's little displacement, its probably not anything to get worried about. A quick measure of displacement is to put a nickel on one side of the crack. If the other side of the crack is the same height as the nickel, then you may have a concern.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with high priced epoxy fillers for such a small crack. Unless you used compressed air or a shop vac to get all the loose stuff out of the crack, you will not get good adhesion anyway. Most of the epoxy systems are not a quick, home owner type repair.

Just my take, but I haven't seen the cracks either.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:19 AM

28,505 posts, read 21,629,733 times
You'll find in your subdivision all the homes will have a 'settling' crack, nothing unusual, that's normal. With that small of a crack I'd seal it with some form of concrete sealer that you can find easily at the "do it yourself stores". I recently did this crack sealing on 3 homes just to prevent any bugs from working their way up.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
You'll find in your subdivision all the homes will have a 'settling' crack, nothing unusual, that's normal. With that small of a crack I'd seal it with some form of concrete sealer that you can find easily at the "do it yourself stores". I recently did this crack sealing on 3 homes just to prevent any bugs from working their way up.
That's what he ended up doing. We don't know whether it was necessary or not, but keeping the bugs out sounds good to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House