U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 08:15 PM

433 posts, read 2,375,027 times

Advertisements

Does all wood furniture smell like lacquer or varnish? When I go into furniture stores, I can smell a heavy smell of either cheap wood products or lacquer or varnish in the air, especially when I open the drawers of the furniture or cabinets. It's a very sour smell. Real wood furniture smells better or not at all, but is very expensive.

I really like wood furniture but the smell really bothers me. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 08:21 PM

21,581 posts, read 36,483,036 times
Default I suspect what you are smelling is ...

...the trapped misery of Chinese workers!

But seriously, solid wood furniture does NOT have an odor. Inexpensive finer board covered with veneer usually has a lot of cheap glue to hold the veneer in place.

Cured la***** and varnish do not emit odors. No respects le furniture stoore would have furniture that has ore than a fully cured finish.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:09 AM

11,962 posts, read 13,780,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
Real wood furniture smells better or not at all, but is very expensive.
That's just one reason to avoid all the Chinese junk and buy real.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:16 AM

8,008 posts, read 3,245,066 times
If you can afford it, buy the real wood furniture, but preferably not cheap pine.
It will last long enough for great-grandchildren to inherit it, or maybe longer.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:30 PM

3,286 posts, read 5,145,638 times
Yeah, the cheapo Made in China stuff will smell from chemicals and glues they use. Much of it is some cheap wood covered over with a veneer "better" wood just for looks. With all the problems they've had with lead paint in toys, who knows what will be next regarding glues and adhesives and stains they're using.

Real wood won't smell (unless it's really dingy or moldy) except when you're refinishing it and the natural smell of the wood will emerge. Try looking for real wood furniture, even if it's something that may need refinishing. It should be better quality, last much longer, and can be cleaned when needed.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:27 PM

433 posts, read 2,375,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
If you can afford it, buy the real wood furniture, but preferably not cheap pine.
It will last long enough for great-grandchildren to inherit it, or maybe longer.
What's wrong with pine?

Old 10-18-2010, 06:45 PM

8,008 posts, read 3,245,066 times
Quote:
What's wrong with pine?
Where do I start?

Itís too soft.
It doesnít have much strength.
It is hard to get a good finish on.
It splinters and chips easily.
It splits.
It is unlikely to last very long, unless you really look after it.
It doesnít look very good.

So many more reasons, I am sure.

It does smell nice though!

Old 10-18-2010, 06:45 PM

23,443 posts, read 17,666,171 times
Quote:
What's wrong with pine?
Its a very soft wood, prone to dents and scratches.
Also, the knots can make the wood split.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:24 PM

15,819 posts, read 31,825,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Where do I start?

Itís too soft.
It doesnít have much strength.
It is hard to get a good finish on.
It splinters and chips easily.
It splits.
It is unlikely to last very long, unless you really look after it.
It doesnít look very good.

So many more reasons, I am sure.

It does smell nice though!
Have you ever seen old growth Yellow Pine? It is hard, strong, beautiful and holds up very well. Many of my floors are made of it and they are still going strong after 170 years.

You can still find some yellow pine and there is lots available that has been salvaged. Or buy furniture that is already made of it.

I also have a pine table from the early 1700s that is still holding up just fine. I am not sure what species of pine it is. It does have some dings in it, but heck I am nowhere near 300 years old and I have some dings. .

Old 10-18-2010, 07:27 PM

23,443 posts, read 17,666,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Have you ever seen old growth Yellow Pine? It is hard, strong, beautiful and holds up very well. Many of my floors are made of it and they are still going strong after 170 years.

You can still find some yellow pine and there is lots available that has been salvaged. Or buy furniture that is already made of it.

I also have a pine table from the early 1700s that is still holding up just fine. I am not sure what species of pine it is. It does have some dings in it, but heck I am nowhere near 300 years old and I have some dings. .
Thats heart pine, completely different critter than southern pine, which is what most really cheap pine furniture is made from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House