Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 11:19 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,378,383 times

Advertisements

The approach to "backsplashes" is personal. For example if you are a person whose focus is function, you are guided by the original intent of backsplashes. They were originated to keep food from spattering the walls, and the significant cursing that follows from rubbing the paint off when you scrubbed wine and spaghetti sauce spots too hard. If this is your personality, use the material that is easiest to clean, i.e smooth surface (granite, corian, glass) with no grout.

In contrast, if you are a design freak, and you share pictures of your HGTV inspired kitchen at parties, use any material with dominant color or texture. You are the type of person to gaze at your kitchen in rapture, rather than do the "exploding flour dance" when baking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 09:40 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
I went with the 4 inch granite backsplash. I wanted to do subway tile and still may at some point. For me cost was a factor. The 4 inch backsplash didn't cost me anything since I paid for the granite slab and those pieces were just what was left. I do find that a back splash can date a kitchen quickly depending on the design. When we replaced our counters I was grateful the previous owners didn't do a backsplash. We have renovated several homes and had to remove backslashes. It was a real pain in the neck. I use quality paint and never had an issue of paint coming off the walls.

Old 03-27-2019, 05:46 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,194,222 times
We chose quartz for our countertops in the kitchen, although it has a marble look to it. We chose Pietra Antica polished marble for the back splash. For the 4" back splash and around the picture frame part of the backsplash it will be :
Imperial Pearl Polished
1x4 Mosaic ​12x12 Sheet

We are doing a picture frame in the center and we will be using :

Imperial Pearl Polished
Elongated Hexagon Gray Dot for the center of the picture frame.

Our kitchen cabinets are white I wanted to keep the kitchen light and airy.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:22 AM

37,592 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Come on! This is a 12-year-old thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House