U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-18-2010, 09:11 PM

789 posts, read 1,668,766 times
Question Are there any ways to reduce the temperature of a bedroom besides an open window?

Here's the deal. Our bedroom is in the lower level of our house (basement, sort of) which also has the furnace and washer/dryer. We cannot close in the room to the furnace because that would probably damage our w/d set due the extremes of heat in winter and cold in summer. When the heat is on, it gets pretty hot in our room and is uncomfortable to sleep sometimes. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to lower the room temp with other than an open window? If push comes to shove, we probably can do this (with a security bolt installed), but I just wanted to see if anyone has a better alternative I hadn't considered.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 09:27 PM

3,338 posts, read 9,460,127 times
What's putting heat into the room? If the heat has a plenum with a vent to the room, close the vent. If there is heat coming from the furnace, there may be something wrong. It should not be hot in the room where the furnace is unless there is not enough ventilation for the furnace. There should be some heat, not enough to heat a room to the point of being too hot. Unless I do not understand what your saying.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:34 PM

26,365 posts, read 51,661,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post
I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to lower the bedroom temp with other than an open window?
You could try getting Lucy and Ricky beds.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:52 PM

789 posts, read 1,668,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
What's putting heat into the room? If the heat has a plenum with a vent to the room, close the vent. If there is heat coming from the furnace, there may be something wrong. It should not be hot in the room where the furnace is unless there is not enough ventilation for the furnace. There should be some heat, not enough to heat a room to the point of being too hot. Unless I do not understand what your saying.
I think you're understanding what I'm saying. You make a good point I hadn't considered. Our room has three vents plus one in the closet. They are all sealed as tight as they could be. The sole source of the heat cranking the high temps is the furnace (and it can be pretty chilly in the summer with the air on too).

I'll try to post a pic of what the unit looks like.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:15 AM

10,146 posts, read 7,431,177 times
Install a ceiling fan. Just in case to don't have a receptacle in the ceiling then run the wires into an extension cord.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:16 AM

3,225 posts, read 9,671,997 times
Ceiling fan and/or closing the registers off.

By the way, if the heat source (the furnace) is gas or oil, it's not allowed to be in a bedroom.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:12 AM
B4U

3,564 posts, read 3,730,405 times
I would say a ceiling fan as moving air always feels cooler than stagnant. But you're in a basement, so I doubt the ciling height will allow for one.
As ShaneSA stated, there souldn't be that much heat coming from the furnace. And if there is, check your vents. Also, if there is that much heat coming, I would also worry about air quality.
If all those things are ok, I would check into a portable a/c unit, which, depending where you live, maybe difficult to find this time of year, being a warm season item. But they can be found online.

PORTABLE AIR-CONDITIONER:

Portable Air Conditioners

Air Conditioners
If you are in need of an effective and efficient cooling system for your room, you are the prime candidate for a portable air conditioner. This device will make the air in your room really cool. It’s as easy as ABC. No installation hassles and other inconveniences. All you need to do to make the air cool and pleasant on summer hot days is to switch on your portable airconditioner and relax. That’s it!

Old 11-19-2010, 11:09 AM

3,225 posts, read 9,671,997 times
B4U - just because its a basement does not mean there are low ceilings. My finished basement has the same 8' ceilings the other floors (main level and 2nd floor) do.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:38 AM
B4U

3,564 posts, read 3,730,405 times
Being 8' ceilings, and about a 9" to 12" drop for a flush-mounted fan brings it down to near 7'. Especially if it has a light-kit included.
Unless you are going to put a fan directly over the bed, or centering it, one would have to be careful to get the proper blade length, depending on room size for good air distribution, and moving tall objects or people or arms around.
Just saying...
(BS, glad things worked out for you.)

Old 11-19-2010, 01:13 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,396,082 times
Install some vents in your ceiling so the heat travels up to the next floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House