U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 10:12 PM

4,048 posts, read 11,474,945 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but would like to know if it's common to tip a professional house painter (painting the inside of a house) in addition to his fee - house has high walls and ceilings - he's painting several rooms including bedrooms, kitchen, liv/din. room etc. He's a family friend and is doing a very good job, we've never had a house painted and just want to know the correct protocol and if so, how much - ? Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 10:17 PM

12,900 posts, read 11,867,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but would like to know if it's common to tip a professional house painter (painting the inside of a house) in addition to his fee - house has high walls and ceilings - he's painting several rooms including bedrooms, kitchen, liv/din. room etc. He's a family friend and is doing a very good job, we've never had a house painted and just want to know the correct protocol and if so, how much - ? Thx.

a tip would be great. give what you can.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:21 PM

4,048 posts, read 11,474,945 times
Thank you. We have somewhat mixed feelings in that we dont tip plumbers and other ppl who make service calls etc (alth. they're usually in and out pretty fast unlike the painter) but at the same time we want to do the right thing.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:08 PM

432 posts, read 2,592,349 times
When in doubt I usually tip. When i moved for the first time, I did not know it was etiquette to tip the movers. They seemed a bit disappointed by the end of it.

Well, 6 months later I had to move again, and guess who showed up, the same guys!! I gave them both huge tips (before the did the moving) and I was happy to have been able to make things right.

I don't see why it would be different for a plumber or painted, unless they are ripping you off. Keep in mind, if you **** them off they know where you live

Old 12-05-2010, 07:05 AM

26,636 posts, read 58,637,044 times
Default I disagree...

Most professional painters are not like waiters or hairdressers. They give you a written estimate of what they will do and what it will cost. They have professional insurance / bond so that they'd not need to hold you liable for injuries or damage.

Many own their own business. Business owners are often insulted when offered a tip, implies they do not know how to charge for their services...

Instead of a cash gratuity they would probably feel much better with written recommendations to put into their book of satisfied clients AND your good word or mouth to others who might need painting done.

If they are a friend or relative you could get them a GIFT put that is a separate issue, not a tip, but a way of reinforcing the friendship...

Old 12-05-2010, 07:20 AM

12,085 posts, read 30,035,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornb17 View Post
I don't see why it would be different for a plumber or painted, unless they are ripping you off. Keep in mind, if you **** them off they know where you live
And everybody knows construction workers are just a $5 tip away from turning into either ax murderers, or burglars.

Speaking as someone who can spend considerable time in another persons house working on a project, let me give the other side of the coins view on tipping. If the person working on the project (plumbing, electrical, painting, building, etc...) is an employee of the company and is doing a great job, then a tip to show your personal appreciation for their efforts are very nice to receive. It shows that their level of commitment to doing the job the best they can IS seen and understood by the customer. Especially this time of year. It really is not expected though, you understand when you go into this type of work that you don't get tips, you don't get a pat on the back from every customer, you will get the wage you agreed on and that is that. An honest days pay for an honest days work... nothing more, nothing less.

If you are the owner of the company, then your "tip" is the labor costs part of the bill after overhead. You set your hourly price to cover everything and to pay yourself in the end. Every job you walk onto you have looked over and usually made a quote for that job taking into consideration the difficulty of the job, the time it is going to take, the materials involved, and a small cushion for the unexpected.

I've been on both the employee side and the owner side; as well as homeowner side and contractor side of these interactions. A tip is always deeply appreciated and never "expected". If you think the painter is doing a job that is better than expected or that he is putting extra effort, then a tip may be a nice way of showing him that you do see the extra he is doing. If it is what you expected and nothing more, then the final price is fine. As a business owner the best case scenario you expect is when you hand them the final bill, they look at it, tell you to wait a minute and cut a check or hand over the cash right then. No waiting, no wondering if or when you will get paid. A little extra puts a nice spring in your step, and a smile on your face on the way out of the house and to your truck.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:03 AM

26,348 posts, read 73,850,352 times
I have a physiological problem in that I am incapable of saying, writing, or typing that three letter word that starts with t and ends with p. It is one of my least favorite words along with "valet", "boutique", "imported", and "gratuity".

Old 12-05-2010, 09:18 AM

24,854 posts, read 27,456,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Most professional painters are not like waiters or hairdressers. They give you a written estimate of what they will do and what it will cost. They have professional insurance / bond so that they'd not need to hold you liable for injuries or damage.

Many own their own business. Business owners are often insulted when offered a tip, implies they do not know how to charge for their services...

Instead of a cash gratuity they would probably feel much better with written recommendations to put into their book of satisfied clients AND your good word or mouth to others who might need painting done.

If they are a friend or relative you could get them a GIFT put that is a separate issue, not a tip, but a way of reinforcing the friendship...
A tip IMO, is a compliment.

I have been given cash.

Also, bread, cookies, candy, lots of flowers and a puppy!!!

Old 12-05-2010, 09:55 AM

12,085 posts, read 30,035,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
A tip IMO, is a compliment.

I have been given cash.

Also, bread, cookies, candy, lots of flowers and a puppy!!!
I admit it, I like the food tips equally as well as a cash tip. Want to win preferential treatment? A cup of hot chocolate and a home-baked goodie on a cold job. Or an ice cold tea or soda and an ice cream sandwich on a blistering hot day. With those two offerings... I'm hooked. LOL

Old 12-05-2010, 11:17 AM

9,338 posts, read 5,758,683 times
I don't usually tip those kind of people unless they do something that wasn't part of the deal and don't charge for it. I will always offer them a drink (soda, coffee, etc) and sometimes something to eat (snack).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House