U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 10:51 AM

40 posts, read 126,601 times

Advertisements

We realized that the bathroom vanity in our newly bought house is only 30.5" high, while majority of the bathroom vanity is at 32". the builder said it was because the Birch was picked for the house. All birch cabinets in bathroom come in at 30", while maple and others come in as 32". We didn't aware of this difference since the house was an inventory house. Now we try to have builder raise the vanity to 32". But they said it would cost a lot and refuse to do it. My question is: is it really hard to do? And how much it would cost us if we do it by ourselves after closing? We have one double vanity bathroom and two single vanity bathroom. Thank you all!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 11:22 AM

4,898 posts, read 10,443,966 times
Not sure that I understand. Is it really that big of a deal to have the bathroom vanity 1.5" lower than the rest of the house cabinets?

Old 12-14-2010, 12:52 PM

8,509 posts, read 12,655,100 times
I guess you'd have to think about how you might "raise" the height of the cabinet without replacing it entirely. I'm not sure there's an easy way that also looks good. You might post in the House forum for some ideas.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:08 PM

716 posts, read 1,049,415 times
You would have to shim it up with a 2x2 or something. Then you'll have to get some type of trim work or facing to cover over that 2x2 that you put under it, which would be a PITA and that bottom edge along the floor will probably just never end up looking right.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:46 PM

10,653 posts, read 6,544,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
You would have to shim it up with a 2x2 or something. Then you'll have to get some type of trim work or facing to cover over that 2x2 that you put under it, which would be a PITA and that bottom edge along the floor will probably just never end up looking right.
I agree, in the end it would cost more and likely look like hell. If it's really that big of a deal i'd just buy a new one.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:50 PM

10,427 posts, read 29,987,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tianwaifeixian View Post
We realized that the bathroom vanity in our newly bought house is only 30.5" high, while majority of the bathroom vanity is at 32". the builder said it was because the Birch was picked for the house. All birch cabinets in bathroom come in at 30", while maple and others come in as 32". We didn't aware of this difference since the house was an inventory house. Now we try to have builder raise the vanity to 32". But they said it would cost a lot and refuse to do it. My question is: is it really hard to do? And how much it would cost us if we do it by ourselves after closing? We have one double vanity bathroom and two single vanity bathroom. Thank you all!!!
Here's the deal. Your builder is lying to you. They lie as often as cops and politicians. Maybe more. A new house and your builder is putting in 30.5" tall vanities?!?!?!?!?!? You can't see me now but I'm banging my head from hearing how your builder is duping you.

There are only 2 height vanities that exist. The only one that should be used today is 34.5" high which is exactly kitchen height. It is commonly called adult height. Add for the counter top. Old style which is perhaps pre 1999 or so would be 31.5" high. There is a variation to this where I have seen 30.5" high as your builder is shoving up your shoot but they are almost always a cheap no name brand who do not even follow industry standards.

Wood species has nothing to do with height as your builder was trying to say with their long Pinocchio nose. What you said your builder told you about maple coming in one size and birch in another is pretty close to me like trying to convince you that I just hit the pick 6 lotto on 10 consecutive nights in a row and want to share it with you. We just caught them in a very serious lie. Tell me if you should trust anything they tell you anymore. Let me take this further. They called you stupid by telling you that story. You should be insulted.

Now for how to raise it. Raise it to where it should be. 34.5" tall. You did not say if this vanity is wall to wall or one end exposed. What we used to do before the adult height vanities became the norm was to build a platform the vanity sits on. Vanities as well as kitchen base cabinets get a toe skin. We would just use a taller toe skin to cover the home made platform. What you get is a 7.5" tall toe kick. On the sides you purchase a side base skin usually called a BEP35 to cover the platform and side all as one. Of course this skin and toe skin matches your cabinet color and wood species. You will have to get a longer drain tube and feed lines.

Or you can just demand a proper vanity at adult height like they should do in the first place. Keep in mind some builders will put the short vanities in all the secondary baths but the master bath absolutely should have adult height. Whatever the case these issues should be spelled out in the initial contract. I do understand that these contracts are not easy to read and longer then a politician's or cops nose but they do need to be read and everything questioned.

Good luck

Old 12-14-2010, 04:49 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,052,524 times
I am assuming the 30.5 is the height prior to the counter being installed. You'll gain 1.5 inches from that. Another thing to do might be basicall putting a frame of 1.5s on top of the vanity and running a deeper lip around the edge to cover it. Same as DS's suggestion but on the top instead of the bottom. But that could be a PITA as well.

By inventory- you meant this is an existing spec home, correct? If you shop clearance or returns it might end up cheaper/easier to just swap the whole thing our instead of all the rigging & fussing.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:53 PM

4,919 posts, read 10,661,719 times
vanity heights can vary depending on use. If made to mount a standard sink they are usually one common height, but if they were designed for a vessel sink, ADA, or to be used as a makeup table, they are another shorter height. The shorter height lets the bottom of the cabinet and toe kick line up correctly with regualr cabinets. Its possible your builder screwed up the order and for some reason ordered the wrong cabinet and don;t want to eat the cost of replacing it and reinstalling new along with any fixes because of it.

By any chance do you have tile floors? if so they may have installed for thin sheet vinyl and the tile makes them shorter. You can see this if you measure the toe kick and it's not the standard height but a inch or so shorter.

Like desert sun, I can't imagine how wood types makes any difference since you can order pantry high cabinets in birch so wood type has nothing to do with it. If you go to any online cabinet website you'll see birch cabinets in many heights. Someone is trying to pull something over on you. Just the saying that its because of wood types makes me wonder what other nonsense they may have pulled in the house. You may want someone to go over it with a fine tooth comb so your not having a 36" panel door planned to a 24" opening because the MDF premade doors only come in 36" or some other nonsesnse like that.

The wood type as an excuse is utter BS so that tells you your builder isn;t being honest with you.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:46 PM

226 posts, read 651,913 times
What desertsun41 posted is the absolute truth!

Don't be duped. You can have EXACTLY what you want.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:23 PM

3,987 posts, read 3,436,746 times
Man, I love it when desertsun gets on a roll. He hit the nail on the head with the entire post, so just print it off and take it to the builder. That should solve the argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House