Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What direction should the front of the house face?
North 4 12.12%
South 13 39.39%
East 8 24.24%
West 4 12.12%
other, no preference 4 12.12%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 11:47 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times

Advertisements

Of course the home site itself is the most important determiner, but if all things were equal otherwise, which direction should your house face?

I wonder because many cultures had specific tradions and beliefs in this regard. Plains indians always faced their Tipis East, and Chinese Feng Shui says a house should face South, for example.

What is your initial preference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 12:16 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
I specifically bought one facing South when we built our new house...our driveway is cleared and dry while the folks across the street still have ice and snow on it.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:01 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
And in the sunny SW there is a distinct advantage to facing south...you can actually use your patio.

With a proper overhang you block the high summer sun to the south while allowing the lower winter sun in the windows.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:33 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,941,851 times
For Regions with Cold Winters:

South (more or less) to melt the snow on the driveway and walkway to the front door. If it's facing North, it turns to ice and stays there way past the time the other sides are melted.

For the house, it actually has to do with passive heating of the house in the Winter. South facing windows will let light in to heat the floor, which then radiates it throughout the night.

If the front of the house doesn't have any significant windows to let the light/heat in, then another part of the house might be better to have a South or Southwest facing orientation. The driveway could still have a Southeast orientation and get more than enough exposure to stay clear.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I depends on the regional climate and the type of house.

In a climate with winter weather, it's desirable for the largest expanse of house with windows to face south with the west side of the house having many windows too. This allows the sun to help warm the house in the winter. In an extremely hot climate, you'd want to do the opposite and have most of your windows facing north and east. THE OTHER most important placement for areas with winter is the roof design. It should slope of the east and west sides. If it slopes north and south, the snow won't melt as quickly on the the north side of the roof. But east and west slopes get sunlight throughout the day to melt snow.

Since our summers are very hot and humid, it's important that the porch, deck and/or patios aren't on the West side of the house. These are outside areas you want to enjoy in the evenings. The west side of the house gets too much sun in the evenings in the summer. The east side of the house is where the house is naturally shaded by the house blocking the sunlight.

In the end, a house can face any direction, but the design of the house and where windows are placed are of the most importance. Placement of outdoor living areas is also important.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 31,990 times
Hi! Yet this is my first post on this forum and i am new here i think that a house should always face east direction.If we think from a religious point of view then also choosing east will be a better option.if not east then i would like to suggest you to choose north.One benefits of choosing east is that your home will face the sunny side of street so your ice will not also stop you it will melt fast i think

Old 12-24-2010, 08:42 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Hi Kapilv- welcome to city data.

I'd say it depends upon where you live. In the hot climates you might want to situate your house so that your backyard was shaded in the afternoon, but in a cooler climate the reverse. We've had a house in Ohio facing east and also in GA facing east... kinda wish the Ga house was facing in a way that shaded the back of the house in the afternoon. At any rate, I think the home designer should plan the windows, or lack of windows, in a house according to the site. At least my house has no windows at all on the south side, which is great for keeping out the summer heat.

Hopes, I just read what you wrote. I seriously wasn't copying.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:24 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Interesting link:
Front Entrance | Feng Shui Chinese

I'd add that the front entrance is not necessarily the entrance most often used by the homeowner. I prefer a West facing front door however the door I use most and the driveway I use I prefer to have a southern exposure (snowmelt and out of the wind for my geographic area).

Old 12-25-2010, 10:20 AM

1,941 posts, read 9,237,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Interesting link:
Front Entrance | Feng Shui Chinese

I'd add that the front entrance is not necessarily the entrance most often used by the homeowner. I prefer a West facing front door however the door I use most and the driveway I use I prefer to have a southern exposure (snowmelt and out of the wind for my geographic area).

My last house faced the east; I didn't like it because the living room and patio were so hot in the afternoon.

I designed our current house facing south and I love it. the rooms on the back of the house aren't hard to keep cool, and the patio is never hot in the afternoon. My bedroom windows face east so on the rare mornings I'm not already up before the sun, it get a sunrise through the windows.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:28 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,530,555 times
Interesting question.
My NY house I built ten years ago faces north. The driveway does not seem to be a problem at all. Many times house direction is dictated on property lines, what side of the street the property is on, etc.

My Florida home faces southeast.

My first thought was houses should face "outside"

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House