U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 09:11 PM

980 posts, read 2,079,299 times

Advertisements

LOL sounds like he's stealing electricity. There's a guy in a neighborhood near mine who has two 100 ft cords hooked up to the cable companies equipment. It runs down the sidewalk and part of the street. I thought about reporting it, but never actually got around to doing anything about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 02:31 PM

5,418 posts, read 11,983,393 times
Our neighbors (who rented the house) across the street from us - used to sneak and put their garbage cans next to our cans on pickup day. I tried to call them into the garbage company to let them know, and they said there was nothing they could do, they did not seem to care that the people were stealing from them ...
We eventually let the landlord know - and very soon after that those people were ex-tenants.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:59 PM

10,347 posts, read 10,791,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish Thompson View Post
LOL sounds like he's stealing electricity. There's a guy in a neighborhood near mine who has two 100 ft cords hooked up to the cable companies equipment. It runs down the sidewalk and part of the street. I thought about reporting it, but never actually got around to doing anything about it.

Anybody who is stealing from a company is also stealing from you/us, since we all have to pick up the costs in the end. Whether that's energy, cable, or AAA road service. I used to work with someone who used her friend's AAA membership whenever her car broke down.

Besides us paying for all of that, I would think that two 100ft cords running down a sidewalk and part of the street would pose a potential hazard. If these cords are anywhere in front of your home, you might have some liability there.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:48 PM

214 posts, read 1,240,291 times
Well here we are over a week into the "extension cord" fiasco and it is still there going across their whole entire yard over their driveway and sidewalk and into the "pole" between our two yards. The electric company claimed that it was a "temporary" thing but how temporary is it when it has been there for over a week? I mean isn't it a hazard like someone said? I just don't get some people. I mean if there is a problem, get it fixed! If you can't afford to get these things fixed at your home then you shouldn't have a house!
The noisy part of people (there is a lot of that) is still wondering what they need that for? I mean is their house without power without it? Can that even be possible? Could it be an air conditioner that is not working and they need power for it?

Old 07-19-2007, 05:51 PM

8,002 posts, read 13,263,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamarie View Post
Well, here we are- a few days later and the extension cord is still there. The power company finally came today and checked it out and then, believe it or not, came to our front door to tell us that it is a temporary thing and is ok!! I guess my husband gave his address or something so they came up to let us know. We felt like idiots and were praying that the neighbors weren't home at least to see the man come up to our house. (no cars in driveway so I think they were gone!) I am still nosey and wondering why they have to get their power from there. And how long is it going to be temporary???? Just being a nosey neighbor I guess.
well if they neighbors say anything - just say the power company wanted to know if it was your extension cord.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:54 AM
SKB

898 posts, read 2,412,021 times
Why not just knock on their door and ask them?

Old 07-20-2007, 04:23 PM

1,856 posts, read 5,959,656 times
Default Life with Gladys Kravitz

Abner!! Abner!!

What is it, Gladys?

The Stevens still have that wire in their yard, Abner.

So call the electric company, Gladys.

I did, Abner. I did!!
They said it was temporary, and not illegal.

Then forget about it, Gladys.

I can't forget about it, Abner. You have to do something.

You're right, Gladys. I'm going to get your medication. Then you can take a nice nap.

Oh Abner, I love you.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:53 PM

8,241 posts, read 13,482,062 times
When it comes to wiring, some things just have to be seen to be believed.

We were, of course, in Mexico. Every once in a while, we'd lose power. So I'd have to go to the temporary CB panel to see why. At least our extension cords had plugs on them. They seem to go in better that way. Some other sub-contractor would pull our plug out and piggy-back their bare wires onto our plug. This is common down there... This one time this guy plugged his drill in. When he hit the trigger the drill revved up and started smokin! That'll happen when you plug a 110 device into 220. How they got 220 was beyond me.

Enjoy:

Old 07-23-2007, 04:07 PM

1,806 posts, read 3,756,800 times
We have a utility pole on our property between houses.

My neighbor used to do things like that, no idea what for...then the cords/wires would disappear or get buried.

I had enough problems with him already, didn't sweat what he might not have permits for. I figured that would come back and bite him when he tried to sell the house.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:45 PM

8,204 posts, read 23,988,604 times
Mamamarie,

Have you gotten your utility bill yet? I'd have some real concerns about them using your electricity.

When my home was built, my next door neighbor's was still under construction. The construction workers were using MY house water for their water needs - whether it was mixing up their stucco or just getting personal water to use for drinking or washing up.

They not only made a huge mess (stucco handprint smears on my siding, for one), they would often leave the faucet ON and RUNNING !

I confronted them whenever I could catch them, but it was a different crew there every day, so it was nearly futile .

I was newly married, so these were the days when I used to listen to my husband (long over ), and at his request I did not complain to the builders (he was raised to avoid confrontation, I was raised to embrace it ).

It went on for a month while my neighbor's house was in the final construction phase and when my utility bill arrived I was livid (they used at least $150 dollars worth of water on my dime).

Today, I'd demand the builder provide the workers with a clean source of water for their use, but you live and learn I guess .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House