Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2011, 09:07 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,328,292 times

Advertisements

OK, so it's been a long time since I've enjoyed steam heat. And at that time, I wasn't responsible for maintaining it. Now, I am.

I went to my local hardware store, and bought 3 new valves for the radiators upstairs. The nice guy that runs the store told me I needed model "6" for upstairs. 5 is for downstairs, and 4 is for the room with the thermostat in it. Sounds good. I don't know what the previous homeowner did, but he had a variety on the radiators upstairs. I can't tell if they were the right models or not, but some were round, some were like a cylinder. Some had holes in the top, some seem completely sealed. The new ones are all round, and all have a hole in the top. Steam, obviously, escapes through this hole. It's a slow spray. It definitely made the radiators quieter, to just a simple hiss instead of the obnoxious sniffing noises they made before.

Question 1 - any reason why some have holes, and some do not?

Also, I bought a replacement connection from the pipe to the radiator for one of the ones downstairs, because the handle is not there. so i figured, rather than turning it by hand with a tool every time, i'd just get a replacement. I don't have the proper wrench to do it, so I'll pick that up.

Question 2 - any benefit to replacing these valves? I was watching on This Old House that it's good to go in there, clean it up, and replace the washer (he used a liquid or something instead of a regular washer).

Question 3 - What are these thermostatic radiator valves? are they worth it? can i install them myself?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 08:30 PM

733 posts, read 4,642,648 times
Visit heatinghelp.com.

Then look at the books available...for instance Heating Help (http://www.heatinghelp.com/products/Books/5/68/Lost-Art-Of-Steam-Heating - broken link) and Heating Help (http://www.heatinghelp.com/products/Books/5/61/We-Got-Steam-Heat-A-Homeowners-Guide-to-Peaceful-Coexistence - broken link)

These guys know steam! I own an antique steam heating system and the information has been a great help.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:12 PM

302 posts, read 2,225,153 times
Every air vent has a hole in it to let the air escape. The vent shouldn't be releasing a significant amount of steam. The pressure in the boiler could be too high.

I wouldn't worry about the radiator shut off valve for now, unless it's leaking. You leave the valve wide open all the time.

I would first try to regulate and balance the system with the air vents rather the thermostatic valve. Make sure there are some vents on the steam piping, too.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:59 AM

working on the air vents for now. one is particularly tough to get off.

thanks for the website windtimber. i'll check it out tonight!

Old 01-11-2011, 02:04 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,373,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergenite View Post
Every air vent has a hole in it to let the air escape. The vent shouldn't be releasing a significant amount of steam. The pressure in the boiler could be too high.

I wouldn't worry about the radiator shut off valve for now, unless it's leaking. You leave the valve wide open all the time.

I would first try to regulate and balance the system with the air vents rather the thermostatic valve. Make sure there are some vents on the steam piping, too.

Spot on...Regulate the boiler pressure and temperature evenly before you begin to fuss with all of your valves. As for the one that has no handle, it was likelay a wooden one that cracked and broke long ago. Leave it open and replace it in the off season when you aren't heating the house.

Nothing like a good steam system but the pressure and water levels are always is important, as well as the release valves. So long as the valves are working, leave them alone and once again, make notes during the heating season and fix everything during the summer. Good luck.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:26 AM

thanks. yeah, i mostly replaced the ones i need. i bought a new handle for the on/off valve. the air vents...i'm just gonna try to get this last one off. it's tough.

thanks for the tips!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House