U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 10:33 AM
nra nra started this thread

72 posts, read 244,926 times

Advertisements

I just bought a home in murfreesboro and am now in the midst of getting an home inspection. Is it a neccessity to do a radon testing? Any views or opinion.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 12:32 PM

11 posts, read 38,251 times
Default Radon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nra View Post
I just bought a home in murfreesboro and am now in the midst of getting an home inspection. Is it a neccessity to do a radon testing? Any views or opinion.

thanks
I believe it is a neccessity. Radon is widely believed to be the second leading cause of lung cancer and EPA, as well as the Surgeon General recommend testing for radon in all homes since it has been found in homes all over the United States. Radon gas decays into radioactive particles that can get trapped in your lungs when you breathe. As they break down further, these particles release small bursts of energy. This can damage lung tissue and lead to lung cancer over the course of your lifetime. Not everyone exposed to elevated levels of radon will develop lung cancer, and the amount of time between exposure and the onset of the disease may be many years. On average, one out of every fifteen U.S. homes have a problem.

So yes, I would say so, particularly if you have or plan on having children.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:08 PM

3,907 posts, read 9,555,968 times
Again- I've said this before, but here I go again. For some reason, there are people who become enraged over this issue. I'm not sure why, but prepare for angry responses. That said, I would never buy/live in a home, especially in this area, without a radon test.

It's easily mitigated if the levels are high, so why wouldn't you test? The seller has to fix it anyway, so there's no risk to you as a buyer. The test usually runs about $125-$150, and only take 24-48 hours.

Good luck.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:12 PM
nra nra started this thread

72 posts, read 244,926 times
Thank you for your responses. Will get that included too in the inspection

Old 11-16-2007, 08:06 PM

2 posts, read 5,877 times
Default radon and who is responsible for treatment expense

Hi, I think I lost the message I was posting. But my question is whether there is a statute or policy or tradition that it is the seller who treats if the buyer finds there are high radon levels in the inspection. You had mentioned in your response to another buying a home. Thank you.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:19 PM

1,177 posts, read 3,733,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by assgio View Post
Hi, I think I lost the message I was posting. But my question is whether there is a statute or policy or tradition that it is the seller who treats if the buyer finds there are high radon levels in the inspection. You had mentioned in your response to another buying a home. Thank you.
It is not a policy nor a statute. It is generally expected/accepted that if high radon levels(higher than 4.0) are found in the house by a certified radon inspector then it is the sellers responsibility to correct through radon mitigation. The cost of mitigation in this area is usually about $1000 to $1500 depending on the size/structure of the house. It could be higher for a much larger house than average.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:45 PM

730 posts, read 1,668,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbone View Post
It is not a policy nor a statute. It is generally expected/accepted that if high radon levels(higher than 4.0) are found in the house by a certified radon inspector then it is the sellers responsibility to correct through radon mitigation. The cost of mitigation in this area is usually about $1000 to $1500 depending on the size/structure of the house. It could be higher for a much larger house than average.
How big of a problem is it. Is it common or just an odd house here and there. It was big news for a while and then faded. Is it a real problem there or not?

Old 11-17-2007, 04:42 AM

1,177 posts, read 3,733,798 times
Default Radon Levels

Middle TN has higher radon levels than most of the country because of all of the limestone. The EPA has some extensive information on radon. Just google EPA and radon and you can get most all of the information you need.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:17 PM

730 posts, read 1,668,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbone View Post
Middle TN has higher radon levels than most of the country because of all of the limestone. The EPA has some extensive information on radon. Just google EPA and radon and you can get most all of the information you need.
Thanks, I will be sure to add that to any inspection I have dome.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:02 AM

30 posts, read 161,465 times
Here's a website put together by a group of lung cancer survivors. They all were non-smokers, but all had lived with high levels of radon gas in their homes.

Some might enjoy reading there perspective on the matter.

CanSAR | Cancer Survivors Against Radon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House