U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 08:28 AM

413 posts, read 514,119 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if the people who appear on HGTV shows like House Hunters or My First Place are paid for their appearance? I assume the realtors aren't (at least not much) since they're getting some pretty good publicity out of the show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 10:18 AM

10,653 posts, read 6,544,858 times
All of the shows are staged and I'd more than likely bet all are getting paid, or at least just doing it simply to be on TV.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:01 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,209,307 times
My neighbor had some friends over for a party we attended who were on House Hunters International (they bought a spectacular, though nearly ruins of a place on the Almafi Coast in Italy- it was funny, as we had just watched them that day on a HH marathon) and said they were paid a modest sum, I want to say it was about $1,500.

And yes, as many have noted, it is completely staged and quite scripted.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:18 AM

413 posts, read 514,119 times
[quote=T. Damon;17617976]My neighbor had some friends over for a party we attended who were on House Hunters International (they bought a spectacular, though nearly ruins of a place on the Almafi Coast in Italy- it was funny, as we had just watched them that day on a HH marathon) and said they were paid a modest sum, I want to say it was about $1,500.

I think I remember that one! Weren't they going to have take construction materials up to the house via mules?

Old 01-28-2011, 12:02 PM

17,580 posts, read 21,138,047 times
I had read that the buyers get $500 and realtors get nothing.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:04 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,209,307 times
[quote=lindy112;17618255]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
My neighbor had some friends over for a party we attended who were on House Hunters International (they bought a spectacular, though nearly ruins of a place on the Almafi Coast in Italy- it was funny, as we had just watched them that day on a HH marathon) and said they were paid a modest sum, I want to say it was about $1,500.

I think I remember that one! Weren't they going to have take construction materials up to the house via mules?
Yep- the house of a 1000 steps! It is an amazing property high upon a cliff above the village and ocean and it is really exciting and interesting to learn of their renovation and all the hoops they need to jump through- firstly it all has to be locals who work on the project... and lots of regulations as it is a 300 year old property or something like that.

As an architect I am just fascinated to hear of their adventures.

Discussing the challenges of all the steps and bringing materials to the site, the local project architect revealed to them how he wanted to design a one- level house down in the village to replace the 3-level house up on a similarly stepped cliff his 91 y.o. mother lived in to ease her physical burden- upon which his mother snapped "How the hell do you think I managed to live this long?" Haha

Which, there is something to be said about that- having to walk up lots of steps is a bit of physical work that the body can respond quite well to.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:14 PM

3,351 posts, read 10,920,412 times
I can tell you that the HGTV show about home inspections did not pay the home inspector.
I was also on another HGTV show and wasn't paid for it either.
I got a bunch of "stuff", and some refreshments while taping the program, but no cash.

I don't know about the House Hunters show.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:45 PM

4,669 posts, read 8,634,129 times
Does the Amalfi couple have a blog or web page talking about the project? I'd love to learn more about how it all went.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:53 PM

568 posts, read 1,440,142 times
You can tell these shows are totally staged, the sellers never pitch a fit and walk away when told they have to lower their price, and the buyers never say, "nice house, but I'm not sure about the schools, neighborhood, etc.". Also, the buyers comment on something trivial about the house, like "I don't know if I like that wall color."

What cracks me up every time is when I watch "Get It Sold" and they have 3 or 4 realtors come in to remark on the house/what needs to be changed, etc. There is always a few realtors that are used again and again, and you just know the homeowner will pick them. The best example of this is the realtor who now works with Sabrina Soto on "Real Estate INtervention." He's bald, kind of a Dr. Phil-looking guy.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:08 PM

15,819 posts, read 32,425,087 times
When we were on Haulin House, they paid us $1500 (for the whole family, not each) and I think that the house mover also got $1500. Not fair since they got a lot of free advertising.

It probably cost us more than $1500 for the things that we had to do to accomodate their filming. Still it was fun. Our kids can say that they were on national TV. that is probably worth more than $1500. all the attention that it brought to our community made the government happy and they were perhaps willing to work with us a bit more than they otherwise might have. That probably saved us some money.

There were some minor stages scenes where we re-enacted something that happened when they were not there. They did nto script anything, they just told us generally what they wanted (i.e. talk into your cell phone about what you said when X happened, and we will show the house mover on a cell phone saying his end of that conversation). The editing certainly made everything seem much more dramatic than what i remember it being, but overall, it was mostly just filming the events as they occurred. One little bit was even filmed by my daughter. They ran out of time when something got delayed and tuaght her to use a camera that they left with us. She filmed several hours, but they only used a few seconds of it in the show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House