U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 12:36 PM

2,900 posts, read 3,343,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrelitim View Post
Hi,

Can anyone help me? I have water coming out cold just fine. No water at all is coming out on hot water side! What could be wrong?

Any Help?
Most likely the faucet itself - I've seen the workings of them come apart before and block one side or the other.

Do your other faucets work on hot?

You could check pretty quickly on most faucets - there's usually a shut off valve and a quick-connector under the sink - put a pot under the shut off valve, turn off the valve, then crack the quick-connector loose - slowly turn it back on... if you get water, you need a faucet... or a rebuild kit for your faucet...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 12:57 PM

20,506 posts, read 10,902,135 times
Cold enough up here for frozen pipes. I had the same thing happen to me when I first moved here and thought, "Naw. It can't get THAT cold."

Yes. It could.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:08 PM

6,157 posts, read 9,733,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
A frozen pipe leading FROM the hot water heater would be pretty unlikely, and in the Phoenix area, it hasn't been THAT cold.
If the hot water hasn't been run all night then the hot water supply pipe would be just as likely to freeze as the cold assuming it wasn't anywhere near the water heater. Plus, the cold water is more likely to have run during the night because of toilet flushes which could have prevented from freezing.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:16 PM

1,999 posts, read 6,178,374 times
The water heater spewing water just happened to a friend's older townhouse, so it can get that cold here....much to my surprise, also. Wow..and to think I was naive enough to think I left this behind in Illinois....

Old 02-03-2011, 01:55 PM

6,157 posts, read 9,733,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Wow..and to think I was naive enough to think I left this behind in Illinois....
It's probably even worse here because our houses just aren't built to handle this kind of cold.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:02 PM

77 posts, read 275,669 times
Quote:
The water heater spewing water just happened to a friend's older townhouse, so it can get that cold here....much to my surprise, also. Wow..and to think I was naive enough to think I left this behind in Illinois....
I visited Chicago during the holidays. It was warmer in Chicago after Christmas than Phoenix! It was about 45 - 50 degrees in Chicago, and it literally melted all the snow even at night. At the same time it was around 27-30 degrees in Phoenix. Crazy stuff!

Old 02-03-2011, 02:10 PM

13,492 posts, read 15,558,539 times
Quote:
That usually doesn't happen here from cold... old water heaters just fail from all the sediment that gets trapped in the bottom, all the water comes out, and presto, hot water tank is empty.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 6,935 times
Hi, I just bought a house and ran into the same problem. We have cold water just fine, and it's not just that we don't have hot water, we have NO water coming from the hot water sides of all of the faucets- at all! After spending a ridiculous amount of time on the phone with SW Gas, the guy who built our house, and a plumber, the plumber finally determined the valve on the hot water heater that lets water in and out is completely off! That's what we thought all along bc of there being no water whatsoever coming from the hot water side... Only thing is, since SW Gas lit the pilot light you can't just turn on the valve and let water shoot in. You have to completely turn off the gas and let it cool off, then you can turn on the water and re- light the pilot. SHEESH! Hope this helps....

Old 10-25-2012, 06:31 PM

882 posts, read 559,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
If the hot water hasn't been run all night then the hot water supply pipe would be just as likely to freeze as the cold assuming it wasn't anywhere near the water heater. Plus, the cold water is more likely to have run during the night because of toilet flushes which could have prevented from freezing.
I know this is an old thread that got bumped, but hot water pipes often freeze faster than cold water pipes in the winter. The fact that a cold water pipe doesn't freeze isn't necessarily because there was water running through it, and not the hot water pipe.

Mpemba effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-26-2012, 05:17 AM

7,953 posts, read 6,055,856 times
Call a plumber....I once had a hot water heater blow up on me when I tried to re-lite the pilot. And water doesn't freeze on one side only...Your water heater may just need to be replaced, or pilot is out. Call a professional. Gas or electric...if you aren't aware of things like that...don't mess with them...Call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House