U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 07:14 PM

795 posts, read 1,634,687 times

Advertisements

Looking to buy a new mattress and would like opinions on both, good or bad. Thanks!

Throwing Rem Sleep Solutions in as well...anyone?

Last edited by Strongasabear; 02-12-2011 at 07:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 07:23 PM

272 posts, read 425,216 times
We tried both. And sent them both back. After several weeks with the sleep number bed, my wife and I woke up daily feeling like we had been beaten with baseball bats. We were sore and stiff for hours after getting up. And the tempurPedic, it's hot. It's comfortable. But, the foam conforms to your body and holds the heat. And on a summer night....we would sweat like you wouldn't believe. Even in the winter, if you don't turn the thermostat down it would still be too hot. And you'd have to turn it down a lot. We went with a regular mattress.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:26 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,731,130 times
We love our Select Comfort (sleep number) bed. I found it hot until I got an all-cotton mattress cover. It is wonderfully comfortable.

We bought it because my husband has back problems from an old injury, and the bed took care of that completely. If we spend even one night away from home, the problems begin to creep back.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:33 PM

247 posts, read 413,465 times
we have a tempur pedic knock off for about 6-7 yrs at it is great. I work construction , have broken my neck twice and have carpal tunnel in both wrist and we realized our bed was wore out because i was getting up every couple of hours because my hands went numb. That is when out found out i had the carpal tunnel syndrome. We went with th tempur style and i no longer get up with numb hands and have restful sleep. my 2 cents
good luck

Old 02-12-2011, 07:49 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,373,926 times
Neither ... but that's for budget reasons.

The Ikea mattress I have (Sultan Forestad, which is foam base + memory foam top) has since been discontinued and replaced with a different version, but it was a very welcome change from my old innerspring - no pressure points.

These days, I'd look at Overstock.com - much wider selection, and I don't even have to worry about getting it home myself.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:52 PM

1,749 posts, read 4,456,931 times
I had a chance to try out the sleep number bed on a recent vacation, and I was disappointed in it. The hotel manager told us that the beds had been recently installed but our bed seemed to lose air during the night, and I had to reset my numbers every day. And I had a real hard time finding the most comfortable setting.

I've never slept on a TempurPedic, although I have a 3 inch memory foam topper on my traditional mattress and I find it pretty comfortable. I'm not sure what I'll go with when the time comes to replace the mattress.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:01 PM

39 posts, read 137,322 times
We've had a sleep number bed for 5 years and we hate it. It has 2 separate chambers but if my husband crosses over to my chamber it makes my side really hard. Then there is a foam piece in the middle that separates the chambers, it gets smooshed down so now there is like a canyon between the 2 air chambers.

We recently looked at getting a new mattress, but the Tempurpedic mattress I fell in love with was $3199! Way over our budget. We ended up buying a memory foam mattress topper, which has helped extend the life of the sleep number mattress, which we still hate. I hope that helps.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:28 PM

15,768 posts, read 4,900,407 times
Default Do not buy a Select Comfort

The so-called "Sleep Number" mattresses are in reality air mattresses. If you google reviews of Select Comfort you will discover hundreds of complaints about mold, mildew, and other forms of living organisms that can live in an air mattress environment. Remember water beds? You don't hear much about them these days because they had similar problems. As your air mattress begins to sag in the middle of the night, an air pump (which makes a faint noise) will start to force more air into your mattress.

The TempurPedic is a better choice in my view. The older models did retain body heat - and I am a very "warm blooded" creature - but I understand the newest models have improved surface layers and covers that are better at dispersing body heat. However, TempurPedic will give off an odor the first several days you own it that smells like the petroleum based foams it is manufactured out of. Some people find these odors nauseating.

Sealy makes an all foam non-coil bed called "Embody" that is supposed to be a cooler and better version of a TempurPedic. I hear they are pricey though.

Myself, after tons of research I decided last year on a good old fashioned Simmons BeautyRest World Class top of the line model. Yes it has a coil system - innerspring if you will - but it has something like 1200 coils, with layers of both Memory Foam, and Talalay (organic) Latex foam. It is a plush feeling bed because I'm a side sleeper and do not like hard beds. I feel no pressure points on my arms and shoulders, and it is heavenly. I got this bed about 9 - 10 months ago. It is a very very thick mattress though - I think about 18" - and I had to buy "Extra Deep Pocket" sheets for it.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:38 PM

14,851 posts, read 17,798,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongasabear View Post
Looking to buy a new mattress and would like opinions on both, good or bad. Thanks!

Throwing Rem Sleep Solutions in as well...anyone?
OMG Please consider getting a natural mattress instead of one of those horrible things. Commercial mattresses have terrible off-gassing that your body is subjected to for eight hours every night. My husband and I, unfortunately purchased a very expensive mattress several years ago so we don't have a choice, but the next one that we buy is going to be 100 percent natural.

There is a magazine called "Natural Home" that has advertisements for all natural mattresses. I looked online and the online version does not have them, but it would definitely be worth the time and effort to investigate this option.

BTW Tempurpedic is one of the worst for poisonous off-gassing. So, I would certainly stay as far away from that one as possible, JMHO.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-12-2011, 09:43 PM

426 posts, read 786,853 times
I also have the sleep number and I hate it. The poster that mentioned the middle foam divider is right on.
I also wake up in pain daily, no matter what number it is on. Have had it over five years and felt that way since the first day. Have'nt had the mold problem though.
My boyfriend likes his side softer, I prefer firmer, so I am always rollling and with the canyon in the middle, very uncomfortable. Not good for sex either.
My side is also uneven,the left side is always higher, so no matter what position I am in it is uncomfortableI have tried putting in air and taking it out, still uneven on one side.
This overpriced piece of junk is a glorified air mattress with a mattress pad on it.Many times I am tempted to sleep on the floor.
The only time I have a decent nights sleep is when I take a sleeping pill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House