Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 06:28 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
ILastly - one other piece of advice. Take a look at the combo units now on the market in the US (after being on the market in Europe for over 15 years!). A single machine which washes and dries... cool idea right... well they exist. Technology is always changing, so do take a look at these. 7 years ago when I was shopping for these, LG was the only company offering these in the US and there were mixed reviews. If I was searching today for something new I would research the combo units because the convenience of not having to unload and reload would be awesome to have.
MBUSZU -

Thanks for the info on the front loaders....for anyone considering the combo units, be careful - I have a friend who bought one (don't know if it was upper or lower end), but a single load of towels takes FOUR HOURS to wash and dry.....ugh. I thought it was a great idea until I heard that - now I'll just buy the front loaders when my old relics go drums up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 12:11 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
We have a top of the line Maytag Neptune washer and dryer set we bought new less than 2 years ago. I had never owned a front loading washer before. If I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have gotten a front loader. I like Maytag just do not like the frontloader and water saving feature. Not only do I have to bend over and over with the dryer but now the washer as well. It does save water but I do not feel my clothes are as clean. I have had to re-wash loads before. It just soaks it all and then slowly rolls it around and around. If I have heavily soiled items, or a white load I want them really clean and to do that they need to sit in a decent amount of water. If it is a white load and I have bleach in the load I want the load to be moved around in that fluid. I do not personally recommend a front loading washer.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:19 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,151,799 times
We bought the Whirlpool Duet front loader washer and dryer, and the washer has been terrible. Several service calls and different parts replaced. Recently the washer almost had to be gutted and then put back together again with new parts. It is making noise again.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:19 AM

743 posts, read 3,900,635 times
We got a Kenmore last year... they were normally like $800 each (for the washer and dryer) I think, but we got some big sale, so they were like $650 each or something. I love them, but my only complaint is the vibrations when the washer spins near the end of the cycle. It makes the whole house shake (they're upstairs). Other than that, they are wonderfull. My model has a timer on the washer, so I can set it to start up to 8 hours later, which is perfect for in the morning I can set it to run 45 minutes before I get home from work, then I can put that load in the dryer.

Also now they have ultra-concentrated detergent to use, so one bottle (which isn't even that big) will do almost 100 loads. Just remember to get the special 'HE' branded stuff... normal stuff will create too many bubbles from what I heard.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:28 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
Lightbulb Maytag Neptune Front Loaders ~ just add water ! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
We have a top of the line Maytag Neptune washer and dryer set we bought new less than 2 years ago. I had never owned a front loading washer before. If I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have gotten a front loader. I like Maytag just do not like the frontloader and water saving feature. Not only do I have to bend over and over with the dryer but now the washer as well. It does save water but I do not feel my clothes are as clean. I have had to re-wash loads before. It just soaks it all and then slowly rolls it around and around. If I have heavily soiled items, or a white load I want them really clean and to do that they need to sit in a decent amount of water. If it is a white load and I have bleach in the load I want the load to be moved around in that fluid. I do not personally recommend a front loading washer.

Maytag Neptune front loader is a problem washing machine. We would never get another one however after about 8 years on this one we’re no looking at something else. We’ve checked at Best Buy and the LG machine looks like one that we’re going to give more thought to. However our problems are with Maytag and their repairs that are needed.

My wife found that she could get some good clean washing done in this old Maytag Neptune (front loader) if she changed to a different washing product. She’s now using SA8 detergent made by Alticor ( I think that is Amway ) she has to buy it from a friend who is an Amway distributor. She also adds “extra water†in the top of the machine where you put the detergent. She may add an extra gal. or so ~ depending on what she is doing. And she also uses the Final Touch in the rinse cycle.

Front loaders are not easy to get use to but over a period of time she was able to formulate just how much to add and which product did the best job for her.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:59 AM

3,289 posts, read 9,186,341 times
Quote:
Also now they have ultra-concentrated detergent to use, so one bottle (which isn't even that big) will do almost 100 loads. Just remember to get the special 'HE' branded stuff... normal stuff will create too many bubbles from what I heard.
It does but all you have to do according to the tech is add less to compensate. I didn't want to throw out an almost brand new bottle of detergent.

I had a Maytag Neptune frontloader for 5 years, left it behind when we moved. LOVED it, had no issues.

Have a Kenmore Elite HE5t pair and can do my laundry in 45 mins per side (washer and dryer) And I am doing two loads instead of three. A few weeks ago, I washed three blankets, which would have taken THREE loads in my Maytag in ONE load in my new Kenmore. Saved water and electricity. Liz

Old 07-24-2007, 04:56 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,687,119 times
Quote:

Lastly - one other piece of advice. Take a look at the combo units now on the market in the US (after being on the market in Europe for over 15 years!). A single machine which washes and dries... cool idea right... well they exist. Technology is always changing, so do take a look at these. 7 years ago when I was shopping for these, LG was the only company offering these in the US and there were mixed reviews. If I was searching today for something new I would research the combo units because the convenience of not having to unload and reload would be awesome to have.
Being a professional mechanic, I have learned a very important lesson over the past 20 plus years. Any tool that is designed to do multiple jobs, doesn't do any of them well. I would stay away from a combo washer and dryer.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:12 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,109 times
We got a Whirlpool Duet 9400 washer and 9250 Dryer and loves them, never had a moment of problems of trouble with them and they are quite and get the clothes super clean.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:23 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,057,895 times
I used a combo machine while living in the UK. Hated it. SamIAm's friend is correct because it really can take 4 hours to do a singular load in those. I think it is only worthwhile to own a combo machine if (1) you live in a teeny tiny place with no room whatsoever and (2) you are washing clothing for a maximum of 2 people.

This year I got the LG machines and I am IN LOVE!!!!! Oh my goodness. I did not know that a machine could clean clothing so well. I'm still amazed sometimes! In the past when I've gotten really stubborn stains on clothing, I would have to soak the clothing & pre-treat the items with bleach and even then the stains often would not come out in the wash. That is no longer the case now that I have my LG washer! If I have to deal with some bad stains, I just push the "Stain Cycle" button, select the soil level, and voila! I'm telling ya, this machine performs miracles.

Let me give you an example. A little over a year ago I ate some Indian food & accidentally got some tika masala sauce on the sleeve of my shirt. I did everything I could think of to remove the stain, but nothing worked. Eventually I admitted defeat and had to get rid of the shirt.
Fast forward to last month.
I had made chicken tika masala for dinner & was washing out the pan. I accidentally sprayed the pan in a way that sent tika masala sauce all over me and my white nightgown. Based on my previous experience I thought the nightgown was probably a lot cause, but I gave it a shot. I put it in my new LG washer & said a little prayer. And amazingly, the nightgown came out spotless! Since then, I've had to wash some other nasty messes and my LG has performed perfectly. I'm so impressed that I have joked that I need to contact the LG company so they can feature me in one of their ads!

Old 07-25-2007, 09:50 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,057,895 times
Quote:
One thing my wife and I learned that is a drawback to these is that yanking the wet laundry out of the washer one tends to drop clothes on the floor before shoving into the dryer.
The easy solution to this is to keep an empty laundry basket under the washer door as you switch the loads. If you drop anything it lands in the nice clean basket instead of on the floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House