Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 01:06 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times

Advertisements

I'll try this in Homes before Books...

I am spatially challenged - I can't see past the wall colors and what is actually in a room and see it any other way other than drawing it out, which is becoming a drag. The computer programs are a little intricate and I bore easily

There used to be a book or something like a game board/grid where you could peel off these things that represented walls or a sink or a range top or whatever, and the pieces came in varying sizes - 30" stove top, 42" - whatever.....sort of like those dress-the-Barbie-doll things we girls of the 50's had.

I don't know what I'm looking for, which makes it REALLY hard to find it on Amazon, so I was wondering if anyone had seen this product or could even give me some key words to try and look it up - I'm kind of at a loss (and probably not explaining myself very well)...

Yes, I will go to a REAL architect or kitchen designer when I'm ready, I'm just trying to figure things out in my head without having to have an engineer's degree to do a computer draftsman program! Too confusing for me...simple. Think simple!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 08:37 PM

965 posts, read 4,500,356 times
Any chance that Lowes or Home Depot might use simpler "home remodeling" programs for showing customers how a room will look? Could you maybe talk to them and ask them what software they are using?

I sketch interior floor plans as a hobby, but I use graph paper and sketch by hand (each little square may equal 12 inches or 6 inches, depending on the size graph paper I use).

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the books you are talking about with "stickies." Sorry!

I have researched home floor plan software on the Internet, and not all of it was for architects or CAD-type software. I just can't remember the names. Also, even the simpler programs seem to require a lot of RAM, so my plan is to get another computer just for that software; however, that's not in my budget right now.

Good luck!

Old 07-23-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
Any chance that Lowes or Home Depot might use simpler "home remodeling" programs for showing customers how a room will look? Could you maybe talk to them and ask them what software they are using?

I sketch interior floor plans as a hobby, but I use graph paper and sketch by hand (each little square may equal 12 inches or 6 inches, depending on the size graph paper I use).

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the books you are talking about with "stickies." Sorry!

I have researched home floor plan software on the Internet, and not all of it was for architects or CAD-type software. I just can't remember the names. Also, even the simpler programs seem to require a lot of RAM, so my plan is to get another computer just for that software; however, that's not in my budget right now.

Good luck!
I'm software dumber-than-dirt.....I found the graph paper and some little paper models of like a 30" stove, 42", etc. I truly didn't want to cut the pages out of my $30 book, so I'm making copies and getting out my tape dispenser....I guess cut and paste has taken on a whole new meaning for me! You've given me an idea though - I have a friend who makes dollhouses for a living - and he just may be willing to make me a cheap mock up!

Unfortunately, I barrel into everything like I'm on fire - I'll end up moving a wall three times before I get it right. Patience would definitely be a virtue for me......I continue to seek for it, and it continues to hide from me.....

Thanks for your help anyway!

Old 07-24-2007, 01:58 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I'll try this in Homes before Books...

I am spatially challenged - I can't see past the wall colors and what is actually in a room and see it any other way other than drawing it out, which is becoming a drag. The computer programs are a little intricate and I bore easily

There used to be a book or something like a game board/grid where you could peel off these things that represented walls or a sink or a range top or whatever, and the pieces came in varying sizes - 30" stove top, 42" - whatever.....sort of like those dress-the-Barbie-doll things we girls of the 50's had.

I don't know what I'm looking for, which makes it REALLY hard to find it on Amazon, so I was wondering if anyone had seen this product or could even give me some key words to try and look it up - I'm kind of at a loss (and probably not explaining myself very well)...

Yes, I will go to a REAL architect or kitchen designer when I'm ready, I'm just trying to figure things out in my head without having to have an engineer's degree to do a computer draftsman program! Too confusing for me...simple. Think simple!
ok, i'm not 100% sure this is what you're looking for, but bassettfurniture.com has a tool where you can create a room with dimensions you choose, and can add any type of "extra" (wall, window, doors, fireplace, furniture ,etc) to it, and size it (click and drag) to your specifications. This was GREAT when we were remodeling our family room and wanted to see different layouts and how the furniture would fit. Here's the link: Bassett Furniture » Tools

HTH!

Old 07-24-2007, 02:08 PM

Default For Tahiti...

Well, it looks user-friendly enough, I'll try puttering with it...of course, it doesn't say "kitchen" on a drop down tab, which just throws my brain into a whirlwind fit (we OCD people are like that, lol!)...

The thing I'm actually talking about looks like a gameboard with a graph on it and there are pieces of furniture in different sizes, or stoves, or whatever - you peel them off a backing and they can be rearranged or whatever - Maybe I dreamed this and I have the next Bill Gates money maker on my hands! I seem to have trouble visualizing with software because I can't 3-D it - and yes, I know there are programs that will make it 3-D, but I ain't bright enough to run them!

Oh well......nothing can be worse than crawling over the dishwasher to get to the stove, which is where we're at now...

Thanks for your help, I'll give it a whirl - cross you fingers for me!

Old 07-24-2007, 03:56 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,268,313 times
I know what you're talking about. Unfortunately I don't know what it's called or where to find it either.

I too draw house plans on graph paper. I have hundreds and hundreds of them. A pencil and eraser is much easier to create with, I find, than any of the computer programs I've tried. I always draw rooms with furniture in them (I measured my own pieces) so I obtain the function and space I want. Appliances, and the like, usually come in standard sizes (windows too) or you could get a catalog of those particular ones you want so you draw them in proper dimension.

It's great fun, and an architect should be able to take your interior drawings and make them into functional drawings.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:31 PM

24,463 posts, read 25,999,509 times
You should be able to find those sticky things at a well supplied stationery or drafting supply store or a plastic template you can trace that has appliances etc on them. Well, at least you used to be able to find them.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:59 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Well, it looks user-friendly enough, I'll try puttering with it...of course, it doesn't say "kitchen" on a drop down tab, which just throws my brain into a whirlwind fit (we OCD people are like that, lol!)...

The thing I'm actually talking about looks like a gameboard with a graph on it and there are pieces of furniture in different sizes, or stoves, or whatever - you peel them off a backing and they can be rearranged or whatever - Maybe I dreamed this and I have the next Bill Gates money maker on my hands! I seem to have trouble visualizing with software because I can't 3-D it - and yes, I know there are programs that will make it 3-D, but I ain't bright enough to run them!

Oh well......nothing can be worse than crawling over the dishwasher to get to the stove, which is where we're at now...

Thanks for your help, I'll give it a whirl - cross you fingers for me!
like 3-D colorforms for adults! LOL good luck - i didn't realize a kitchen wasn't there....

Old 07-25-2007, 07:01 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,752,493 times
I know exactly what you are talking about! My in-laws gave us an old kit with reusable pieces. Its called "Plan A Home." I've found it online before, but google is failing me tonight. I did, however, find this at Amazon.

edit to add: I looked at our kit. Its from "Home Planners LLC 29333 Lorie Land, Wixom, MI 48939" - its so old there is not URL. But, while trying to find it, I came across this site that has several options.

Last edited by rubytue; 07-25-2007 at 07:10 PM..

Old 07-25-2007, 07:26 PM

Default Thank You Rubytue!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
I know exactly what you are talking about! My in-laws gave us an old kit with reusable pieces. Its called "Plan A Home." I've found it online before, but google is failing me tonight. I did, however, find this at Amazon.

edit to add: I looked at our kit. Its from "Home Planners LLC 29333 Lorie Land, Wixom, MI 48939" - its so old there is not URL. But, while trying to find it, I came across this site that has several options.
Rubytue, you just saved what is left of my mind - YES!!!! This is IT!!! I don't know how you found that, but God bless you - I had googled every word in the English language, but apparently not in the proper order! I appreciate everyone's help so very, very much....hopefully the 1950's kitchen in the 1870's house is on the way out the door!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House