Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 09:14 PM

140 posts, read 417,909 times

Advertisements

I have been in NC for 3 years and my 1st year I found that I had a little birdie that built and nested on the porch light. It was cute and the baby birds made a mess but being an urban transplant I thought it was cute. She even had 2 sets of babies. Silly me I figured that one season was good enough for her and I left the nest there but lo and behold she shows up has a few more babies and more mess. To say nothing of the attacks from her friends when I go to the front porch. So being a bad human after the 1st set that year I took the nest down tossed it and washed the light really well . I went on vacation for 2 weeks and when I got back she had built a 10 story condo with a penthouse !! ( not really just another nest) Wouldn't toss it because it had eggs in it. Later I notice there is another set of eggs so I touch them and of course she leaves and refuses to come back because the dead eggs are there. What do I see this past week, she has started feathering her nest covering the dead eggs with new feathers.I have tossed the nest. My question is how do I keep them from coming back ??? They are not cute anymore and they are mean birds....
PS I think they are barn swallows .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 09:55 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,900,562 times
First, they do eat mosquitoes and other flying insects. So they're not "bad".

Swallows are migratory birds protected by federal law. Don't touch the eggs. Once they have laid their eggs in the nest, you're forbidden from harming the birds or interfering with the nesting site.

I've heard setting out realistic looking fake/toy snakes can help prevent the birds from returning. Same with a fake owl, although I have no idea where I'd buy a fake owl??

Old 02-19-2011, 10:11 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
First, they do eat mosquitoes and other flying insects. So they're not "bad".

Swallows are migratory birds protected by federal law. Don't touch the eggs. Once they have laid their eggs in the nest, you're forbidden from harming the birds or interfering with the nesting site.

I've heard setting out realistic looking fake/toy snakes can help prevent the birds from returning. Same with a fake owl, although I have no idea where I'd buy a fake owl??
They don't even have to be migratory to enjoy protection under the Migratory Bird Treatise Act of 1918. Essentially, if it isn't a pigeon, an English sparrow or a starling then you DO NOT have the right to disturb, harass, kill, or otherwise interfere with that bird or its nest. If she ever quits laying you can try to design some sort of baffles.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Basically search and find out how you can provide a better nest for the bird. Always encourage nesting just find a better method to do so that is more satisfatory for you and the birds.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:00 AM

517 posts, read 2,484,516 times
Swallows eat a TON of bugs so although you don't want their nest on your porch, they are good to have nearby.

I'd suggest putting up a bird house somewhere away from your porch to encourage nesting elsewhere - you can search online for what kind of bird houses that type prefers. If its a barn swallow, this kind is probably best: http://yhst-60107113779235.stores.yahoo.net/baswho.html

As for your porch light, put something in that area to prevent the bird from putting another nest there. Chicken wire would work. The fake owl statue suggested by someone else is an option especially if you stick it right where the nest was located since then its a physical barrier too- you can actually get one at Sears: Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

Other options include wind chimes (the noise will deter them) or hanging an aluminum pie tin (the swaying metal will create a visual disturbance). Although barn swallows are less likely to be disturbed by these than other birds. Your best bet is the physical barrier and a bird house in a more desirable location.

Barn swallows are declining so they are protected. You need to prevent the nest from being completed to stay on the legal side. Once the eggs are there, its too late.

Good luck!

Old 02-20-2011, 06:50 AM

140 posts, read 417,909 times
What is a baffle ? I appreciate all the info .. However as to moving the nest to a bird house .(HOA doesn't permit them !) Someone suggested a baffle and I have no idea what that is.. I have tried putting stuff on the light but because it is a slanted, metal light nothing stays .I have a fake owl but there is no place to put it and putting it on the ground didn't work.Also they chose to live right next to a wind chime so that is out. I guess I will just have to work extra hard to keep the poop off of the entrance way, since I am gonna be showing the place to sell and let the new owners worry about the birds..Thanks for all the info you have been great.

Last edited by sfalady; 02-20-2011 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: Adding to it

Old 02-20-2011, 06:51 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I would just keep removing the nesting material, and the bird will, hopefully, go make it elsewhere. If this still doesn't work, maybe remove the light fixture, or cover it with a bag for awhile?

Old 02-20-2011, 09:51 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
Go to your local hardware store and ask to see baffles. They are usually on the same aisle/section as bird feeders. It's just an object that is supposed to keep birds, squirrels, etc. off of something.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:42 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Find out when their nesting season is. After they are gone, remove the nest and clean it up well.

THEN -- next year before nesting season, or at the first sign of a nest being built, take some paper, or cloth, rub it on the sweaty parts of your body and tack it to where they nested. You might have to rub the paper or cloth every couple of days.

Sounds weird, but birds won't nest where there is human smell. I did this at the complex I clean, and robins fled....

Old 02-20-2011, 07:51 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I would just keep removing the nesting material, and the bird will, hopefully, go make it elsewhere. If this still doesn't work, maybe remove the light fixture, or cover it with a bag for awhile?
That's actually not legal and, in my experience with trying to discourage English sparrows, it doesn't work very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House