Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 06:42 AM

8 posts, read 46,397 times

Advertisements

Hello All. Need some DIY electrical help. I have been trying to replace a switched outlet for the last week or so, but can't get it to work.

I was able to cut the power to the plug, remove the old outlet, and then reinstall the new one, and it simply won't work. I installed it just like it was at first, and even broke the hot tab to make one outlet switched and the other one always hot like it was before

I have confirmed that the switch itself is working and sending power to the switched wire (red) with a meter. I have confirmed that power actually reaches the outlet socked to the always live (black) and the switched (red) wires. There is a white neutral, and a ground at the outlet and I have hooked those up as well. Why is this not working??

This is the exact setup in other places in the house, but just doesn't work here. I have tried a few new outlets (this room is on a 15amp breaker, and these are 15amp outlets that I am using) My setup is below; please tell me what I am doing wrong:

|------------------|
|------------------|
|---|--|----|--|---|
|------------------|
|-------|--|-------|
|------------------| <- Red Wire (Switched)
|------------------|
|------------------| <- Tab between broken
|------------------|
|------------------| <- Black Wire (Always Hot)
|---|--|----|--|---|
|------------------|
|-------|--|-------| <- White wire is on the other side
|------------------| Tab not broken
|------------------| (ground is also hooked in the proper place

Last edited by Jhorton328; 02-21-2011 at 06:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 07:59 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
If your sure this is what you have-

The only thing that comes to mind is a bad recepticle. As hard as that may sound- but it is possible.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:25 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Did you turn the power back on? It should be working from what you describe. I agree with K-Builder; try the <$5 solution and get another outlet.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:22 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,484,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Did you turn the power back on? It should be working from what you describe. I agree with K-Builder; try the <$5 solution and get another outlet.
Sounds like OP has tried that.
I am curious what could be causing this, I plan to replace one I painted over(I like it but the wife thinks it is terrible haha). Hoping to not run into this problem.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:11 PM

Default Interesting . . .

Thanks guys for the help. this is my fourth new 15amp socket and I can't believe that every one of them is bad (figured I by a 5 pack and have them ready when others blow out).

Another poster did post a diagram, and that is exactly the way I have it setup. Still can't figure it out.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:16 PM

Actually, the only thing that is different on the diagram posted was the fact that the hot wires are coming in on the left. I have them going in on the right, but instructions for the outlets say that hots go into the 'brass' colored screws, and the neutral goes into the 'white' colored screws. Otherwise, this is exactly the way I have it set.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:36 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Are the black wires together with the pigtail to the switch and the red on the other side of the switch (like the diagram)?
Making a constant hot on one side of the recepticle and a switched hot on the other? Are you hot at the recepticle?

Old 02-21-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhorton328 View Post
Actually, the only thing that is different on the diagram posted was the fact that the hot wires are coming in on the left. I have them going in on the right, but instructions for the outlets say that hots go into the 'brass' colored screws, and the neutral goes into the 'white' colored screws. Otherwise, this is exactly the way I have it set.
The outlet instructions are correct. You can have some reverse polarity problems if you hook the hots up to the silver screws.

Have you checked the neutral wires in the box with the switch? Have you done any work in that box?

EDIT: What happened that prompted replacing the outlet to begin with?

EDIT2: any way you could post pictures of the wiring behind the switch and the wiring behind the outlet?

Old 02-21-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
Sounds like OP has tried that.
I am curious what could be causing this, I plan to replace one I painted over(I like it but the wife thinks it is terrible haha). Hoping to not run into this problem.
Yes it does, but you would be surprised how many times that question fixes a problem.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:29 PM

Hello,
So to respond to questions

1.) I went to change the outlet because it wasn't working. I assumed the outlet was not working.

2.) I have included my outlet and switch setup. As noted the switch does work correctly and activates the switched red wire when turned on.

3.) this is a standard bedroom, and ALL other outlets in the bedroom work correctly and are always hot.

4.) On further inspection, I was testing the connections of the other outlets and all wires seem to be hot as I expect. I did, however, find that for the offending outlet, I don't appear to be getting current flow when I test the black/red wire with the white wire. I understand that there should be current flowing between those. Black to ground (bare wire) give voltage. Red to ground gives voltage, Red/black to white do NOT give voltage, but appear to do so on the other outlets. Maybe that's the problem??

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House