Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 05:44 PM

1,032 posts, read 4,264,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by playnice View Post
Mannington makes an excellent pre-engineered product. It will hold up well to your child and dog and offer more for resale than would Pergo/laminates. Laminates have come a long way but I still find them lacking in quality, durability and above all else appearance.
Exactly!

We had Pergo in our last house (in the foyer) and I hated it! My sister had engineered hardwood and it looked really nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 11:26 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,327,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
DO NOT CLEAN REAL HARDWOOD WITH VINEGAR AND WATER! USE A SPECIAL CLEANER FOR WOOD FLOORS.

LAMINATES ARE AN INFERIOR PRODUCT, AND WILL NOT ADD TO THE RESALE VALUE OF THE HOME.
Its okay to disagree. We all have different opinions. Thats what makes a forum. But yelling is not cool.

I glossed over cleaning techniques because thats not what we were discussing. Ive used this method for years with no problems. One cup white vinegar to two gallons water and wring your mop twice so its barely damp. Dont use cider vinegar. Only use white vinegar. Everybody knows you dont mop wood like a sailor swabbing the deck.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:42 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,327,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Heres to your two cents- WRONG! Water and cleansers are for spills only. Then immediately dry with a soft cloth towel. For periodic cleaning- use a dust mop only- NO WATER!
Learn from the experts at:

National Wood Flooring Association - Regular Maintenance (http://www.woodfloors.org/consumer/maintReg.aspx - broken link)

Dust mopping and wiping up spills are good. But I clean for real people who cook and have multiple kids and multiple dogs. The whole floor needs cleaned not just spots. Damp mopping with a just barely damp mop will not hurt a wood floor.

Last edited by Cecilia_Rose; 01-03-2008 at 12:15 AM..

Old 01-03-2008, 12:05 AM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
We've had Pergo/laminate floating floors for 9 years now and never had a problem. The last house we sold had the same Pergo/laminate floors and that was the #1 selling point the buyers liked when they bought it.
The only problem I can see is if you have animals with large toenails slipping and sliding along the floor.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:48 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post

I glossed over cleaning techniques because thats not what we were discussing. Ive used this method for years with no problems. One cup white vinegar to two gallons water and wring your mop twice so its barely damp. Dont use cider vinegar. Only use white vinegar. Everybody knows you dont mop wood like a sailor swabbing the deck.
At our old house, I used white vinegar and water for about 10 years--and lived to regret it. When we added on to our house, we re-surfaced our floors, and the floor guy showed me our new and old floors side by side.
The old floor was *so yellowed* compared to the new!
Certainly I dry/damp mop, but I never used vinegar and water again.

I've said in other threads how disappointed I was with our engineered flooring (we did not choose it, it came with the house.)
I agree that every hard surface, even real hardwood floors, are going to dent, especially if, like us, you have a large dog.
But IMHO a real hardwood floor is better than the engineered stuff we have.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:40 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
Oil based varnish yellows with age all on its own - no vinegar needed. That includes the polyurethanes. Wood itself will also change color with age and exposure to sunlight so you will rarely have the same color 10 years later.

Water or vinegar on a wax floor is probably not good for it, but it is hard to see how a barely damp mop would harm a good polyurethane finish, vinegar or not.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:08 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Oil based varnish yellows with age all on its own - no vinegar needed. That includes the polyurethanes. Wood itself will also change color with age and exposure to sunlight so you will rarely have the same color 10 years later.

Water or vinegar on a wax floor is probably not good for it, but it is hard to see how a barely damp mop would harm a good polyurethane finish, vinegar or not.
Maybe just from wear and tear along with the acidic vinegar?
My household was pretty hard on the floors.
Dunno. It could well have been from sun exposure too.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:23 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Dust mopping and wiping up spills are good. But I clean for real people who cook and have multiple kids and multiple dogs. The whole floor needs cleaned not just spots. Damp mopping with a just barely damp mop will not hurt a wood floor.
I agree; I used to use a barely damp mop to clean a 40 year-old hardwood floor in England and never had a problem...but I never used vinegar. I used a wood cleaner specifically made for floors, diluted at half what the instructions dictated.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:06 PM

13 posts, read 39,664 times
The engineered hardwoods have the potential to increase the value of your home where the Pergo could actually detract on the value depending on the buyer when it comes time to sell.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:24 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick4466 View Post
The engineered hardwoods have the potential to increase the value of your home where the Pergo could actually detract on the value depending on the buyer when it comes time to sell.
I have flipped about 1-2 homes per year since 1999 (nothing this year). I dealt with many Realtors and their professional opinions and countless home buyers and contractors.

This is no opinion. This is a fact that those fake plastic floors like Pergo actually do detract from value like the above poster said. But also like the above poster said, it also depends on the buyer. Some people just dont know any better. It it looks new it has to be good.

Like PT Barnum said: There is a sucker born every minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House