U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-05-2011, 07:24 PM

63 posts, read 171,251 times
Default HVAC question: Thermostat replacement (pics included)

Figured it would be an easy pull-off-the-old-wires and put-em-on-the-new-one type of thing, but like any other upgrade in this house, it's not so.

What goes where? My current code doesn't match the new one. Thanks for any help you can offer!

The part of the instructions stating:
"If your old thermostat had Y1, W1 and W2 wires, stop now and contact a qualified contractor for help."

I don't have wires for each of those three, only Y1 and W2, but Y1 is jumped to W1, so, I don't know.

Here is what I bought:

Here is the inside of it:

Here are the instructions:

Here is my heating unit. I have a heat pump I believe it's called sitting outside the house. Pretty sure I need to wire this thing up for 'heat pump'.

Here is my current wiring:

X = Blue
R = Red
O = Orange
G = Green
E = White
W2 = Black
Y1 (jumped to W1) = Yellow
Brown not used
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 07:42 PM

If I had to give my best effort, it would go like this:

C = Blue
R = Red
O/B = Orange
G = Green
E = White
Aux = Black
Y = Yellow
Brown not used.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:57 PM

2,879 posts, read 3,732,864 times
Honeywell is very user friendly. It will not work with electric baseboard heat.

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/Home/P...ummaryList.htm

I noticed 7500 and 7600 but it looks like 7400 is an older model, where did you buy it?

http://customer.honeywell.com/techlit/pdf/67-0000s/67-5100.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by khuntrevor; 03-05-2011 at 10:09 PM..

Old 03-05-2011, 11:17 PM

I bought it from Lowes...hmmm...would not surprise me if they sold a discontinued model. I will have to look into that. I'm not too keen on paying today's prices for yesterday's technology, if there's a difference.

FWIW, I *think* I got it up and working right. We'll see in the AM!

EDIT: Looks like the 7xxx series is a 7-day programmable. Mine is a 5-1-1. The model they show is a 6400D, so maybe I have a newer model? I don't really know...

Old 03-06-2011, 11:26 AM

40,871 posts, read 42,001,653 times
Read the imboldened piint abot if your old one had Y1.W1 and w2 what to do.You need to take their advise.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:13 PM

3,732 posts, read 2,857,986 times
When I built my house, 13 years ago, code required a seer 10 heat pump, so I paid more for an up grade seer 12 [code is now seer 13] The HVAC contractor installed the typical cheap thermostat, but not only that, it was for a regular AC/heat unit. When I told him I wanted a heat pump thermostat to go with a heat pump system, I don't think he knew what I was talking about. He returned a few days later with a programable heat pump thermostat and installed it. There is cooling, heating and emerg heat function.
When I moved in [March] and tested the cooling system and then the heating system, I discovered that the emerg heat was not working. That's for when the compressor has problems or temp drops below 35 and you only want to use the heat strips.
I called another AC contractor to fix the problem. That's were the Y1, W1, W2 come in. I forget the wire colors and which wire has a jumper to what terminal and I don't want to pull to thermo off the wall to check it.
Call the customer service first before you pay for service call of a AC fix it company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House