U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 12:43 AM

5,546 posts, read 8,632,150 times

Advertisements

This person isn't licensed or bonded, so I guess maybe handyman is a better description. Anyway, he charged me aroumd $20 an hour more to get the job done or $40 more at what he quoted me at the low end.

In my Vicodin induced state (root canal today), I forgot about the cost of materials and just wrote out the check.

Is it common for contractors to quote one price and then charge more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 12:53 AM

3,891 posts, read 9,573,285 times
What did you have him do for you?

Old 03-16-2011, 06:03 AM

2,963 posts, read 3,065,882 times
If the hourly rate was agreed upon, then that's what you should pay him for his time. But, if the extra $40 is for materials, then that's only fair.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:39 AM

7,020 posts, read 7,812,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
This person isn't licensed or bonded, so I guess maybe handyman is a better description. Anyway, he charged me aroumd $20 an hour more to get the job done or $40 more at what he quoted me at the low end.
First of all, don't have people working on your house that are not licensed and insured. In the long run, it won't save you any money.

Second, from the way you wrote that statement I'd say he gave you an estimate, not a quote. I've never given a quote that had a "low end", but I have given ballpark estimates along the line of "it's going to cost somewhere between $xxx and $xxx." These are usually either over the phone, or on jobs that need materials which I don't have prices for at the time. I then contact the person back and give them a quote, which is what they actually pay me for the job.

All that being said, if he gave you a quote and said "I'll be charging this much for the work and materials" then turned around and raised the prices at the end, then he is completely in the wrong. People like that give the rest of the service industry a bad name. Unfortunately, if he isn't licensed, there isn't much you can do about it. Then again, if it's $40 there wouldn't be much to do anyway. Chalk it up as a life lesson (cheaper than a lot of people get), and next time get license, proof of insurance, and a written quote before you have someone work on your house.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:26 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,466,524 times
When did the job began??

When he left his shop or, when he got to your house??

This all should have been addressed.

Did he add in some mileage??

Old 03-16-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:

In my Vicodin induced state (root canal today), I forgot about the cost of materials and just wrote out the check.

Is it common for contractors to quote one price and then charge more?
You answered your own question.....

"He is NOT a contractor".

Old 03-16-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
If the hourly rate was agreed upon, then that's what you should pay him for his time. But, if the extra $40 is for materials, then that's only fair.
I paid for all the materials and he told me his hourly rate is between $25 and $45. When I met him he said $25. Then he upped it to "depending on the volume between $25 and $45. Well, I ended up paying him $68 (from the time I met him at Home Depot and the time it was finished, which was 8:15.

PLUS, I had a licensed and bonded contractor tell me he'd charge me $25 an hour to do work so I am kind of miffed. However, that contractor was/is very busy so that is out at this time. I had another handyman who charged $25 and hour in the past.

Oh well, had I not taken that pain pill I would have questioned it on the spot.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
When did the job began??

When he left his shop or, when he got to your house??

This all should have been addressed.

Did he add in some mileage??
As far as I'm concerned when I met him at Home Depot. As far as mileage, he did work for me before and certainly never charged me for mileage.

I guess it was my mistake not to clarify things more when he quoted me the price. Of course, since he said the job was three hours and I assumed he'd charge me $45 which would have been $135 in labor, he quoted me $220 so I assumed that included materials, which ended up costing $125.

I was fully prepared to pay him more since I chose the better materials, but that is something that should have been negotiated on the spot. Last time I hired him he quoted me $900 for a job and I ended up paying him $1100 (which I was fine with) as he changed the rollers on a couple of doors.

But my question is...do most contractors end up charging more than the original amount. In every case (my case) the answer had been yes, with the exception of one time or when I had that handyman who charged me what he said he would and that was $25 an hour.

Now, I realize this seems like a small amount to quibble over, but with no job, having replaced the pool motor for over $500, having replaced the irrigation system for $220, needing a new stove for $800, and paying for two root canals at $3700, it is kind of important (how much I pay for things) these days. Oh, and let's not forget the floors which cost me $5000. That's over $10K I've had to spend in the past six months so, yes, every amount matters these days.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned when I met him at Home Depot. As far as mileage, he did work for me before and certainly never charged me for mileage.

I guess it was my mistake not to clarify things more when he quoted me the price. Of course, since he said the job was three hours and I assumed he'd charge me $45 which would have been $135 in labor, he quoted me $220 so I assumed that included materials, which ended up costing $125.

I was fully prepared to pay him more since I chose the better materials, but that is something that should have been negotiated on the spot. Last time I hired him he quoted me $900 for a job and I ended up paying him $1100 (which I was fine with) as he changed the rollers on a couple of doors.

But my question is...do most contractors end up charging more than the original amount. In every case (my case) the answer had been yes, with the exception of one time or when I had that handyman who charged me what he said he would and that was $25 an hour.

Now, I realize this seems like a small amount to quibble over, but with no job, having replaced the pool motor for over $500, having replaced the irrigation system for $220, needing a new stove for $800, and paying for two root canals at $3700, it is kind of important (how much I pay for things) these days.
I do not.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
What did you have him do for you?
Drills six pieces of wood into two two existing walls. I think what happened was he was planning on using the cheaper materials and I wanted the most expensive (to look halfway decent). But like I said, I was fully prepared to pay him $45 an hour, which was his quoted hourly rate, plus go beyond the price of the job as I was the one who wanted the better materials.

Oh well, what's done is done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or