Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 09:57 AM

842 posts, read 2,587,826 times

Advertisements

I am looking into purchasing a Power Washer instead of the annual renting of one. Just bought a house a year ago and find the need to at least wash down my front, 2 back porches, and screened-in porch (at least twice per year) that is littered this time of year with the pine pollen dust reeking havoc on my outdoor living space. I wanted to know if investing in one of these devices is worthwhile instead of renting it each year. In addition, what should I look for if buying one of these things and how much is too much in terms of the monetary aspect of it?

I was looking at these and the PSI ratings and gallons it holds and was wondering if anything jumped out at anyone in terms of a decent buy ..

Shop Lawn & Garden : Outdoor Power Equipment : Pressure Washers at Lowes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 10:24 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,542,136 times
Your basic options are gas or electric power washers. Electrics are cheaper, but on average has less PSI pressure usually under 2,000 psi. Gas are more expensive, but have more PSI pressure and can do a wider range of jobs. IMHO, for washing decks, patios and walkways, an electric would suffice. If you need to paint your house, a gas pressure washer does a much better job of cleaning your siding and can do everything an electric can do. So it comes down to it's intended uses over time.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:39 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
I was looking at these and the PSI ratings and gallons it holds and was wondering if anything jumped out at anyone in terms of a decent buy ..
The "gallons" spec you're seeing is gallons per minute - how much water it can spray out, not how many gallons it holds - pressure washers have no storage. In over-simplified terms, the biggest "blast" would be represented by a higher PSI (pressure) and higher GPM (volume).

Old 04-07-2011, 11:59 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Higher pressure washers can be dangerous. You can cut off your foot. You can damage your house, and even damage concrete. For most homewoners, lower pressure is better. Are you looking to clean paint or stucco, or remove it entirely?

At Lowes you are going to get a mediochre quality machine (or garabge - skip the $79 one). However, using it once a year, it will probably last you quite a long time. If you are going to go with big box quality levels, consider getting a super cheap one at Harbor Freight. They are only slightly more chintzy than what you get at lowes. in fact many of the components are made int he same factory.

If you want to get one of the better quality, commercial grade type power washers, look for auctions online. A power washer loses about half of its value on the first use (no reason for this, it just is not "new" anymore). You can find some really good deals at online auctions that are selling off equipment of companies that go out of business. However some of those have capabilities to go to very high pressures and therefore are even more dangerous. You may have to wait a bit and watch a it. Sometimes the same auction house will sell a powerwasher for $450 and then a month later sell the same model for $125. It jsut depends on who is bidding and how interested they are.

I have a more economical solution. I have a neighbor who has a commercial grade power washer, and I just borrow his once in a while.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:17 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
I have found I use one too often to rent. I bought a modest gas unit but found the cheap aluminum pump unit did not last with the minerals in water here. I now have a unit with a bronze pump that should do better. Pressure ratings mean little as different heads will result in different numbers, and I guess a 2.5 gpm or higher rating is best.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:18 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times
The PSI means a huge amount, as no matter how good the tip is, it will be limited by how much pressure is behind it.

If you are looking at just surface cleaning (no ground in dirt, etc.), and only plan on using it a couple times a year, you can get away with anything from 2000 PSI to 2500 PSI. Using a fan tip, this will do a good job of knocking away surface dirt and light stains. Look for something with 2.0 GPM or more, as the more GPM you have, the faster stuff will rinse away. Don't bother with looking for one that has a chemical mixer on it, as the most common chemical you will be using to clean concrete is chlorine, and chlorine wreaks havoc with pump parts. If you need to spray chemicals, pick up a pump sprayer for $8 and save the pressure washer for the rinsing.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with an electric pressure washer. They usually rate at about 1700 PSI and 1.5 GPM, which isn't going to do you any good if you really want to clean concrete or even a wooden deck. Also, they generally come with 1 tip, and it can't be changed out. Being able to change tips is fairly important, if you have more than one surface type to clean. Electrics are decent for washing your car or boat, and that's about all I'll say for them... not to mention, electrical cords and running water aren't really 2 things that I like to see in the same vicinity.

A small gas unit would work fine in your situation, and with a bit of shopping you should be able to get one for around $300-$400. Considering that you probably pay around $75 to rent one, it will pay itself off in less than 5 years, and with proper care will last you for 10 years or more. Check your area for small engine shops, sometimes they have them used for a decent price.

One last piece of advice, don't forget the safety gear. Glasses, hearing protection, and SHOES. I watched a guy peel his skin back with a commercial pressure washer once, and haven't forgotten it yet. He was wearing flip-flops... (admittedly, he was using a unit that kicked out over 4000 PSI, but I'm pretty sure that anything stronger than a garden hose should require shoes).

Old 04-07-2011, 06:10 PM

842 posts, read 2,587,826 times
Default Thanks

Thanks folks, as usual you have provided some very useful tips and knowledge. I never realized how dangerous a power washer could actually be .. ouch. I guess that must be some serious pressure to cause that kind of potential injury to someone. I basically want one to wash down stained decks and concrete driveways and porch so I guess 2,000 PSI should be good then .. correct? I will also look into the online auction if I can find any. Thanks all.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:17 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,024,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Higher pressure washers can be dangerous. You can cut off your foot.
Pretty sure this person isn't going to go to get one that powerful. None of the ones you get at places like Lowe or Sears will cut off a foot. You've been watching to many movies.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:56 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,282 times
My old Sears power washer died, so I started doing some research online, and after weighing all the options, ended up buying this one: Amazon.com: Power Boss 020309 3,000 psi 2.5 Gallon-Per-Minute Honda GC190 Gas-Powered Pressure Washer: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Hasn't come in yet, but it looks like a pretty solid deal. I like the idea of a Honda engine; we'll see how it does in the long run.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:12 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,778,755 times
I like the Honda HD rents out. It was about 2500 PSI. It was amusing that they don't include the best nozzle with the rental. The guy said you could put your eye out. Well, what about those nail guns? and those saws? Always do a test area first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House