U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-17-2011, 01:14 AM
 
412 posts, read 890,438 times
Reputation: 174
Default Handyman Rates

What is the typical U.S. Average hourly handyman rate? A handyman moved into my neighborhood and told me that he would charge me $180 to install a sprinkler clock, change the innards on two toilets as well as install 1/4 turns on them. Is this a fair price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-17-2011, 06:20 AM
 
20,695 posts, read 16,036,637 times
Reputation: 8245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
What is the typical U.S. Average hourly handyman rate? A handyman moved into my neighborhood and told me that he would charge me $180 to install a sprinkler clock, change the innards on two toilets as well as install 1/4 turns on them. Is this a fair price?
This varies so much by area.

Get other bids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2011, 07:28 AM
 
Location: Johns Creek, GA
6,579 posts, read 20,171,909 times
Reputation: 5062
That would be a bargain in ATL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2011, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
3,884 posts, read 3,129,938 times
Reputation: 2452
Unfortunately, knowing the national average doesn't help you at all. What matters is the local average specific to your municipality. I can tell you that I would charge $xxx for a job in Jacksonville, FL, but if you live in Los Angeles, CA that figure doesn't do you any good.

Call around to other handymen in your area, and see what the average is over several quotes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2011, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Charleston, SC
5,070 posts, read 7,371,532 times
Reputation: 2226
What matters is your local rate. What else probably matters is how far your place is from other work they're doing that day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2011, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Apple Valley Calif
7,332 posts, read 11,283,030 times
Reputation: 4891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
What is the typical U.S. Average hourly handyman rate? A handyman moved into my neighborhood and told me that he would charge me $180 to install a sprinkler clock, change the innards on two toilets as well as install 1/4 turns on them. Is this a fair price?
That price doesn't sound too bad, it depends on what exactly he is doing. Does install a sprinkler timer mean mounting and wiring all of the valves, or just hanging the timer on the wall? Could take a couple of hours if he has to wire from timer to valves.
Same with the toilets, what are the innards he is installing? Some are a quick install, some need the tank emptied and removed. All these details could change the time he is working from minutes to hours..!
Does that price include all the parts and material? Just replacing the toilet valve with a 1/4 turn valve you have $20-30 in parts.
So it does depends on what all you're getting for the money. Is everything included for the price quoted??.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2011, 01:14 PM
 
412 posts, read 890,438 times
Reputation: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
That price doesn't sound too bad, it depends on what exactly he is doing. Does install a sprinkler timer mean mounting and wiring all of the valves, or just hanging the timer on the wall? Could take a couple of hours if he has to wire from timer to valves.
Same with the toilets, what are the innards he is installing? Some are a quick install, some need the tank emptied and removed. All these details could change the time he is working from minutes to hours..!
Does that price include all the parts and material? Just replacing the toilet valve with a 1/4 turn valve you have $20-30 in parts.
So it does depends on what all you're getting for the money. Is everything included for the price quoted??.

1) He would be replacing an old wall mounted sprinkler timer outside with a new one (different brand).

2) He would be removing the innards from two toilets and installing a Fluidmaster Complete Toilet Repair Kit in two of them.

3) He would be installing 1/4 turn valves on three toilets.

I would be responsible for buying all the parts. I would pay him $180 in labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2011, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Apple Valley Calif
7,332 posts, read 11,283,030 times
Reputation: 4891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
1) He would be replacing an old wall mounted sprinkler timer outside with a new one (different brand).

2) He would be removing the innards from two toilets and installing a Fluidmaster Complete Toilet Repair Kit in two of them.

3) He would be installing 1/4 turn valves on three toilets.

I would be responsible for buying all the parts. I would pay him $180 in labor.
An hour or less for the sprinkler timer X $35.00
Replace toilet innards one hour for both X $35.00
Replace inlet valve 30 minutes max X $17.50
Lets give him some travel time one hour X$35.00
Let's pay him to run to HD one hour X$35.00
Let's pay for his gas to your house 2 gal @ $8.00
We're up to $160.00, let's give him a $20. tip...
If the work is done to professional standard, Pay him and be happy....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2011, 10:25 PM
 
Location: Prospect, KY
5,231 posts, read 11,124,565 times
Reputation: 6150
We have a really wonderful handyman. He charges $30 an hour, but we pay him $40 for the first hour just to make sure it remains worth his time to work for us. Usually the things we need him for take less than an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2011, 01:55 AM
 
412 posts, read 890,438 times
Reputation: 174
Well I ended up having the work done and it took about 4 hours total labor. The sprinkler clock was difficult to install because the new one wouldn't fit/line up correctly with the existing pipes. That took about 3 hours and installing two complete toilet repair kits and replacing the 1/2 turns on three toilets took about 1 hour. So 4 hours of labor for $180.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top