Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 05:10 AM

470 posts, read 1,277,861 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone as advice about installing one of these. Since I live in the south (atlanta, ga) - would i Need a humidifier or dehumidifier?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 12:27 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
Dehumidifier, if your air conditioner isn't capable of handling it on its own. For example, it's oversized and doesn't run long enough to pull the moisture out of the air before the air is cooled down.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:53 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
As far as additional equipment- just a humidifier.
I prefer the units that are "hard-piped" into the forced air system. As I have mentioned in a previous post-
http://www.city-data.com/forum/17409113-post2.html
Since everyone has A/C in ATL and runs it from Apr. to Oct. (the humidity season), that's your dehumidifier.
Humidifiers are great for the heating season- it's generally tends to alleviate static shock and can also decrease your heating demand- warm moist air tends to feel warming to the skin.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:55 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,535,704 times
I would tend to agree with K'ledgeBldr...I live in Atlanta and last Fall I was curious about humidity levels in various parts of my house (especially my crawl space since I had just had it encapsulated) bought one of those simple thermometer/humidistat digital devices and kept in different rooms of our house all winter...wow, I was shocked at how dry it was. During the worst part of winter, we were at 16% humidity consistently and you could really feel it! Even running one of those little cheap humidifiers in the same room, the humidity only rose to around 22% max. I am curious to see how it is during the summer months with the A/C running, but like others have said, that acts as your dehumidifier. Right now my house humidity is sitting at 35-40%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House