Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 07:01 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,150,046 times

Advertisements

I have encountered a 14 yr old home with 14 gauge wiring and 15 amp circuits. Among other places where this is present is in the garage and you can't even plug in a refrigerator and freezer without popping the GFI on this circuit.

Many other areas of the home also have 14 ga. wiring on 15 amp circuits such as the living room, dining room, family room, bedrooms, etc.

I had thought that 14 Ga. wiring on 15 amp circuits went out years ago and was against code.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 12:42 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times
14 gauge and 15 amp circuits IS current code (2005 NEC). As for the freezer tripping the GFI -
a) if it trips the GFI, then its the compressor. Often times when a compressor kicks on it can simulate a ground fault and trip the GFI
b) if its tripping the breaker, then your circuit is overload. Again, its the compressor kicking on, b/c when it turns on it has a short burst of high draw and it could overload the circuit. You might need to get a dedicated for your freezer.

p.s. 20 amps are generally used in kitchens and baths, where you have things like blenders, fridges, hairdryers, etc. Things that draw a lot.

<the above was typed with help from my husband, a licensed electrician>

Now me - a freezer in the garage is not the most energy effiencent place b/c it will have to work against the heat and humidity in the summer and against the cold in the winter. Yes, even when the garage is cold in the winter, it will have to work - and may have the bonus effect of functioning as a space heater

Old 09-09-2007, 01:53 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
if it's the GFI tripping on the freezer circuit, you may want to consider replacing the GFI unit.

i've found that they do "age" and will trip inappropriately. I had to replace a few in our house that were 10-15 years old. Some would trip just from plugging in an extension cord with no load on the cord ....

Old 09-09-2007, 02:30 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
Both 14 and 12 guage wiring have been used in houses for years. The 14 guage wiring is used for overhead lighting and sconces. A 60 or 100 watt lightbulb doesn't draw that much current. 12 guage wiring is used for plugs which you would use for fridges, microwaves, washing machine, TV's, etc. which can draw a lot of current. And 6 guage wiring is used for 220 volt outlets such as for a electric range or a clothes dryer.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:49 PM

my previous home did not have any 14 ga. wiring in it and 15 amp circuits. All were 20 amp and above. Thus when I encountered 14 ga. wiring in a garage on a 15 amp GFI circuit, that was definitely something I was not accustomed to. Couldn't plug a freezer and/or refrigerator into that featherweight circuity. Also couldn't power a table saw or compressor. Bottom line: I had to have two dedicated 20 amp circuits installed in the garage with 12 ga. wiring.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:07 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Default Better Quality GFCI are available for a price

Good move... I've never heard anyone complain about having too many circuits or outlets.

I always plan so that major appliances have dedicated circuits... it cuts down on problems and in the worst case... if a breaker trips it only effects the individual dedicated outlet.

In my city, I was allowed to fore go a GFCI for the garage freezer because I had built an alcove in the garage just for the freezer and speced a single receptacle outlet. The inspector said he was concerned about garage convenience outlets within 8 feet of the floor and not a dedicated appliance circuit.

Hubel makes some very high quality GFCI's that can even be used in Hospitals... the fault sensing circuitry is more sophisticated to minimize nuisance tripping.

Did you also install a 220 garage circuit for bigger power tools?

Old 09-16-2007, 07:24 AM

27,335 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Are you saying they used a #14 for a freezer? Theres the problem right there. Freezers, fridge, should be on a 20 amp unshared circuit using 12-2. Though some might share the fridge with a dining circuit, its usually better to run it alone, in the long run, its worth an extra breaker. And definately not on a GFI, though if the wiring was run to the freezer first and then maybe tapped into, from there, for a plug or two in the garage, which one of them can be a master GFI without affecting the freezer pull, but I wouldnt run a 15 amp circuit to feed a freezer, or a fridge, its just too much output for the breaker.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:26 AM

27,335 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
if it's the GFI tripping on the freezer circuit, you may want to consider replacing the GFI unit.

i've found that they do "age" and will trip inappropriately. I had to replace a few in our house that were 10-15 years old. Some would trip just from plugging in an extension cord with no load on the cord ....

GFI's and breakers, in general, should be, though not mandatory, replaced every 10-12 years because yes, they do age and they have been known to quit working and then they wont trip when theres a short.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Good move... I've never heard anyone complain about having too many circuits or outlets.

Did you also install a 220 garage circuit for bigger power tools?
Ultrarunner, No haven't gotten around to doing that yet but likely will also put in a 220. There's plenty of room for expansion in that breaker panel which is not a Square D but a Cutler Hammer panel (Eaton Corp).

right now I am focusing on installing ceiling light fans in 3 upstairs rooms. Have to find the right junction box to fit a high cathedral ceiling and then run the wires to it from the wall switch area up through the wall and into the attic. Again, I am working with 14 ga. wiring on 15 amp circuits which hopefully will handle ceiling light fans.

back to Lowe's and/or Home Depot to find the right junction box for the cathedral ceiling in the upstairs office.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:28 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
I think someone else mentioned it, but if not is the freezer on a long extension cord? My air compressor will work fine when plugged directly into an outlet. If I put it in, on a longer 16/2 extension cord it will trip the breaker every time. 14/2 cord works fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House