Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:47 AM

839 posts, read 2,416,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM2 View Post
We don't get any strange people coming to our door to sell or otherwise. Most people are afraid of one of my large dogs. He is very energetic & likes to jump up on people if given the chance. He barks & growls at those who cross his territory. This comes in handy when I am alone at the lakehouse.

This house sits way back from the road. I have a steel gate which I partially close with a sign, NO TRESSPASSING on it. Closer to the house along the drive, a sign hung on a huge oak tree reads BEWARE OF THE DOG. I have many large plants & shrubs planted so someone cannot tell what may be loose in the yard or lurking near the house. If the person should make it to the door a smaller sign in a window reads, Forget the dog, Beware of Owner with the barrel of a gun pointing outward. LOL. Of course, both of my dogs would also alert.

I guess making a place uninviting to strangers works for keeping them from coming in to attempt a sale or --------. It does at our place at least.
This reminds me of when we lived in the country. We lived way out in the sticks. There was simply no earthly reason for someone to be out there unless he was the postman, the propane guy, or someone I knew was coming.

All of the folks who had some reason for being there knew my big Elkhound and he knew them, so no problems there, but more than one agent of religious conversion got run off by my dog......

Good Boy!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 03:26 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
So, I work nights sometimes and often sleep during the day because of my crazy schedule, and I'm getting pretty darn tired of these door-to-door solicitors waking me up.

Frankly, in this age of internet and whatnot, I don't really like the idea of strangers tromping through my property and coming to my door anyway - if I want to buy something, I can go find it and buy it myself!!! And it's creepy and unsafe to have some strange person at your door.

Wondering if y'all have any good strategies for keeping them away.

Our neighborhood (upscale) has prominent "No Soliciting" signs posted at the entrances. Frankly, I think most of these people are too stupid to know what 'soliciting' is.
We have a 24/7 security service that patrols through the neighborhood - I am guessing because so many people do come in to do various domestic duties, they aren't always sure who to boot, so they don't boot all the solicitors.
I have cute little skull and crossbones pirate sign by my front door that jokingly says, "Go away, we don't want any" that we got on a beach vacation.

Still we get these leeches...I could turn off the doorbell (annoying and inconvenient to remember to turn back on), but the dogs will bark anyway.

What else can we do?
I put up signs but they still come. So I trained the local brigades of assault squirrels and deployed them to strategic locations around the neighborhood as part of a top-secret anti-salesman campaign...

Voilla! No more door-to-door salesmen....

On a serious note, If they are gonna ignore the signs, the only (legal) solution besides sending them on their merry way is a big wall and bigger dog.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:08 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,180 times
I have Beware the Dog signs and a large stainless water bowl that I clean and refill often on the front stoop.Some use a NRA sticker on the front door but then they might want to steal your guns so??

Old 04-26-2011, 01:21 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
The new sign

We love our vacuum
We found god
And we gave at the office
No Soliciting

seems to be working better than the other one. Still, I hate to have a sign at all.

However, we're down to two hand bills taped to the doorknob and ONE set of religious folks who not only woke me up, they didn't apologize, and then when I pointed out that what they were doing was illegal, they started arguing with me. They said they didn't count when it came to the sign.
Once they started arguing, I got serious and said I was going to call the police. They then proceeded to act in a very, er, non-christian manner.

However, I did see them hightailing out of the neighborhood.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:31 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
You could try a sign that says "day sleeper" or maybe even "baby sleeping" (you should probably warn your friends about that one before they drop over, though).

Old 04-26-2011, 01:45 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
This subject came up before.
Indeed:
Solicitation ?

Old 04-26-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
You could try a sign that says "day sleeper" or maybe even "baby sleeping" (you should probably warn your friends about that one before they drop over, though).
They don't need to know my personal business or WHY I don't want them there. They just need to respect my privacy and wants/needs on my own private property.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:05 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,538 times
As another poster suggested, I would seriously look into methods to physically prevent entry to your doorway area -- a front-yard fence with a gate, an anteroom or foyer, or this type of sign which has worked well for my neighbor:

WARNING! DAY SLEEPER!

DO NOT DISTURB OR ENTER PREMISES WITHOUT SPECIFIC PERMISSION!

The neighbor has an arrangement with delivery and utility people, and his friends and family have been trained to leave a phone message, not drop in unexpectedly.

A sign of some sort like this posted AWAY from your front door on the walkway is your best chance of remaining asleep and not setting off your dogs. Good luck and get creative!

Old 04-26-2011, 02:20 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
They don't need to know my personal business or WHY I don't want them there. They just need to respect my privacy and wants/needs on my own private property.
From my own observation: if the solicitor already made it to your door, then nothing will stop him from ringing the bell or leaving a flyer. Sign or not.

"Check to see if your town/city has any types of ordinances that require permits for knocking door-to-door. If they do, you may actually have legal grounds to put a stop to it."
Any Visits from Jehovah's Witnesses lately? post #2

E.g. here is an ordinance for San Antonio:
http://www.nctona.com/node/67

Last edited by elnina; 04-26-2011 at 02:32 PM..

Old 04-26-2011, 04:01 PM

elnina, we already know it's illegal.

What's amazing is how that doesn't seem to stop them. I asked the cops what to do, and they tell me they want me to report all these people. But by then, I'm awake and harassed.

I don't want to put personal information on my house like, "Hey, everyone! I sleep during the day...so feel free to come rob us at night while I'm not here!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House