Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 08:43 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,955,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by returniac View Post
If u close the door on other people's facings ,they will close their door to yours...
Don't live by the sword,because u may die by a sword...

Conclusion.
Accept solicitors,because...we r all solicitors,one way or another...
Just give them a timetable of your availability & use the sign :
"DO NOT DISTURB"...
Put up a sign and give the Burglars, I mean Solicitors, a timetable of your availability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 09:10 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Call the cops.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:20 AM

82 posts, read 271,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Flyers bother me, because I travel a lot, and bunch of flyers around my entry door mean I am not home. That's the reason why I got rid of my mailbox. I do not need to advertise when I am home and when not.
Yeah I can see why that would bother you but that's a tough thing to stop. Like I said, leaving flyers is NOT SOLICITING which is why so many do it. Maybe you can have a neighbor remove these from your door when he/she sees them? That's what good neighbors are for!

Old 05-31-2011, 06:42 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times
Answer the door topless with a beer in your hand. (Keep an unopened beer by the door for this purpose.) "Yeah? Didya bring the pizza, or whut?" Scratching inappropriately helps, too... My son does this, I just take my teeth out... for some reason a toothless old hag answering the door in her housework clothes bothers folks.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,843 times
I have this sign up,,it helps,,i think they all walk away speechless,,if anything,,,lol,,lol
i will not answer the door if you didn’t call first: If you don’t have my phone number—well what does that tell you !

Old 04-04-2013, 09:36 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
I know this is an old thread but-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabagole View Post
...leaving flyers is NOT SOLICITING...
Only the ignorant make statements like this. Almost every county and municipality have codes against solicitation. Any mass produced letter, flyer, pamphlet, etc., that is for the purpose of goods or services is considered solicitation. The only exception are those that are for non-profit companies/organizations.

For me- I just don't answer the door unless I know who it is.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:28 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
So, I work nights sometimes and often sleep during the day because of my crazy schedule, and I'm getting pretty darn tired of these door-to-door solicitors waking me up.

Frankly, in this age of internet and whatnot, I don't really like the idea of strangers tromping through my property and coming to my door anyway - if I want to buy something, I can go find it and buy it myself!!! And it's creepy and unsafe to have some strange person at your door.

Wondering if y'all have any good strategies for keeping them away.

Our neighborhood (upscale) has prominent "No Soliciting" signs posted at the entrances. Frankly, I think most of these people are too stupid to know what 'soliciting' is.
We have a 24/7 security service that patrols through the neighborhood - I am guessing because so many people do come in to do various domestic duties, they aren't always sure who to boot, so they don't boot all the solicitors.
I have cute little skull and crossbones pirate sign by my front door that jokingly says, "Go away, we don't want any" that we got on a beach vacation.

Still we get these leeches...I could turn off the doorbell (annoying and inconvenient to remember to turn back on), but the dogs will bark anyway.

What else can we do?
Electric fence with a roaming Rottweiler?

Old 04-09-2013, 08:08 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,777,385 times
I'd put a note on the door that says baby sleeping, do not ring doorbell.

I'm guessing that would keep people from waking you up.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:38 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
Several members of our community have approached city council about making a city-wide no soliciting ordinance. Each time it has been shot down when people found out that Girl Scouts would be prohibited from selling cookings and Boy Scouts from selling popcorn door-to-door.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:39 AM

4 posts, read 7,713 times
Default Read thoroughly before answering questions in the future please

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It is a crime in this city to solicit if there is a sign near the entrance that says No Soliciting.

From our local PD solicitors ordinance:

You cannot place handbills at residences that have posted a sign near the entrance (not less than 3” x 4”) stating in some fashion that they do not want handbills left on their premises. This sign may state “No Solicitation”, “No Peddlers” or “No Trespassing”, etc.

You cannot go upon any residential premises for the purpose of solicitation and create any sound to attract the attention of the occupants if there is a sign near the entrance (not less than 3” x 4” with at least 2/3” letters) stating “No Solicitation”, “No Peddlers” or “No Trespassing”, etc.

And on top of that, trespassing is a crime, is it not? And isn't the definition of a trespasser someone you don't want on your property?

Frankly, I don't really feel like answering your sarcastic, ill-informed questions that aren't even addressing the point of this thread. Go troll somewhere else.
Oh geez, where do I start? Well, first of all, lets focus on the girls user name which is ohio girl which would make one believe she lived in ohio. So before answering a question with a bunch of gibberish and then calling her question sarcastic you may want to read the question and its origin. In the orc which means ohio revised code for those who don't know it specifically states that there is no law in ohio to prevent soliciting from door to door. So therefore it is not a crime and you can do it to your hearts content even if there is a no soliciting sign posted on the door. Secondly, even wcmh4.com states that there is no way to prevent door to door solicitors from coming to your door to peddle their wares. So as I said at the beginning this user is dead wrong and posted multiple incorrect quotations leading others to believe he was right then had the nerve to call the question sarcastic and ill-informed. That is funny as he obviously either doesn't live in Ohio or has an 8th grade education from Columbus Public Schools LOL sorry for his inconsideration ohio girl.
George
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House