Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:52 PM

366 posts, read 943,867 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a little clarification on what can and can't be run via a cold air return. I live in an old (130 year old) frame townhouse and am trying to minimize patchwork to the walls.

I know that electrical wiring has to be plenum-rated and romex is not an option. What about other types of wiring, such as HDMI, coax, fiber optic, and speaker wire?

I'm going to try and work around the return, but want to know the facts if I run out of options.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 10:45 AM

17,472 posts, read 65,994,520 times
The facts-
HVAC Ducting is not a raceway for wiring. Doesn't matter if it's line voltage or low voltage- period.

But, I must admit- I've seen it done. And everytime I see it I mutter to myself- Dumba$$!

Old 03-31-2011, 01:42 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,641,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckeesport_alum View Post
I'm looking for a little clarification on what can and can't be run via a cold air return. I live in an old (130 year old) frame townhouse and am trying to minimize patchwork to the walls.

I know that electrical wiring has to be plenum-rated and romex is not an option. What about other types of wiring, such as HDMI, coax, fiber optic, and speaker wire?

I'm going to try and work around the return, but want to know the facts if I run out of options.

Thanks!
Generally most codes, and they vary greatly between cities, do not permit wire, plumbing or HVAC to be in the same stud cavity. Most certainly they do not allow wire to be inside an HVAC duct.

Coax, fiber optic, speaker wire and phone lines do not count. They are considered low voltage and few codes exist on where and how to run them. That's why you see idiots running them under rugs, along baseboards, outside along the siding.......etc. Big eye sores too.

You mentioned romex but not BX. Most big cities forbid BX now a days. If I were an Electrician, outside of commercial work, I would want nothing to do with BX.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Most big cities forbid BX now a days. If I were an Electrician, outside of commercial work, I would want nothing to do with BX.

BX no. AC, yes. And most people still call it BX. And it's (AC) still used a lot today.
For instance, how about when you do a kitchen what is on the disposal?
Some convening authorities allow 3-prong pig tails but, most electricians like hard wiring the appliance in.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:51 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,237,547 times
wiring in hvac ducts is perfectly legal per the NEC, as long as its for environmental air. You can't run wiring in ducts for vapor and dust removal (exhaust ducts).

to the OP, you can use MI, MC, EMT, IMC, and RMC (all uncoated); FMC is permissible in lengths up to 4' for connecting equipment and devices inside the duct (fans, UV lighting, etc. . .)

As to you other guys; what did you think "plenum rated" cabling was for?

edit to add:

you'll need to put firestopping around the conduit penetrations where you're going between floors and seal-off's to prevent air and moisture flow between temperature differences.

as for the LV cabling; plenum rated or inside conduit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41
Coax, fiber optic, speaker wire and phone lines do not count. They are considered low voltage and few codes exist on where and how to run them. That's why you see idiots running them under rugs, along baseboards, outside along the siding.......etc. Big eye sores too.
Everything electrical is covered by the NFPA, publisher of the NEC. The NEC itself has quite an extensive code section on low voltage wiring, and some areas that refer you to other NFPA code books. Also LV wiring requirements can be scattered throughout other sections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr
. . . .And everytime I see it I mutter to myself- Dumba$$!
what was that?

Last edited by southgeorgia; 03-31-2011 at 09:36 PM..

Old 04-01-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
what was that?
I was hoping you'd pop-in. If anybody would know the answer, it would be you.
And the answer to the question- Romex and RG-6!

Old 04-01-2011, 07:06 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,237,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I was hoping you'd pop-in. If anybody would know the answer, it would be you.
And the answer to the question- Romex and RG-6!
That certainly sounds like hack work to me. Did they at least use bushings in the duct penetrations? I think I know the answer already.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:29 PM

335 posts, read 1,310,881 times
No wire, especially line voltage, inside duct work. Plenum rated means its meets fire rating standards regarding flammability and smoke generation.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:31 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,838,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
That certainly sounds like hack work to me. Did they at least use bushings in the duct penetrations? I think I know the answer already.
LOL! No kidding, I have seen duct penetrations that were using scotch tape as anti-chafe measures.

That was the same house that the brilliant mind who run a few extra circuits and didn't have staples of any kind... so he used small ring-shank roofing nails and "carefully" drove them through the center of the NM so (and I quote) "I made sure it only cut the ground since I don't think those do any good anyway." It was the owner, and for some totally unreasonable reason the house inspector wrote him up when he was trying to sell the house. LOL at least that is the story he gave us when we showed up to fix his screw-ups.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:32 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,838,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach.guy View Post
No wire, especially line voltage, inside duct work. Plenum rated means its meets fire rating standards regarding flammability and smoke generation.
Wrong!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House