Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 11:58 AM

190 posts, read 764,012 times

Advertisements

They supposedly are significant in saving energy and water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 04:29 PM

384 posts, read 2,221,040 times
I used to have one and hated the nasty smell of my clothes, and I hated that I had to clean out the dispenser a lot or it would turn black. I never really felt like I got all the gunk out even when I stuck my hand inside or cleaned it out with a brush. The gasket on the drum was nasty too, and I tried and tried to get that stuff out, but I couldn't get it all out. It was always wet too. When we moved the people that bought our house insisted that we leave them with the house, and I was secretly so happy that they wanted them because I didn't want them any more anyway. The only good thing I can say about them is that they were nice looking in my laundry room. When we moved into our new house I bought a top loading Fisher & Paykel which can use HE degergent or regular and in my opinion cleans my clothes just as well. They may be "boring" looking but I don't have to worry about that stink on my clothes anymore and never have to rewash a load even if I leave it wet in the washer over nite. Since I live in a different house I am not sure if it uses more water or not, but it is so much easier to deal with!

Old 05-26-2009, 07:48 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Just put some vinegar (you can buy the big jugs in the cleaning section in the supermarket) in the fabric softener spot each wash. It will help protect the colors on your clothes, and will keep away the smell. Cheap easy solution which also is good for the clothes. And of course keep the door open between washes.
I've been using my new low-end LG without a problem for 6 months. It works great. I always add the white vinegar to make sure all the soap gets out and instead of fabric softener, which I hate. If all the soap doesn't get out, then I get a rash. Guess the side-benefit is also cleans the tubes. I also leave the door open for a day to dry out, but I did that with the old top loader too.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:46 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
I highly recommend this too. Don't use commercial fabric softeners as they leave residues in the washer that will build up over time and which encourage mold growth. If your front loader is smelling, give it a good clean and then start using a small amount of white vinegar in the softener dispenser instead of the softener. Not only is it better for the wash and results in great smelling laundry, is it much less expensive.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:15 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,309,774 times
Almost bought a front loader last year, until I started reading reviews on the internet .. lots on the awful mildew odour.

Sounds like softeners are the culprit, and vinegar a great aid in helping to keep them clean.

Don't use softeners, but may try vinegar one of these days .. if I remember ..

Thanks for the tips!

Old 05-29-2009, 07:26 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Vinegar has been recommended for a long time as something to add to rinse water. My grandmother used to use it decades ago when she spent all day Monday washing in an old wringer washer and line dying the clothes afterwards. Supposedly it causes all of the remaining soap to participate out of the clothes. I've also heard it re-balances the chemistry of the water to since it counters the alkaloids in the detergent.

On the front loaders, as I mentioned above, I would highly recommend them over a top loader. The problem unfortunately are the "Americanized" front loaders of the last 10 years. They have been made gigantic over what normally has been available and filled with features that don't really do anything but drive up cost. Because of this, they have taken shortcuts with too many plastics and gaskets that that make perfect places for mold to grow on residues left behind by the detergent and softeners. The giagantic drums can't spin fast enough to get water out either.

If you want a front loader, I recommend that you do some homework on some of the lesser known brands that you won't find in Lowes, Home Depot and Sears. A good front loader will save an enormous amount of money over its lifetime in not only water and energy savings, but in supplies and the wear and tear on your clothes.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,996 times
I recently had this problem. No matter what we washed in our Whirlpool Duet front loader, the clothes came out smelling sour. Also, there was a rotten egg smell in the laundry room when someone took a shower upstairs. I took off the bottom front cover, use a star bit driver, 3 screws on the bottom and the cover will come right off. Get some towels, or chamois to soak up water under the lint filter when you pull it out. Oh, unplug the machine just to be safe. There is a round filter holder right under the washer drum that has a black hose attached to the back of it. You can unscrew the cap off of the filter holder and pull it out. I found numerous pens, quarters, paper clips, and trash plugging the draining system. Clean those out and reinstall the filter. Make sure you feel the black hose by squeezing it to make sure you got all of the trash out. Use a flashlight to look in all of the openings. This should allow the washer to drain properly. This is really easy to do. Try before you spend big $$ on a serviceman.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:56 AM

900 posts, read 2,371,654 times
My LG frontloader has been in use for a little over two months now and I haven't had any foul odors coming from it. I always immediately remove wet clothing and wipe the interior and surrounding seal after every wash. After which I leave the door and dispenser open.

The manual also says to run the tub clean at least once a month to get rid of any soap and softener residue.

So far no problem.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:05 AM

885 posts, read 1,521,195 times
Front loaders and their problems are discussed in the Green Living Forum as well.

I like my front loader - it forced me to stop using a mechanical washing machine entirely

Old 09-13-2011, 04:04 PM

681 posts, read 2,358,773 times
I've had my front loader for 5 1/2 years and it never created any funky odors. I've never even cleaned it! Basically, it stays clean by washing my towel loads in hot water/extra rinse and no fabric softener, and by keeping the door open when it isn't in use. I use fabric softener and regular warm/cold water cycles for everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House