Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 09:06 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
When I see a thread on HOA's I have to stop by to watch the desert guy make a fool of himself. He must have been denied access from moving into one. His communist rants are absolutely classic, going on and on about a subject he has no knowledge what so ever about.
I hope he has a better handle on his chosen profession or there are a lot of unsatisfactory kitchens in his area..
No rules are forced on to anyone, as the gentlemen said, the homeowners in the community make the rules, and the majority rules. Period... State laws govern what HOA's can and can't do...
If you don't like their rules, you can decide to live elsewhere. Please don't stop your rants, it lightens my day..
Where ya been? I thought they kicked your commy attitude outta here. Your sentence must be expired. Hey fool there are 6 pages of freedom loving citizens who despise these communists trying to rule how we live our lives. Why do you decide to single me out? Because of my intelligence? Because I still value freedom? Why don't you anyway? I have no intention of lighting your dark day nor your dark desire to be controlled. I do hope however that you prefer to live on your knees rather then die on your feet. What a despicable disgusting embarrassing sissy way to live. I can't say I feel sorry for you though after remembering the way you attacked so many people in the Home forum before being tossed or told to get lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 09:19 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
never worry my bro, i got your back on this HOA BS.

living in an apartment one finally saves up gets to buy a house to enjoy the freedom of owning,

yet having an HOA is like still having a LL where you cant do certain things, and have to follow rules.

i cant imagine having a back yard and the HOA says i cannot have a tree that is bigger than my fence, if i am even allowed to have a fence...
I can't imagine it either. But you just met one whom I just replied. Everyone is pointing and laughing at him. I'm sad for him though. Then again look who people like that voted for.

Ya know.......People are afraid of freedom. They want their lives to be controlled, to be put into a box: "Be here at 9, leave at 5, we'll take care of you."

People like that cradle-to-grave concept because it says you don't have to think too much, you don't have to worry too much, because someone else is looking out for you. Someone like Government, Communist HOAs, Teachers, etc. Whatever happened to self worth? It really feels good to make decisions for ones self rather then let others do it for you. I guess that's why I'm self employed and not work for some clown at the expense of my own time and pride.

There are leaders in this world and there are followers. Unfortunately the followers whom I described above far out number the leaders in this world. Grow some balls people. Fire those clowns who try to run your life and make your decisions for you. It's YOUR house that YOU paid for. NOT THEM!!!

Old 01-22-2013, 10:36 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
I always thought of myself as one of those staunch anti-HOA guys.

Now, I find myself living in one. I never thought it would happen, but moving to Florida for my job made me give in. It was simply too hard to find a place that wasn't in one when I was house hunting.

Like anything else, there's one extreme and then the other - with a whole lot in between - when it comes to these things. My HOA doesn't do a whole lot, which for me is terrific. The "rules" are what is specified the county code for this classification of residential development, nothing more. I was able to thoroughly go over them and there's nothing in there I can't live with.

There is no architectural control committee or anything like that. They HOA has one meeting a year, and the dues are minimal (under $50/year). So, there is practically zero impact on my life. That works for me.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:20 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Typically an HOA can tighten up but not override a local law.

Let us say the town says no fences over 8 feet tall. An HOA can limit fence size to less then 6 feet tall, but not allow fences over 8 feet tall.

An HOA can ban overnight parking on the streets within the HOA. If the town already bans overnight parking (as many do), the HOA cannot allow it.

Hope this helps correct any misunderstandings.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 5,040 times
How can an HOA assess a fee for parking in the HOA lot when CC&Rs state 1 car + storage in 2 car garage is allowed?

Old 09-18-2014, 08:12 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,785,881 times
Try reading your CC&R's because many people play dumb when it comes to these !!!

Old 09-18-2014, 09:34 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
Try reading your CC&R's because many people play dumb when it comes to these !!!
Having not read them is ignorance.
Reading them and pretending they didn't know is "playing dumb"- there's a big difference.

"Ignorance is no excuse for the law"

Or as Buford T. Justice said-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4fJIdMG-2WQ

Old 09-18-2014, 10:19 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewfunny View Post
Our association is having a parking issue problem. All the lots in our neighborhood are very small, with small driveways that accommodate - in many instances - only 2 cars. Therefore, some residents park on the street when they have a 3rd vehicle. I believe the City of Raleigh allows street parking on city streets IF the vehicle is parked in the correct manner.

The association covenants prohibit parking on the neighborhood streets by "owners". The question has come up -- do city ordinances override homeowner association ordinances? I could not find anything about this on line so far.

[+] Rate this post positively
Generally, if the Covenants you agreed to (signed for) have tougher restrictions then the local town, the Covenants will rule as you agreed to them. If you agreed to them, then live by them.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:47 PM

39,855 posts, read 26,482,831 times
I'm seeing LOTS of reasons never to live in a community run by a pathetic, power-crazed HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House