U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-07-2011, 09:58 AM

87 posts, read 203,806 times

Advertisements

We recently bought a home and the kitchen had been updated to a certain extent, granite countertops, brick tile backsplash, new sink and faucet and new dishwasher......however when I open up the cabinets under the sink it smells like a strong chemical/paint, I can't explain the smell but its strong........what can it be??
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 10:38 AM

11,781 posts, read 27,479,564 times
Could be adhesives outgassing. If so, open the cabinet doors when you are not around and give it a few weeks.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:57 AM

6,854 posts, read 22,094,858 times
More than likely-
It's the asphalt sound-deadening pad(s) on the underside of the sink. This is not the first time I've heard this complaint- and won't be the last.
Some sink manufacturers have gotten away from the asphalt pads and use other alternatives for sound deadening.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:29 AM

Thanks, glad to knwo where to pin point.........I am pregnant so the smell bothers me even more, going to try to throw in some baking soda boxes in there to see if it goes away if not then we will have to switch out the sink.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:09 AM

2 posts, read 8,885 times
I had exactly the same issue after our kitchen was remodeled. We had a stainless steel sink installed and there was a very strong chemical type odor coming from the cabinet. After looking at everything (the wood, adhesive, caulk, AAV valve, etc.) finally found that it was the sound dampening pads on the bottom of the sink. They are made from tarry, asphalt type material and emit an odor. Not all sinks use the cheap type like this and many manufacturers have upgraded the sound dampening material to they type that doesn't smell.

I wound up scraping the sound dampening pads off and used a strong commercial type adhesive remover to get the residual mateial and adhesive used to stick them on off the sink. The sink is now louder when I run water but I will be putting some cork on the bottom and that should help.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:36 AM
QIS

667 posts, read 1,747,798 times
I like stanatl's offering! If you can put your nose up to the sink and identify the insulation material as the culprit, you can encapsulate the smell with paint ( maybe alkyd if you feel that acrylic won't stick).

Old 04-22-2011, 10:12 AM

Thanks guys, it is definately the insulation pads, I rubbed them with my hands and smelled it and yuck the smell was definately coming from there, we put baking soda boxes under the cabinets and closed them up. When we move in, if it still smells then we are scraping them off or painting over them. I promise that smell has got to be harmful in some way.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:23 PM

The smell is driving me nuts, I refuse to open any cabinets that are under the sink and that connect to it................should I just scrape the pads off?? I feel like any dishes that have been in contact with this smell are unsafe......can this smell be harmful?? the off gasing of this material used is ridiculous!! ugh

Old 05-23-2011, 05:14 PM

6,854 posts, read 22,094,858 times
I think you have been given options as to remediation- the rest is up to you.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:25 PM

359 posts, read 804,816 times
Activated charcoal is supposed to soak up smells. Try putting some in a pan and placing it under the sink with the doors closed. They sell it in pet stores for aquariums and ponds, but they make products just for odors.

How well is your house ventilated? Perhaps a window fan in a kitchen window will help.

Does activated charcoal stop smells? | Answerbag
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House