Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2011, 01:23 PM

667 posts, read 1,848,697 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am looking at houses to buy. One house I like is covered outside with shingles. They are very attractive, but are they hard to maintain?

What questions should I ask the seller's agent--maybe before I even schedule an appointment to see the house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 01:31 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Do you mean "cedar, or western red shake"?

Old 04-07-2011, 05:28 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,542,136 times
Our house has machined cedar shakes/shingles as siding. It's no harder to maintain than any other wood siding. Ours is painted versus some houses that are natural, so I don't know if anything special is done to maintain it if it's natural. The only problem is you usually end up destroying them when you remove them if you're doing exterior remodeling. Finding ones that match can be a problem, since companies have gone out of business, but it is possible to find something similar.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:01 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,378,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Finding ones that match can be a problem, since companies have gone out of business, but it is possible to find something similar.
They also change color over time - so matching them is always a problem - which is one of the reasons some people end up painting them!

I think they look lovely, on the right house, whether left natural or painted!

Old 04-07-2011, 08:54 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times
It really depends on the shingle or shake it's self and the environment that they are exposed to. I was talking to a renovator in Lewes Delaware about it. I noticed that some of the pre revolutionary houses, churches ETC. still had what I could tell were their original shingle siding. That's over 200 years old. WTF???? Well, I found out that this siding was made from cypress that was mined from swamps where it had laid for hundreds of years. We have many old buildings here in ontario that have Eastern cedar sawed shingles that are over a hundred years old. Now, I have seen houses with western cedar shakes that were completely done, worn out and ugly, that were 20 years old or less.

If they are in the shade it's gonna be a problem for sure as they never dry out well and stuff grows on them they rot and attract insects. I think the capital of the world when it comes to wooden roofs and siding both board and shingle is Vancouver BC. Now, it's a wet environment there and the siding keeps a virtual army of painters busy. They sure are beautiful all painted up and looking good but it's a never ending struggle. My sons who have lived there for many years needed an old easterner like me to point out to them that a lot of the best looking ones were in fact asbestos that looks almost identical to the wooden ones. LOL. I had one house in my time with cedar on it and, Yep, my worst nightmare came true when one day a spark from my neighbours fireplace landed on a shingle. In 10 minutes the whole wall was ablaze. That's the thing I hate most about exterior wood. It burns so easily. These days in Vancouver they are using a wood fiber,concrete board that looks great and will last 100 years. Also it does not burn, rot or any of the other things wood does.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:08 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,378,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
If they are in the shade it's gonna be a problem for sure as they never dry out well and stuff grows on them they rot and attract insects.
I would assume that's only in humid wet places. In Southern California, up in the mountains, lots of the old cabins have cedar shingles, and there's no problem. Cedar is actually a great building material - since it repels some insects.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:36 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
My huge ant (mentioned in another thread) had shingles. It is very painful. You should get your house treated by a doctor. At least give it some advil.

(Shingle houses are usualy quite beautiful right up until someone rpleaces the shingles with aluminum siding or soemthing equally awful looking). Iff you love the look then just maintain it and they shingles will nto give you problems. Keeping wup wihtthe maintainence is the key. If you let things go, it will be a mess and expensive. If you take care of the shingles,, you whould nto have any major problems and you house will be uniuqque and really cool looking.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:28 AM

Okay, so your replies definitely give me some things to ask. Thank you. The house is extememly beautiful, it is the most striking looking house on the street.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My huge ant (mentioned in another thread) had shingles. It is very painful. You should get your house treated by a doctor. At least give it some advil.

(Shingle houses are usualy quite beautiful right up until someone rpleaces the shingles with aluminum siding or soemthing equally awful looking). Iff you love the look then just maintain it and they shingles will nto give you problems. Keeping wup wihtthe maintainence is the key. If you let things go, it will be a mess and expensive. If you take care of the shingles,, you whould nto have any major problems and you house will be uniuqque and really cool looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House