U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 10:26 AM

507 posts, read 1,473,417 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know a way to get water marks off counter tops?

I have what I can only assume are white water marks on my counter tops and nothing seems to get them off It's like small areas of a white-like caste.

Also the metal in my shower is black in some areas.... have no idea why... it's like a stain on the metal.

Can anyone help?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 01:16 PM

6,664 posts, read 28,880,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrainOfSalt View Post
Does anyone know a way to get water marks off counter tops?

I have what I can only assume are white water marks on my counter tops and nothing seems to get them off It's like small areas of a white-like caste.

Also the metal in my shower is black in some areas.... have no idea why... it's like a stain on the metal.

Can anyone help?
You did not tell us what the materials are. Sounds to me like you have some damage from acid on the metal and maybe the top. If it is stainless, acid will leave black spots that seem like they will not come off. It only gets worse with time as the acid will keep etching the metal. Use baking soda and a brillo pad to neutralize and remove stain.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:35 PM

25,626 posts, read 34,053,390 times
Pictures? Have you tried vinegar.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:24 AM

Not sure how I'm getting acid in the shower where the metal is, but I will try the baking soda... thank you.

The counter tops are laminate. Does that help? I've tried scrubbing the marks off but it doesn't work. Is there a finish or something I could use to get rid of the marks?

Old 04-13-2011, 09:18 AM

I don't have a camera right now to take a picture but it's formica laminate.

I'm pretty sure it's a water mark stain, the color of the counter is black and it's a white-ish mark on top of the black that won't go away with normal cleaning.

Am I the only one who has gotten this type of mark? anyone? I'm at a loss as to how to get rid of it. I also wondered if there is a product to put shine back on the surface and maybe that would get rid of the mark?

ps- I did try vinegar it didn't help. It's like the cleaners aren't penetrating the finish, that's why I wondered about something to renew the finish?

Old 04-13-2011, 11:17 AM

15,802 posts, read 58,871,837 times
Watermarks on laminate can be removed with denatured alcohol- wipe repeatedly with clean cloth saturated with denatured alcohol, continue until mark is gone.
To eliminate a recurrence of watermarks (other than not using or touching it at all), use car paste wax if it's a high-gloss laminate. Not recommended for textured laminate.
I use car paste wax on cultured marble all the time- granted I don't prep food on cultured marble- but, before the pundits come out of the woodwork- car paste wax applied and buffed has as much of a chance of poisoning you as you do winning the lottery.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Watermarks on laminate can be removed with denatured alcohol- wipe repeatedly with clean cloth saturated with denatured alcohol, continue until mark is gone.
To eliminate a recurrence of watermarks (other than not using or touching it at all), use car paste wax if it's a high-gloss laminate. Not recommended for textured laminate.
I use car paste wax on cultured marble all the time- granted I don't prep food on cultured marble- but, before the pundits come out of the woodwork- car paste wax applied and buffed has as much of a chance of poisoning you as you do winning the lottery.
Thank you very much! I will be getting some denatured alcohol later today. I have the textured laminate so I can't use the car wax.... can you think of anything else that would help textured laminate?

Old 04-14-2011, 08:03 AM

The denatured alcohol didn't work. After using 3/4 of the can with no change I gave up.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:15 AM

15,802 posts, read 58,871,837 times
Well, assuming it's Formica brand laminate (most are made the same way)-
Here's the "care and maintenance" from Formica-
http://www.formica.com/documents/Laminate_HPL&CC2_UseCareWarr_012510.pdf (broken link)

Other than a few name brand cleaners you'll see the baking soda method and the mention of denatured alcohol. If you truly have a waterspot (which it's not sounding like) either one of those should have remedied the situation. It's starting to sound more like an acid stain- there's no remedy for that. Especially on the textured laminate.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:34 AM

1 posts, read 53,127 times
Default It works

Sorry... this post comes years later but maybe it can help someone currently experiencing this problem. I had the same problem with eye-sore water/acid stains in my laminate counter top. I was on the brink considering purchasing a new countertop when I stumbled on the answer.
For the most part my laminate counter is in great condition after 14years. The side between the stove and sink somehow was logged water/acid stains. I tried everything...vinegar, baking soda, majick erasers..etc. They also seem to make the problem worst. Finally I tried a good quality LEMON OIL and that did the trick. There is no build-up with a good lemon oil. The main base in lemon oil is mineral oil. Re-apply as needed. I now use counter mats to preserve my 14year old laminate counter and to prevent further damage. Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House