Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 01:53 PM

564 posts, read 1,721,318 times

Advertisements

I got an estimate from Empire Today when they had their famous sale last month - buy two rooms get the rest free, and the price was really high even for the five rooms, let alone two. Now I want to go with one of these three (Costco, Lowe's, or Home Depot) because I am new to the area (NJ) and don't know of any reliable small business. Any thoughts on their quality for the product? The guy I talked to at Home Depot suggested Martha's Living, however, he didn't seem to know the answer to any of my questions, kept having to check, and plus, I am not a fan of Martha's (although I know it is not relevant here). I want nylon, good quality carpet with a 15-20 yrs warranty, and stain protection. 4 bedrooms and a long hallway, 1280 sq feet.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 01:59 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
I would get several estaimates, and while I would not completely rule out any "discount club" or "big box stores" you should know that those kinds of operations generally "farm out" the whole process to "real" carpet stores that pay a premium for the referral. That referral gets tacked on to your bill OR resullts in some "house brand" or carpet that is of a lower quality with the "big box" betting that you won't make a warranty claim before you move...

When you are new to an area it does take more leg work to track down a true "we did business with them and they did good" testimonial, and even then I still suggest getting estimates from at least two or three such truly refered for their good work type firms...

Old 04-11-2011, 02:24 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,831,016 times
Carpet One is a reputable franchise/co-op in my area, (I think they're pretty much indie stores pooling resources to get bulk discounts and provide quality control guidelines) and doesn't turn up many negative responses when you google them on the web in general. They also carry a nice mix of mid-level to higher end product.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:29 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,980,814 times
Any neighbors that you can get referrals from?

Indeed, the big box stores just farm out their installation to a local shop, so odds are you'll be paying more than if you went direct to that local shop in the first place.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:10 PM

564 posts, read 1,721,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I would get several estaimates, and while I would not completely rule out any "discount club" or "big box stores" you should know that those kinds of operations generally "farm out" the whole process to "real" carpet stores that pay a premium for the referral. That referral gets tacked on to your bill OR resullts in some "house brand" or carpet that is of a lower quality with the "big box" betting that you won't make a warranty claim before you move...

When you are new to an area it does take more leg work to track down a true "we did business with them and they did good" testimonial, and even then I still suggest getting estimates from at least two or three such truly refered for their good work type firms...
Yes, I know the big ones sub-contract, however, I have a lot of trust in Costco and Lowes. If something goes wrong, they will stand up for me with the little guys... I am always running around, and in the few months we've been here I haven't had a chance to meet my neighbors... I really want to do the carpet, so I can get bedroom furniture next. The rooms are bare now, just beds - it's a terrible feeling...

Old 04-11-2011, 07:01 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,707,417 times
Yay, I get to say this before Desertsun41 does.

Do not buy carpet or anything else that needs to be installed from big orange, big blue, or any other big box store. They just want your little green. Hit the internet, do a search for carpet installers in your area, call them, and ask for references, both good and bad (get a reference number for a job they had to go back on, in other words). Then call those references and see what the people think.

Unless you have massive amounts of disposable income and don't care about the quality of the carpet, I don't really understand why you would be willing to use those big box stores over the local businesses just to save some time.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
I have to say that the contractor who did the installation for Lowes on my mother in law's home did a great job. I have also seen terrible jobs from independent shops. Most at at least here use the same installer contractors.The contrator is the key to a great install as witmostthings.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:23 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,707,417 times
Yes, the contractor is the key, but you end up paying more by going through the big box stores than you would by going directly through the contractor. Hence why most of us say don't use the big box stores.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:25 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,831,016 times
The Carpet Ones around me use 'We fix other stores' $79 installations' as a slogan.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:37 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,056,666 times
We've had Home Depot carpet installs and numerous appliance installs and never has a single problem or complaint with any of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House