Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 03:25 PM

17,420 posts, read 65,612,338 times

Advertisements

Chet-

I put you over 3k!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 09:57 AM

19,666 posts, read 9,982,414 times
When you look at the total cost, all the big box stores are more expensive than the mom and pop stores. They add a lot of extras to the cheap advertised price and they charge 3 times as much for pad as the smaller stores.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:19 AM

858 posts, read 1,140,468 times
I'm also looking to replace carpet in a couple years. This is a great thread. I was wondering how does moving furniture during installation come into play as far as total pricing for the job? Is it better to move furniture yourself or does it make a difference if they did it? Is it customary for them to do it as part of the installation?

Old 04-16-2011, 11:09 AM

600 posts, read 3,441,451 times
JimRom and DesertSun41 got it right.

I am a flooring professional. I work in a small family-owned store. We are part of the Abbey Carpet buying group, similar to Carpet One and a few others.
You have been tricked into the notion that you can get your "....whole house carpeted (labor only) for only $99.00!"

Really? Only $99.00? Really?

The average carpet job is around 90 sq. yds. A good installer makes an average of $3.50/ Sq. yd. so for an average house, he's going to make $99.00 instead of $315.00? And that money is paid to the retailer, not the installer. Do you think all the money gets paid to the installer? Not a chance. The sore gets their money right off the top. Plus, the installer will pay his helper out of that money. A good helper makes about $10 /hour, so for a days work....

You see where this is going?

A professional flooring store's ideal location would be in the parking lot of the big box stores.

Regards,
Streamer1212

Old 04-16-2011, 03:03 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,969,287 times
I would go with Lowe's or Home Depot, whichever is cheapest. I like Costco but I probably would not go with them.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:31 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,033,284 times
I would stay away from the big box stores unless you want to pay twice as much for a lesser grade carpet. The single most important thing to remember when comparing carpet is the piles per square inch. The cheaper the carpet equals less piles per square inch.

You can also purchase direct from most manufactures like Mohawk etc. They will ship right to your door and you can save an easy 25% or more. And always use the pad that is recommended for the carpet you buy. Too thick of a pad with a plush carpet is not good for your legs.

busta

Old 04-16-2011, 09:43 PM

19,666 posts, read 9,982,414 times
On top of the $99, the big box stores charge up tp $25 for each piece of furniture they move, $25 or more for each step. As much as $1.50 per ft to install tack strip. Many of these things are free at local stores. Big box stores also charge up to 3 times as much for padding. These $99 install prices are only for "special order" carpets. If you want 2 or more different styles of "special order" carpet, there is an extra $99 for each one. They also have very poor records of resolving problems after the installation. There is even an extra charge to carry the carpet upstairs.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:37 AM

2 posts, read 22,656 times
There are several Costco and Home Depot employees making posts on this thread. The bottom line for me is this: corporations exist to destroy all competitors, then historically offer a more limited and inferior selection of products at their monopolized price. Your independent business neighbors, nor yourselves, can continue to exist as other than corporate slaves if this continues.

Hiring is not a computer push-button process. Rise-up off the lazy arse, make several phone calls, talk to several neighbors, and work like normal humans who are part of a human existence system. This is better than becoming brain-dead automatons always seeking the cheapest and laziest solution.

Corporate products usually suck, and are getting worse daily. Expend a little human energy, reach out to your neighbor, and hire real human beings to do real human work in your supposedly human home. OK ?

Old 07-28-2012, 04:38 AM

2 posts, read 22,656 times
Exclamation The Best Solutions and Best Suppliers

There are several Costco and Home Depot employees making posts on this thread. The bottom line for me is this: corporations exist to destroy all competitors, then historically offer a more limited and inferior selection of products at their monopolized price. Your independent business neighbors, nor yourselves, can continue to exist as other than corporate slaves if this continues.

Hiring is not a computer push-button process. Rise-up off the lazy arse, make several phone calls, talk to several neighbors, and work like normal humans who are part of a human existence system. This is better than becoming brain-dead automatons always seeking the cheapest and laziest solution.

Corporate products usually suck, and are getting worse daily. Expend a little human energy, reach out to your neighbor, and hire real human beings to do real human work in your supposedly human home. OK ?

Old 07-28-2012, 12:39 PM

9,299 posts, read 16,590,747 times
Costco has always stood by their products/work; I would definitely go with them. Lowe's? I had a laminate floor installed and the sub made a mess, not only of my floor, but the house. Lowe's ended up reimbursing me for half the cost. I had to have someone else come in and repair the mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House