Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 11:08 AM

5 posts, read 17,322 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Recently, I signed a contract for a new house. The house is under construction and the builder just got the frame of the house done. Now, it is the time for me to suggest builder if I need any kind of changes in the electrical setup.. For e.g. outlet, any extra lights

There is a large group of people here who have already gone through this. I wanted to know what all in their opinion should be done while the house is under construction since doing those setup at a later point might turn out to be too expensive.

My objectives are:
i) Minimize the wires visible outside; I use laptops, and other comupter related devices and currently in my apartment I run into these issues where there are quite a bit of wires visible and sometimes they come in your way.

ii) Add on things that increase the feel and value of the house but with less money.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 01:16 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
I like a outlet on each wall in the rooms. I like several quads in the kitchen. Two or three patio lights. Garage same as kitchen, plugs everywhere. If you plan on a flat screen TV in the living room a outlet 5 feet off the floor with cable outlet.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:57 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
I would want all the outlets 36'' off the floor. And an outlet or 2 in the middle of the livingroom floor. On either side of the logical place for the sofa. And special outlets for flat screens assuming you know where you would want them.

I would also wire the whole house for ethernet so you could have internet access wherever you want. Wireless doesn't always work well in the house and a wired network is much more secure.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:55 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Figure out what wall your bed is going to be on and put four outlets on each side. That way you'll have enough for radios, lamps, electric blankets, phones, cell phone chargers etc. etc.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:29 PM

160 posts, read 1,161,755 times
Good suggestions here so far.
Be sure to check your door swings and switches. We changed a door and then oops--we had to put the door on backwards so that the door pulls out into the hall because of the light switch placement.
Wish I had an outlet on both sides of my bathroom mirror vanity. Put one where you may think you would have a bathroom TV.
Put on outlet or two above kitchen cupboards for any atmoshere lights you may want.
Put a switch indoors for any seasonal outdoor lights you may put up during holidays. (Be sure to have an outlet or two in your outdoor soffits.)
Agree about the floor outlets in living room. wish I had.
Also wish I had put another outside light on my patio on the other side of the patio--not just at the door.
Be sure to have lots of cable and phone options. Sometimes you don't know how the space works until you have moved in and for different arrangment options.
Have an outlet in your walk in closet--for an ironing board or lamp.
You could also plan a space for all the gadgets that need charging.

My 2 cents worth--may think of some more.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:40 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
How many outlets do you have in the garage? We only had ONE and it was to be used for something so we wouldn't be able to plug in an extra fridge that we had. So we made sure they added an extra outlet there.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:53 PM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Depending on your yard I'd have outlets in both front and back. Plus a blank circuit in case you want to wire an outbuilding or pond.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:18 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
HDMI in the wall between a server closet and the TV, and a cable line in to the server room.

Speaker wires in the walls of course.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:47 PM

165 posts, read 1,284,867 times
An outlet out of sight on top of the fireplace mantle (if you have one).

Old 04-18-2011, 07:07 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
How many outlets do you have in the garage? We only had ONE and it was to be used for something so we wouldn't be able to plug in an extra fridge that we had. So we made sure they added an extra outlet there.
If I had my druthers I would have a subpanel feeding the garage with a raceway over the workbench and the option of 240v power. If code permits I would prefer for the garage to be "surface wired" with MC cable and exposed junction boxes - much easier to modify to taste later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House