Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2011, 01:30 PM

87 posts, read 399,037 times

Advertisements

I have a fireplace in a home I bought, however the chimney does not have a cap. It is an old brick type chimney........the fireplace is used with a natural gas line.......... My question is, wouldn't the previous owners have had problems with water or critters coming down the chimney?? What else can I put up top in the meantime while I buy a cap?? I know NOTHING about fireplaces nor chimneys..... Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 02:07 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,847,869 times
Make sure that you measure the outlet of the chimney (get on the roof and check it),
then buy the appropriate chimney cover.
The base is slightly larger and it is secured with a couple bolts.
Do it yourself, because the pros will soak you !!!
But ...
Before you do anything, call a chimney sweeper and have him clean it !!!

WARNING:
When he does come (the sweeper), make sure he does NOT leave your house full of soot.
The last chimney sweeper, we had, worked hard to clean the chimney,
but had no clue about keeping the house (living room) free of soot.
It took us hours and hours to get all the soot out.

Question:
<<<I know NOTHING about fireplaces nor chimneys.>>>
Will you just be using your fireplace as a decorative entity,
(like look at the flames, and heat up the outside of the house ???),
or will you try to use the fire place to supplement the heating of your living room ??

<<<What else can I put up top in the meantime while I buy a cap??>>>
How long will you take to get a chimney cap ???
All you do is measure the thing, go to the hardware store,
buy the cap and mount it !!!
Your estimate to do that would be how long ????

Sometimes, gas fire places, have these *fake* log thingys,
and that is OK, if you do not mind fake stuff ...
But even with fake stuff, you could create havoc,
if you do not watch for sparks and whatever
*jumping out of the fire place* and landing on your carpet ....
So a nice *door* is almost mandatory !!!

Just for your info, our fireplace is used to heat up our house !!!
We have a blower system, that spews out,
almost 185 degree air out of the vents.
The air vents are heated by the flames.
Only one problem with wood fire places to heat the house.
No heat control .... It gets warm and cozy, and then you open up windows ...

Old 04-18-2011, 02:39 PM

87 posts, read 399,037 times
I would hardly use the fireplace for heating, I am in Texas, coastal area so winter is not big over here.........its mainly decorative.

It does have a glass door in front of the fireplace so that is done.

I just wonder if any damage is there from so many years without a cap.........so wierd that the previous owners never had one and I know that when I went to the house twice, they had the fireplace on..........

We will have to measure the outlet and then go to the hardware store and see if they carry that size, otherwise, I might have to get it custom made........

I have lots to learn about fireplaces........for now we won't be using it. The hot hot summer is coming in and we won't be using it......however I want to take preventive measures in order for the chimney not to suffer any more water damage........

Old 04-18-2011, 04:03 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,601,809 times
Well most chimneys are brick and morter, well suited for weather and rain.
Before you use it make sure the damper is open, this is operated with a small lever just out of sight in the firebox..

Old 04-18-2011, 08:46 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,050,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageGirl View Post
I have a fireplace in a home I bought, however the chimney does not have a cap. It is an old brick type chimney........the fireplace is used with a natural gas line.......... My question is, wouldn't the previous owners have had problems with water or critters coming down the chimney?? What else can I put up top in the meantime while I buy a cap?? I know NOTHING about fireplaces nor chimneys..... Thanks
Cover your stack with a black plastic garbage bag taped to the stack or visqueen. Don't use it until you remove the visqueen and install a cap.

Call your local copper smith and have them come out and measure and build you a cap or hire a brick mason to build you one.

After the cap's installed have your fireplace inspected and cleaned in needed before using.

busta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House