Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 08:59 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,287,634 times

Advertisements

"What's wrong with you people??? Repeating "locksmith" isn't helpful at all.."

Describing how to break into a property isn't very helpful either.
How about this?
Use a credit card. I've seen that technique used many times. Of course if the house has a good deadbolt, the credit card will not work.
Depending on what kind of doors and windows you have, and how good of shape they are in, there are various ways.
Some sliding doors will just lift out of the tracks, but that's only good if there isn't a good lock system in place.
Many windows are not locked, so you can just open one.
Or go to the place where you have a "hide a key"....oh wait, I bet you don't have one of those.

It took only one trip to our mountain cabin forgetting the key to figure out a place to hide a key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 09:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Doesn't everyone know how to break into their own houses?

Old 04-20-2011, 09:55 PM

512 posts, read 1,183,295 times
Thank you for your replies anyway, I found a good one, that's it in this thread.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:57 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,878,952 times
Take a large rock or brick and throw it through the glass in the largest window in the house. After you get in, measure the window opening and go buy the glass to replace the broken window.
Simple, fast, efficient. And no help from anyone.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:53 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,046 times
I've drilled a lock when locked out of my apartment. Just be mindful that if you don't do it right, the consequence may be that you need to either call in a professional or take an axe to the door.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:29 AM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,145,124 times
Hi Moskiter,
I like the links and to be honest, I have always wanted a first hand account of how those techniques actually work( the pick gun is awesome!).
Personally, I would start in the middle of the lock with a 1/4" bit and then chase with a 3/8" or 1/2"bit and simply gut the tumbler cylinder out of the handle or deadbolt then use a screwdriver to pull or push the latch or deadbolt into the open position. It's ugly, but, it gets the lock out of the way. You can also drill out any screws, if you think about it further, and the deadbolt or lock will come apart. Please let us know how you do it! You are going to spend less on a new lock or two than you would spend on a locksmith!

Old 04-21-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIS View Post
Hi Moskiter,
I like the links and to be honest, I have always wanted a first hand account of how those techniques actually work( the pick gun is awesome!).
Personally, I would start in the middle of the lock with a 1/4" bit and then chase with a 3/8" or 1/2"bit and simply gut the tumbler cylinder out of the handle or deadbolt then use a screwdriver to pull or push the latch or deadbolt into the open position. It's ugly, but, it gets the lock out of the way. You can also drill out any screws, if you think about it further, and the deadbolt or lock will come apart. Please let us know how you do it! You are going to spend less on a new lock or two than you would spend on a locksmith!
And this is what I'm going to do if the pick gun (which I just ordered) won't work Thanks!

Old 04-21-2011, 01:46 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,665,285 times
To the folks rambling about locksmiths, did it ever occur to anyone that a "vacation home in another state", might be in a rather remote place, think house built on campsite near a lake kind of thing. There might not be any locksmiths that won't charge an arm and a leg to drive out there, if they would do it at all. My family used to vacation at a place in Maine like this, nearest "handyman" service was about 40 miles away.

Also, to sit around and talk about "not giving instruction on committing crimes on a public forum", get a grip. It's exceedingly easy to break into a house and no one needs the folks at City Data to tell them how to do it. Besides, criminals generally don't care if they cause damage, they want quick in and quick out.

I personally think the OP asked a legit question and at least he got his answer.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:32 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,786,434 times
That's just the way it is - especially for cars. There are loads of ways to get into those, but we don't talk about any of them with just anyone and after it's done the posts get deleted.

BTW the bump key sounds pretty cool... I'm ordering one for my place to mess around with after we move in, because with sellers like ours who knows how many kinds of keys to the place there are.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
That's just the way it is - especially for cars. There are loads of ways to get into those, but we don't talk about any of them with just anyone and after it's done the posts get deleted.
If selling pick guns is legal, posting videos on youtube too, why speaking about this on C-D shouldn't be? You can't pick in somebody's door lock, that's all. I bet there are locks that can't be open with a drill or a pick gun so if somebody feels unsafe change your locks! At least now you know how easy it is for a burglar to enter your house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House