U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-19-2011, 09:39 PM

513 posts, read 349,481 times
Default How to break into own house and not cause damage?

I own one small out-of-state vacation house, last time I was there I locked up both doors and all windows. Unfortunately my apartment in Chicago was robbed and the thieves stole both sets of keys to that house. I'm going there next month for summer and want to enter the house without anyone's help - I have all tools and can do simple renovation jobs - but I don't want to damage doors or break windows. Can anyone tell me how to break into there without causing damage? I will buy new locks but how to open the door? Is there a safe way to remove old locks without knocking down the door? I appreciate any help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 12:27 AM

4,285 posts, read 10,120,863 times
Why so insistent about entering with no one's help? Sounds a little off.

Call a locksmith and have him pop the lock for you.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:25 AM

5,081 posts, read 7,493,988 times
Call a locksmith, show something like a bill that says you own the place, and you're good to go. If we disclose all our breaking and entering secrets here, what's to say that someone else won't read it?

Old 04-20-2011, 04:47 AM

3,293 posts, read 10,411,264 times
Call a locksmith.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:04 AM

6,647 posts, read 20,724,030 times
How to break ...and not cause damage?

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Old 04-20-2011, 06:54 AM

3,350 posts, read 10,057,078 times
Breaking into the place, no matter how you do it will cause damage. A locksmith can open the door with no damage and be less expensive than repairing any damage done by breaking into the building. Make the arrangments before hand with a local locksmith to be there and open the door. That will make the opening easier and you can change the locks yourself and save money and be a handyman.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:22 AM
QIS

637 posts, read 1,609,994 times
Hi Moskiter,
It depends on how handy you are. If you are not handy or have any trades skills, the locksmith advice is spot on; if you are handy, maybe you can make a bump key which works with a variety of locks. You would have to know what make or type of lock is on there; it has to fit in initially like any other key prior to bumping. Just google it. This method has been around for a long, long time. I have always wanted to try it myself, so please let us know if you try it and it works!
If you don't want to try that ,you can just drill out the lock(s)with a cordless drill ! You are going to replace anyway, right?

Last edited by QIS; 04-20-2011 at 07:48 AM..

Old 04-20-2011, 08:23 AM

6,647 posts, read 20,724,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QIS View Post
Hi Moskiter,
It depends on how handy you are. If you are not handy or have any trades skills, the locksmith advice is spot on; if you are handy, maybe you can make a bump key which works with a variety of locks. You would have to know what make or type of lock is on there; it has to fit in initially like any other key prior to bumping. Just google it. This method has been around for a long, long time. I have always wanted to try it myself, so please let us know if you try it and it works!
If you don't want to try that ,you can just drill out the lock(s)with a cordless drill ! You are going to replace anyway, right?

Yeah, that's just what we need on C-D, someone encouraging others to break the law. Many states have enacted additions to their penal code that cover "tools use in the execution of a crime"- that addition is "bump keys".
Existing law provides that every person in possession of "specified tools"
with the intent to felonious break or enter into any building or other specified place is guilty of a misdemeanor.
Whether the OP owns the property or not is irrelevant because of the way the law is written- especially to a witness that doesn't know the owner of the property.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:23 AM

15,820 posts, read 30,869,110 times
I have had to do this for myself or for other people nearly a dozen times (I am somewhat absent minded). There are almost always ways to get in without damage or with little damage if you have a lot of time and are good at figuring things out. However every house is different. Some methods work well with older houses, other methods wrok only with newer houses. There are too many variables. It is unlikely that anyone can tell you anyhitng without having a few hours at least to look around your house and figure out how things are put together. Realistically, all you can do is try to figure it out and if you cannto come up with anything, get a locksmith.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:02 PM

22,187 posts, read 16,263,001 times
Old house with old basement window? These are usually very easy to get into because they are frequently lose and easy to open with little or no damage especially if you already know how it's locked beforehand. I used to deliver coal and occasionally the homeowner would forget to leave the window open, I've opened more than few. You'll need someone that can fit through the window of course, that's what teenagers are for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House