Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2007, 02:49 PM

150 posts, read 704,708 times

Advertisements

We're in the process of having our first home built and are deciding on what we would like the builder to put in. Is it advisable to have the builder put in the irrigation system in the front and back yard? Or is this something that could be done later, after we have moved in?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 03:09 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,946,524 times
Either way it will be done by a contractor so there is no real advantage with the builder except it can be part of your mortgage. If it was me I would wait until I have firmed up my landscape design.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:24 PM

289 posts, read 1,140,375 times
You're better off waiting and getting bids from several irrigation contractors (companies who do this all the time, not just some lawn-maintenance guys who can follow a Rainbird DIY manual), and then pick the one you want based on expertise, warrantys, and price.

There are big differences in quotes between companies for this sort of thing. I've had irrigation systems in every house I owned and I can tell you from experience that you usually get what you pay for. Low bid (builder special!) usually means half-A'd installation and with Home Depot quality parts.

Go for either Toro or Hunter systems, forget Rainbird.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:55 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,623,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4StanleyCups View Post
You're better off waiting and getting bids from several irrigation contractors (companies who do this all the time, not just some lawn-maintenance guys who can follow a Rainbird DIY manual), and then pick the one you want based on expertise, warrantys, and price.

There are big differences in quotes between companies for this sort of thing. I've had irrigation systems in every house I owned and I can tell you from experience that you usually get what you pay for. Low bid (builder special!) usually means half-A'd installation and with Home Depot quality parts.

Go for either Toro or Hunter systems, forget Rainbird.
Just switched most of my Hunter heads with Nelsons. They are much easier to adjust and the guts from a Nelson will fit right into a Hunter can so you dont have to remove the whole head. I agree with you on Rainbirds. I had a few some years back (360 spray heads) and had nothing but trouble with most of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House