Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 12:23 PM

218 posts, read 799,236 times

Advertisements

U-verse isn't an option here. Are your rates with DirectTV not locked in when you sign the contract? I didn't think they could change the rate once we sign a two year contract that would obligate us to pay more.

We're actually ok with the channel choices from DirectTV as it's comprable to what we get with cable right now (actually get more with DirectTV but not channels we'll watch so who cares).

We only have two TVs really, one in the living room and one in the office and plan to stick with two TVs in the new house. We don't want TV in the bedroom (well, wouldn't be bad for the guest room but we if we go satellite we aren't paying to put a receiver in there considering how little we'd actually use it). With it just being the two of us, we really don't have a need for more than two TVs and the only places a TV might get used aside from the living room and family room is the kitchen and craft room, but again, the use would be so minimal it's not really worth it to us.

If we ended up with cable I really think we'd be purchasing a second TV which means $500 for the box plus the additional monthly fee. I don't think they are doing lifetime memberships anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 08:52 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
I hate the dishes that people have to have installed for the direct tv, they are ugly, just ugly...and there is no getting arounf that.

I like the cable better.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:49 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
We switched to Directv last summer. We are happy with them.

The cable reception out here was horrible - it turned out that too many people were tapping into the line we were paying for. When they came out to 'fix it', the 5-6 people NOT paying for it would be disconnected. Then after the repair guy left, the thieving neighbors climbed back up and disconnected US - turns out we were the ONLY people on the block paying for it (rural neighborhood). After the third time, and squinting at the LOST finale through some MAJOR fuzz, we called and cancelled. They kept offering us more free service - but after the third time (the offer was up to 6 months) I told them that 12 free months of not having TV for 5 days out of 7 just wasn't worth it to me. The funniest part was that later they sent me a check for all those credits - nice bonus to reimburse us for missing most of LOST's finale.

Directv was here the next day, perfect picture, no neighbor issues. The cable company came out 3 days later, knocked on the door. I explained what happened - they removed all of their equipment. Some of the neighbors were griping because they'd been getting free cable for more than 5 years.

But when you're stealing cable, the person NOT to disconnect is the ONE guy paying for it. Just saying...

The satellite goes out every once in awhile due to the storms - but no more than our cable ever did anywhere else we lived. In one town, the system was down every 2-3 days because of "line maintenance". My satellite goes out for 10-15 minutes every 3-6 months. If my dh didn't keep the tv on 18 hours a day, I don't know that we ever would've noticed.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
You must live in a pretty bad neighborhood. You'll be lucky if they don't mess your dish up.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:45 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,729 times
I had bad experience with Direct TV.

My first experience was very positive. Back in the 1990s early 2000s.

So we always lusted after the "good old days" with Direct TV.

We decided to switch from cable and we told the guy at ATT that we wanted to try something else out. ATT has a 30 day guarantee. We got their triple play and it included direct tv.

After 2 days of having the system installed we were very dissatisfied. The Internet was not fast enough for all of our connections. And worst... we had just bought a large screen HD tv and MARVELED at how clear the picture was.
When I arrived home to find Direct TV hooked up... I was sick. Their HD tv channels were no where even CLOSE to the clarity of cable. No exaggeration!

We called within 72 hours to voice our unhappiness. A few more visits and we decided we better cut the ties before we get into a contract.

Oh no, what was that ATT?? The 30 day guarantee is only for ATT services, not direct tv. YOu mean there is a 2 YEAR CONTRACT THE MINUTE THE TECHNICIAN LEAVES... REGARDLESS OF YOUR SATISFACTION OF THE SERVICES... YOU ARE STUCK WITH IT???

I couldn't take that LOUSY picture. I canceled any way. I am hoping to make a deal with direct tv since I actually never signed the contract... I wasn't home at the time. (A relative was at home and actually signed). The only time it was revealed that there WAS a contract was when signing off that the work was done and completed.

I was willing to pay for the services used for that month and even the installation charges... but I think to pay for FUTURE service even if said services are substandard is ludicrous.

So BOO! Direct TV.

Last edited by kcam213; 05-04-2011 at 08:55 PM..

Old 05-09-2011, 08:05 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Where I live I only have two options. Comcast or Direct TV. Since Comcast has a monopoly they charge more and I am not fond of their service so I looked into the Direct TV. I did not like the contract set up. I already have to deal with that crap with cell phones and was not about to get hooked into it with a TV service. no thanks.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:13 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I have directv, and live in Florida, where it rains every afternoon in the summer.
The "searching for signal" screen seldom lasts more than 10 minutes for an average thunderstorm, as they are fast-moving.
The worst is when there is a tropical storm, but I have a weather radio for that.
Hope that helps for that portion of your question, I have high-speed internet through the phone company, no cable out where I live.
Agree, same experience. We'll be into a new house next month and after 12 years with DirectV we'll be bundling with Comcast. I don't think either is perfect though but the 'searching for signal' was a real pia.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:20 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
We switched to Directv last summer. We are happy with them.

The cable reception out here was horrible - it turned out that too many people were tapping into the line we were paying for. When they came out to 'fix it', the 5-6 people NOT paying for it would be disconnected. Then after the repair guy left, the thieving neighbors climbed back up and disconnected US - turns out we were the ONLY people on the block paying for it (rural neighborhood). After the third time, and squinting at the LOST finale through some MAJOR fuzz, we called and cancelled. They kept offering us more free service - but after the third time (the offer was up to 6 months) I told them that 12 free months of not having TV for 5 days out of 7 just wasn't worth it to me. The funniest part was that later they sent me a check for all those credits - nice bonus to reimburse us for missing most of LOST's finale.

Directv was here the next day, perfect picture, no neighbor issues. The cable company came out 3 days later, knocked on the door. I explained what happened - they removed all of their equipment. Some of the neighbors were griping because they'd been getting free cable for more than 5 years.

But when you're stealing cable, the person NOT to disconnect is the ONE guy paying for it. Just saying...

The satellite goes out every once in awhile due to the storms - but no more than our cable ever did anywhere else we lived. In one town, the system was down every 2-3 days because of "line maintenance". My satellite goes out for 10-15 minutes every 3-6 months. If my dh didn't keep the tv on 18 hours a day, I don't know that we ever would've noticed.
i think one of your neighbors moved next to me as she is stealing my cable(married boyfriend tapped into it)--so we are looking into dish or direct--i appreciate the info

Old 05-10-2011, 08:54 AM

218 posts, read 799,236 times
The contract is what makes us really cautious about DirectTV. I hate the thought of being stuck for 2 years even if we don't like the service, especially since we'd only be saving $20 per month over that time frame. We've not called yet so I don't know what the cancellation fee would be if we quit early.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:15 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pers View Post
The contract is what makes us really cautious about DirectTV. I hate the thought of being stuck for 2 years even if we don't like the service, especially since we'd only be saving $20 per month over that time frame. We've not called yet so I don't know what the cancellation fee would be if we quit early.

I'm in Michigan. For 1 year 11 months it is $465.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House